The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-24-2013, 03:45 PM

Default Switched to my left leg

I have always rested my guitar on my right leg and up until I started fingerpicking it wasn't a problem. Since fingerpicking I had developed a pain in my right shoulder and sometimes a numbness in my fingers. Today I switched to putting the guitar on my left leg and I found that first of all I could fingerpick better, also the pain in my shoulder went away as did the numbness in my fingers. Wow, I learn something new every day.

My arms are very long and when I put the guitar on my right leg I have to draw back my arm so I am not picking right over the end of the fretboard. With it on my left knee, my hand is right over the sound hole without me having to pull back on my arm to get my hand there. This is much more comfortable.

Kate Wolf

Epiphone Hummingbird Studio
Martin 000-10e
Old 10-24-2013, 03:47 PM

So then where does the lower bout rest....between your legs? Do you prop up your left leg?

"We are music fingered by the gods." ~ Mark Nepo
Old 10-24-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaMom View Post
So then where does the lower bout rest....between your legs? Do you prop up your left leg?
The lower bout is between my legs. Tonight I used a shoe box to put my left foot on. That helped me raise the neck which also made it easier for my picking hand to be more accurate.

Kate Wolf

Epiphone Hummingbird Studio
Martin 000-10e
Old 10-24-2013, 07:43 PM

I don't have long arms, but I tend to fingerpick over the fretboard. I just prefer it that way, and it is easier access for fingertapping and harmonics. Maybe it's a bit for the opposite reason too. I can easily reach over the guitar really comfortable that way, instead of reaching around the bulk of it. |To me, it feels like the guitar was designed to be that way.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:34 AM

I grew up learning classical guitar with the guitar on my left leg using a footstool. This definitely changes the angle of the guitar neck, your right hand, arm, wrist, etc. and makes certain things easier.

I also played electric and other styles on my right leg and later switched back to the right leg for many classical pieces. Just be careful because if the left leg is elevated with a footstool, many people run into back problems. Recently, many players keep both feet flat but use a cushion or frame between the left leg and the guitar. Also, some classical, flamenco, and other hybrid players balance the guitar towards a 45 degree angle with the lower bout on the right leg, between legs, or balance the guitar on both legs!
Old 11-06-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Raccoon View Post
. Just be careful because if the left leg is elevated with a footstool, many people run into back problems.
Bingo. I find the classical position is better for my playing but horrible for my back.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:29 PM

Over the left leg with a strap keeping the neck in place is the most comfortable for me (and it keeps it how I hold the guitar when standing to boot!).
Old 11-06-2013, 07:33 PM

Interesting. I did the opposite. I started playing with the guitar resting on my left leg with the bout between my legs but have moved to holding it on my right leg so my left leg is completely free for tapping my heel along with the playing.

For me, the bonus with this is I now have a single position that's pretty much the same for sitting on the sofa playing, sitting on a high stool with a strap or standing with a strap. I play almost 90% of my songs fingerstyle with the pads of my fingers, not my nails.

One advantage I found to having it on my left leg was the neck was higher and it was easier to see how I was fingering the chords.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write