The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-28-2016, 04:18 PM
Guest 1928

A dovetail is lightweight, elegant, and stable. It also allows for a more elegantly sculpted heel. If given a choice, I vastly prefer dovetail construction. However, I won't turn my nose up at a guitar just because of a bolt-on neck. My Proulx OM/D is a fine instrument, as is my Weber Big Sky.

That said, some versions of bolt-on necks such as the Bourgeois shown above and Taylor N/T neck have a lot of hardware and structure to support the design. Too much hardware can change the balance of a guitar in ways that I do not particularly like.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:28 PM

Charles Fox had a very well-thought out bolt-on neck joint in his CFox line:

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Feat...ox/cfox01.html
1999 CFox 'Frisco' concert w/ Trance Amulet MV
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e RW
2020 Goodall KCJ
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 06-28-2016, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

And we can't forget to include Huss & Dalton among the builders who use bolt-on necks.

Mark Dalton: "The benefits of a bolt on neck are serviceability. The butt joint we use provides better wood to wood solid contact than other types of joints."

Here it is being connected.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 06-28-2016 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

I own examples of both. My favorite guitar is a Martin with an M&T joint. I can't imagine there is only one best way to attach a neck. Take the guitar as a whole.

I'll take pepperoni too.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:49 PM

I have high quality examples of both and I prefer the tone of my bolt on guitars.

For many years I was a die hard dove tail user but over time I realized I actually like the sound of bolt on guitars better.

Doerr/Taylor
Old 06-28-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
A dovetail is lightweight, elegant, and stable. It also allows for a more elegantly sculpted heel. If given a choice, I vastly prefer dovetail construction. However, I won't turn my nose up at a guitar just because of a bolt-on neck. My Proulx OM/D is a fine instrument, as is my Weber Big Sky.

That said, some versions of bolt-on necks such as the Bourgeois shown above and Taylor N/T neck have a lot of hardware and structure to support the design. Too much hardware can change the balance of a guitar in ways that I do not particularly like.
Being as most of the added mass is located near the centre of gravity of the guitar, I can't see it upsetting the balance too much. For sure there will be some added weight though.

Doerr/Taylor

Last edited by sbeirnes; 06-28-2016 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeirnes View Post
Being as most of the added mass is located near the centre of gravity of the guitar, I can't see it upsetting the balance too much. For sure their will be some added weight though.
I totally agree, my Bourgeois is just as balanced as my Martin's and I don't notice any weight issues.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

I would like a luthier that does an excellent job on my guitar if I'm paying $6000 for it. And that includes the neck joint. The luthier's skills are what you are paying for. So I want as much of his talent and skills as I can get. The wood is not that expensive compared to the cost of a finished guitar. Anyone can tighten a bolt.

Peace
Old 06-28-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I would like a luthier that does an excellent job on my guitar if I'm paying $6000 for it. And that includes the neck joint. The luthier's skills are what you are paying for. So I want as much of his talent and skills as I can get. The wood is not that expensive compared to the cost of a finished guitar. Anyone can tighten a bolt.

Peace
If this implies that someone gets more for their $ simply because the guitar has a dovetail neck joint then I would say that is convoluted reasoning.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

I'm not advocating for either, but it is interesting to note that many of the guitars we routinely recognize as being outstanding have bolt-on necks. Here is a small sample of some builders that use bolt on connections. The point is, a great guitar is not dependent on a dovetail neck joint.

Goodall
Collings
Bourgeois
Huss & Dalton
Froggy Bottom
Taylor
Bashkin
Breedlove
Baranik
Ryan
Beneteau, and on and on.......
Old 06-28-2016, 06:34 PM

I don't care what kind of neck it is as long as the guitar sounds and plays the way I want. In my lifetime I've owned both and been happy with them.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post

In what ways, Todd? Is that something you can really feel? Because I have played both and the feel and balance of the guitar doesn't seem to change. Of course, YMMV.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:42 PM

I have seen lots of arguments on this forum debating whether something as minor as bridge pin and saddle/nut material affect tone. So I am not surprised to see arguments on both sides of the bolt on neck issue. I suppose the logical answer is that neck join methods do have an affect on tone, but can you really
tell? Most likely the answer to that question is...another argument!

All I know is I have 3 amazing guitars, a Goodall RS, a Larrivee D10 Brazilian,
and a Larrivee JCL 40th Anniversary Edition. The Larrivees have hand fit dovetail
necks, while the Goodall has a bolt on. All 3 guitars are hand made and sound amazing. I have met Jean Larrivee and have great respect for his tried and true approach and 50 years of experience. I also have great respect for James Goodall and his 40+ years of experience. I would never say one is right, and one
is wrong.

I have another debate question....does the fact that my Larrivees have rosewood binding, and the Goodall has koa, does that affect the tone????
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 06-28-2016, 07:46 PM

The various ways of attaching a neck to a body are fairly limited, after all.
Take a quick spin around some of the audio forums, and the controversy
over different wires/tubes/plugs &c. make any neck attachment discussion
seem pretty tame !
Old 06-28-2016, 07:57 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodi_55 View Post
In what ways, Todd? Is that something you can really feel? Because I have played both and the feel and balance of the guitar doesn't seem to change. Of course, YMMV.
As I'm handling the guitar I feel more weight in the neck area. Hard to quantify, but I perceive it. When I'm wearing the guitar with a strap, I can feel a bit more tug at the neck side of the guitar.

However, I spend most of my time playing vintage Martins. With a dovetail neck joint, no L-shaped neck block, and no truss rod extension, the vintage Martins balance quite differently than even modern Martins. It's just something I notice.

The only bolt-on neck guitar I've owned and played for any length of time is my Proulx OM/D. It's cocobolo which is heavy to begin with, but Mario put considerable effort into lightening the guitar including using spruce neck and end blocks. I can still feel it in that guitar, but not so much that it distracts terribly from my enjoyment of the Proulx. My audience is no better off either way.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion