The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-07-2018, 12:08 AM
AGF Sponsor

zandit75: Laurelyn really only knows about the one type of tuner, and may have never seen washers under the ferrules as none of the open back “Waverly-esque” tuners I favor use them. Those washers are more common on Grover rotomatic type tuners such as the Schaller M6 or the Gotoh 510.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

WOW! Congratulations Laurelyn...this is an amazing looking guitar. I am grateful to have been able to follow along. Thank you for sharing your summers journey with us.

Please continue building guitars, even if it is just as a hobby.

I cannot wait to hear the sound clips.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 09-07-2018, 07:10 AM

Hey, Laurelyn, I have an idea. Talk your dad into trading one of his guitars for yours! He admitted that yours sounded better than his latest, the black limba. You could sell his guitar for a bit more money than you could get for yours, and he wouldn't be able to bring himself to sell your guitar - it would become a family heirloom. Win/win situation! (Except Bruce might be out a little cash. )
Old 09-07-2018, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Will this guitar be visiting Woodstock, if not sold before then?

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 09-07-2018, 09:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Will this guitar be visiting Woodstock, if not sold before then?
Baker asked me to forego WILS this year. In fact he begged me as he knows I could have talked him into it. Unfortunately, there won’t be a WILS next year, and that means I won’t have another chance at it till 2020. I probably should have talked Baker into it anyway, so, as they say, hindsight is 2020 .

I have been thinking that I will regret not hanging onto Laurelyn’s first guitar as it is a true symbol of our relationship. But all of my guitars are symbols of the the time in my life they were built during, and it is hard to draw a line. Can’t keep them all, and I have far more guitars than makes any kind of sense, so I continue to practice unattachment.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
zandit75: Laurelyn really only knows about the one type of tuner, and may have never seen washers under the ferrules as none of the open back “Waverly-esque” tuners I favor use them. Those washers are more common on Grover rotomatic type tuners such as the Schaller M6 or the Gotoh 510.
Well there you go, I didn't realise that! You learn something new everyday!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 09-07-2018, 07:39 PM

I will be the first to ask while the experience is still fresh, so do you see yourself making another one some day?
Old 09-24-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
I will be the first to ask while the experience is still fresh, so do you see yourself making another one some day?
The future is unforeseen! I had such a great summer building the guitar, and it’s so true that as I built it my mind was constantly noting what I would do differently the next time. But it’s very time consuming and I wouldn’t be able to do it unless it paid the bills. But I have been considering trying my hand at a quick and dirty uke for personal use.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:49 PM

Hey, all! It’s been a while since I’ve posted. I just starting my new job and have been so busy. It’s hard being back to work in an office setting after having such a wonderful summer working in the shop.

Yesterday, my dad hosted an NCAL meeting at his shop. After speaking to him about it last night, I am pleased to report that people had nothing but good things to say about my guitar! It makes me so happy to know it lives up to the expectations set.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Lauralyn,
I was at the meeting yesterday and had the opportunity to play your guitar. What a wonderful instrument you created! The bloodline certainly shows. Listening to Bruce talk about it was a joy. I'm sure you know how proud of you he is.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

I’ll second that! My personal favorite guitar is a mahogany/adirondack mini D that your dad built, and everything I love about that guitar was clearly evident in yours - the smaller body size was extremely comfortable, and its voice was clear and solid across the board. A truly great guitar, regardless of all else. You know my wife, so you know why I’m not negotiating to add it to my collection - but maybe after Italy - ;-)
Old 09-26-2018, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I was off the board for a bit and missed the meeting. I am hoping to get over to your dad’s shop at some point. Glad to hear that the guitar was well received.

Best,
Jayne
Old 09-30-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradHall View Post
Lauralyn,
I was at the meeting yesterday and had the opportunity to play your guitar. What a wonderful instrument you created! The bloodline certainly shows. Listening to Bruce talk about it was a joy. I'm sure you know how proud of you he is.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate your insight and am happy you were able to play it! It's still a surreal feeling to know so many people have played and enjoyed this instrument I build...I can't get over it!
Old 09-30-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
I’ll second that! My personal favorite guitar is a mahogany/adirondack mini D that your dad built, and everything I love about that guitar was clearly evident in yours - the smaller body size was extremely comfortable, and its voice was clear and solid across the board. A truly great guitar, regardless of all else. You know my wife, so you know why I’m not negotiating to add it to my collection - but maybe after Italy - ;-)
Thank you!! This really means a lot to me. The fact that it is even comparable to my dads work is such a compliment on its own. I'm happy you enjoyed playing it!

P.s. Hope you're having a blast in Italy!
Old 09-30-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I was off the board for a bit and missed the meeting. I am hoping to get over to your dad’s shop at some point. Glad to hear that the guitar was well received.

Best,
Jayne
I'm so sorry you weren't able to make it to the meeting. I really hope you make it to the shop to play it! I would love to find out your opinion! On the bright side of missing the meeting, when you do make it to the shop you can get some quality time with the instrument instead of sharing it with everyone else!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop