The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-19-2018, 10:09 AM

Default I hate working with a tablet.

Yes I know hate is a strong word - but I can't come up with anything stronger.
I am trying to rely on an android tablet for lyrics and charts. Personally, I don't have a desire to read while I play, but three different projects, and constant influx of new material necessitates it. I tried an app called fakebook pro, based on some reviews, but found it to be useless for my needs.

At this point I have given up on pdfs, and have taken a pic of every page, and just view them from the gallery. But it seems I cannot even arrange gallery folders alphabetically? Seriously? It will only arrange date date/time taken - so I have to retake all pages every time the sets change?

Please tell me this is all user error, and it can be a useful tool as opposed to a constant source of frustration.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 09-19-2018, 10:15 AM

I have gone to a jam where one person has had an Android tablet and two have iPads with page turners. They seemed really happy with their setups.

I've not gone that far. I've used an iPad for home playing and learning. For some things it beats my 3 ring binders or my bluegrass "fake book". If the person leading the jam says page _ in the fake book I do that or move within eyesight of someone who does.

It seems to me there are good solutions. All summer I volunteer as an ambassador for activities at our neighborhood biergarten on evenings they have performers. It's not uncommon to see players have what usually looks like an iPad.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
For some things it beats my 3 ring binders or my bluegrass "fake book".
Thats the thing - I can reorganize the binder for every gig in a few minutes. But the page turns are awkward, and it's big and does not look good imo. I like the idea of the pedal page turner, but that's of no use if the "pages" , (in my case pics), are not in order.
I can't get them in order.
I literally spend more time fooling with this than working up the tunes. I must have the wrong app, or cannot figure out how to use it, despite much investigation.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 09-19-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
At this point I have given up on pdfs, and have taken a pic of every page, and just view them from the gallery. But it seems I cannot even arrange gallery folders alphabetically? Seriously? It will only arrange date date/time taken - so I have to retake all pages every time the sets change?
I don't use an Adroid device, but a Google search pointed to this app as fitting your bill:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...older&hl=en_US

Last edited by jhmulkey; 09-19-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

I am a technophile and a computer "expert". I got a tablet and thought it would be the next logical step for me.

I hated it so much. I can't stand doing any work on a "smart" device and I hate typing on a screen. I couldn't even stand holding it to watch a video.

It collects dust on my bookshelf.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 09-19-2018, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Ihave peole cme to play at my club, using pads of various kinds, but I still prefer my four ring binders.

At one tmie I had a solo binder, one for each of my trios and on for the bluegrass band.

All my songs are printed out, usually in 14 pt on one A4 page, I mostly have chords over words but rarely need them - it's the lyrics and the arrangements that I occasionally need to glance down at.

"Who plays the intro ?"
"What's the 1st line of the third verse ?"
"What's the Key/speed/intro comment?"
"who takes the second solo me or Bob? etc.

Nowadays I only play solo or with one trio which is sometimes a quartet, so much of my old rep has been absorbed into one so we have an enormous repertoire.

When we go out to play I like to know exactly how long we are booked to play, and work on 4 minutes a song.
Once we have planned the set (or two) I take those sheets out and put them in a smaller binder.

Our bass player works with A5 binders because he doesn't need the words just a reminder of the key, and quirks in the progression, and the arrangement.

Seems to work.

We can go from one number to the next with a quick turn of a page during applause and tuning check, whereas the ipad folks seem to take ages to do the same thing.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:33 AM

Been using Songbook for over a year and I have to say it's gone very well. I also hate typing on a screen, but Songbook is also available for Windows and Apple IOS. Everything lives in the cloud via Dropbox so I can arrange a song on the PC and access it on the tablet or phone. It also allows me to share my songs with others. Songbook also has the ability to create and re-sort Setlists. Also does auto-scroll for songs and/or Setlists. Did I mention key changes?

Definitely not as straightforward as a binder of pdfs, but IMHO the added features make it worth a test drive.

Good Luck!

LEFTY
Martin Custom Shop 000-28
Taylor 312ce 12-fret
Crafter TA 080/AM
Old 09-19-2018, 12:07 PM

Another Songbook user here ... and for the same reasons as the OP. Several projects, often same songs but in different keys, different arrangements, etc. Besides lyrics and chords (I rarely chart the chords) I can add notes. A "playlist" is good for a set list, you can transpose on the fly (if you chart the chords). Uses standard ChordPro files. I do most of my editing on the desktop, and then move to the tablet. Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android versions available. The best of the breed IMO. Been using it for several years now.

http://www.linkesoft.com/songbook
Old 09-19-2018, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

I use MusicSheets on both Android and Windows 10.

Work great with a page turner, and I can organize the songs (in PDF format) into various list as needed.

Check it out.

D
Old 09-19-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodgeh View Post
I use MusicSheets on both Android and Windows 10.

Work great with a page turner, and I can organize the songs (in PDF format) into various list as needed.

Check it out.

D
Interesting. Will it do the same with photos, as opposed to pdfs?
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 09-19-2018, 01:04 PM

For the last 4 years or so I have used OnSong on my iPad for playing in our Praise Band. We edit the files in Word and then generate a PDF with various colors for verse, bridge, chorus, etc. and chords above the lyrics. The songs are then stored in Dropbox where I pull them into the iPad and OnSong.

At times we'll have two or three iPads with OnSong and those are connected to mine via the app and then I control them all with my pedal.

I use an AirPed to scroll down and move to the next song. It really works good.

David

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 09-19-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
At this point I have given up on pdfs, and have taken a pic of every page, and just view them from the gallery.
How firm are you on your decision to give up on PDFs? I'm asking because I don't know of a way to flip through images in a specific order in a song book type format but you've gotten several options here on how to do it with PDF.

You might want to reconsider going back to the PDF route.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:45 PM

I cannot recommend Onsong app enough! I am a worship leader and am constantly creating, editing, adjusting, adding to, taking way...(you get the picture) setlists! Onsong gives me the freedom to change things on the fly even change the key at the press of a button and send setlists containing pdf files of all the songs to my band on a weekly basis. I have over 650 songs saved on my device and any one of them can be brought up within a second at the touch of a finger. I use an Ipad with a page turner so I don't have the awkward page turns during worship. With an ever changing song and personnel lineup, I don't think I could do it without it anymore. Jmho
Taylor 214ce DLX (Sunburst)
Old 09-19-2018, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Interesting. Will it do the same with photos, as opposed to pdfs?
Yes, it appears to work with image files as well.

D
Old 09-19-2018, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Another Onsong user here
I like the auto scroll feature, which for me eliminates the need for a foot switch page turner within any one given song .

Just set it for the time frame of the song duration i.e. 3:23 and then you can have the font big enough to be easily seen and it scrolls the correct speed based on the song duration time

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic