The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
It's on the bedside table. It doubles as my alarm. I also have an 87 year old mother in assisting living that has multiple cardiac issues. I need to be available in case of emergency.
This is a good reason IMO. I have a teenage son with severe autism with a history of not sleeping through the night and constantly searching for ways to escape the house and wander. I am going to be installing a home security system that includes motion sensors and a night vision cameras throughout my house so that I can monitor him via my cell phone so that I don’t have to be by his side 24/7.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Musical minimalist

I have a duffel bag I bring home from work with "stuff" in it. The flip phone (yes, you read that right) is in one of the pockets zipped up and doesn't come out until I get to work the next morning. The duffel is in my 9 by 10 bedroom, but given the fact I only use about 100 minutes a month, you won't find me on it between the hours of 7pm and 7am very often.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:42 AM

We have ALL been exposed to radio waves, and microwaves etc., for our entire lives. A signal will still penetrate your skull, and go right through your brain, no matter how far you are from the source. Think about this, the cell phone tower sends out the signal, it travels in some case miles to reach your phone, the signal goes right through the walls on your house, or through the car you are riding in. So moving your cell phone 6 feet away is not going to stop a thing.

If you have an Xray, you will be exposed to more radiation than 10 cell phones.
Has there ever been a single case where a cell phone was blamed for brain cancer ?

Ed
Old 09-17-2018, 11:45 AM

My cell is on my dresser within arm's reach. I have the volume turned off and all the apps shut down.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:16 PM

I pre-pay to make calls out, not to put a chain around my neck for various folk to jerk! I turn my phone off at night------the land line is listed in the book for the serious stuff!

Fog
Old 09-17-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogducker View Post
I pre-pay to make calls out, not to put a chain around my neck for various folk to jerk! I turn my phone off at night------the land line is listed in the book for the serious stuff!

Fog
You bring up an interesting point. I bet that most of us that keep our cell phones on the night stand do not have land lines anymore. My cell phone is my ONLY phone. My parents have both a land line and a cell phone so, of course, they shut their cells off at night.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:33 PM

Mine is on the dresser about 8 feet away, plugged in to the charger overnight, but with the ringer turned off. If I am expecting an important call (wife needs to be picked up at the airport, someone is in the hospital, etc) I put it on the head board within easy reach.

I don't happen to believe in the "threat" of EMF/radio wave exposure. In the course of a typical day, I have at least 30 other more serious things to worry about than EMF exposure - including meteorites falling through the roof and shark attacks. As was pointed out already, we have all been bathed in a sea of radio and TV waves for all of our lives. And we also use an electric blanket sometimes, which literally wraps us in an electro-magnetic field. Plus I grew up next door to an electrical substation with 120 kV lines coming in and going out. While we woke up a couple of times with fire trucks in the yard (transformer fire) that was the only affect we could tell.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I don't happen to believe in the "threat" of EMF/radio wave exposure. In the course of a typical day, I have at least 30 other more serious things to worry about than EMF exposure - including meteorites falling through the roof and shark attacks. As was pointed out already, we have all been bathed in a sea of radio and TV waves for all of our lives. And we also use an electric blanket sometimes, which literally wraps us in an electro-magnetic field. Plus I grew up next door to an electrical substation with 120 kV lines coming in and going out. While we woke up a couple of times with fire trucks in the yard (transformer fire) that was the only affect we could tell.
So Earl, if I were to tell you that EMF radiation may cause G-A-S, what would you say to that, hmmmm????
Old 09-17-2018, 01:02 PM

I have a cell phone that I use solely for calls and messages...I just got a new one a couple of months ago, and the first thing I did was turn off all the apps, widgets, notifications, and whistles and bells...it rings for a call and it chimes for a text...other than that, it keeps it's yap shut...

I think it's tremendously handy for necessary communication when I'm out and about (I have a land line at home that I can answer from several locations) and I don't want to return to the "good ole days" before cells were available...

And after my friends and family came to understand that I'm not surgically attached to the cell, you may not get an immediate text reply, and I'll return your call when I walk by the cell phone wherever it may be in the house, we've all co existed peacefully...
Old 09-17-2018, 01:22 PM

I have no idea where it is when I sleep.
I never keep it near me.

Actually I don't keep it anywhere in particular.
That's why I often forget where I left it and have to ask someone to call me to locate it by sound.
I rarely even take it with me when I leave the house.

I hate the things.

Last edited by Tico; 09-17-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:11 PM

I keep mine on the dresser across the room to force myself to physically get up to turn off my alarm. If I left it on the nightstand next to my bed, I'd be too tempted to snooze the alarm all the time.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:30 PM

It's in my car, and no, I don't sleep in my car.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 09-17-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
It's in my car, and no, I don't sleep in my car.
I take it that it's in your car 24x7 for emergencies?
Old 09-17-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
So Earl, if I were to tell you that EMF radiation may cause G-A-S, what would you say to that, hmmmm????
Well then, guilty as charged Rick. I have been exposed to a lot of EMF over my lifetime. And a fair amount of radiation too. Some who know me well believe that explains a LOT. I've rarely been accused of being "normal".

But GAS is a late-in-life development that tracks directly with my disposable income level and my appreciation for fine guitars.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
... But GAS is a late-in-life development that tracks directly with my disposable income level and my appreciation for fine guitars.
So it's not the beans?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic