The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-16-2018, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

So, we were under a mandatory evacuation order here from hurricane Florence the last few days. I told my wife, that the only thing I was gonna take with us for sure was my X20...not any of the wooden guitars. Yes, the tone, the ease of playing...etc. does it for me.

As it turned out, we stayed put...but just saying...
Old 09-16-2018, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

When I bought my first CF I bought two different brands. The first was a Rainsong Smokey Hybrid which I read used CF and fiberglass which made the tone warmer than a straight CF guitar. The second one was a CA GX Performer which was one great looking CF guitar and I wanted to like that one the best as I was going to sell the one that didn't fit my playing style. And like you I loved the sound of my Gibson AJ and my other Slopes that I had had over the years so I was looking for a full sounding guitar when driven hard and sweet when hitting it lightly..................I am not the greatest player but I do love to sing and I found the Rainsong Smokey Hybrid to deliver what I needed. The CA just didn't fit my style tho it would for someone playing finger style.......Give a Rainsong Smokey Hybrid a try it just might hit you just right and even tho it's in the lower price range of the Rainsong line up it's a true winner...
Curt
Old 09-16-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM View Post
Give a Rainsong Smokey Hybrid a try it just might hit you just right and even tho it's in the lower price range of the Rainsong line up it's a true winner...
The Smokey was discontinued but in the lower price range Rainsong has the concert hybrid series now. I expect the CH-WS to be close to the sound of a Smokey. Except that it has a unidirectional soundboard, so it may even sound better.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 09-16-2018, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

I'm pretty sure the H- series Rainsongs are the same as the Smokey except for a gloss finish and better electronics.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:55 AM
Guest 928

John;

I really like your tag line--Happiness is underrated and the world could sure use more of it. The makers of CF guitars are certainly doing their part.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber