The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-25-2018, 08:34 AM

AMI cannot market guitars in the USA under the Sigma name due to some ongoing legality issue. The guitars that come to the US will just have the AMI logo .... but they are the same guitars as the current models under the Sigma brand that are found every where else.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
My l early 80's Sigma sounded like plywood. I'll reserve judgment, however. It would be unreasonable to bear a grudge for 35 years.
I/ve seen some of these thru the years in pawn shops with the action about 1/4 high. I have one of the made in Japan models from the early to mid 70's. Still a great playing/sounding guitar.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:11 PM

Looks like a last year's interest only, yet I think new Sigmas are enormous deals in mid range guitars. By mid range I mean the overall quality and sound, not price point, the latter for many here would be low range in more than half models offered.

They are all reportedly made in Cort factory where they certainly have skilled craftsman and quality mass production line too.

Two guitars I have recently acquired sort of put the two brands together for me. The Cort Gold OC6 spells high quality from finish to sound and play-ability.

The other is something of an odd ball model and I'd have to guess some of the story behind it. Sigma has a high end models calling them Limited with MSRP in 2k range. There are only few made of each whenever they opt to make them.

Mine is odd, although directly relates and is of identical specs as 000B-45VS+ Limited from 2018 model line-up with 48 pcs made, yet mine does not officially exist in Sigma's public system and I bought it from a German seller who clearly deals with a lot of Sigmas (and some Martins). His story is that it was to be sold in US market under "augmented" model name S000-45S+ Limited. Not sure whether it was to be then it died off, or idea was scrapped. These sell under straight bidding so each will go for a different price. No idea how many he's got as he appears to be listing them one at a time and a so-called "new-open box" moniker. I tend to believe (this is my part to the story) that Sigma may have picked the 48 pcs for its VS model and then allowed the remaining stock to hit the market under different terms.

Given that my cost was just over 700 EUR and then what arrived ... I was stunned. My Cort Gold OC6, which BTW is very fresh model that hit market I think in October this year, sells for around 800 EUR (IMHO well worth it), the Sigma came in at less than that and yet dwarfs it in every department with projection volume being about same. and the hard shell custom fit case is a matching complement too (love that embroidered logo, great touch)

Take away the 12 vs. 14 fret idiosyncrasies and there is no contest, even if I do not regret getting the Cort at all.

Moral to this post is that Cort factory can deliver a high end product, Sigma has quality control to deliver same to end customer, and this particular model is surely a contender in 5k range guitars in sound AND craftsmanship.

Sure, so long as there is China written somewhere, it will never get the recognition it deserves and value is unlikely to increase over time. So be it.
Ibanez AVN11
Ibanez AW4000-BS
Alvarez Blues51WE TSB
Alvarez LJ60
Old 12-14-2019, 06:16 PM

It is also my understanding that AMI has finally put to rest all legal matters to Sigma name and will be hitting US market at full speed.

AMI-guitars
Ibanez AVN11
Ibanez AW4000-BS
Alvarez Blues51WE TSB
Alvarez LJ60
Old 12-14-2019, 06:19 PM

It is also my understanding that AMI has finally put to rest all legal matters to Sigma name and is on US market no longer as some Kindred thing.

AMI-guitars
Ibanez AVN11
Ibanez AW4000-BS
Alvarez Blues51WE TSB
Alvarez LJ60
Old 03-04-2020, 07:31 AM

Default Extract from a commercial

Here´s an extract found at e*ay. Can´t but say that I am a little bit concerned by the fact they call laminated back and sides for rosewood. :-/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sigma-000R-...UAAOSwPRteXWf1

Totally amazing guitar! Rosewood back and sides (I believe this is no longer available). Has been fitted with Fishman Presys Blend preamp and Sonicore pickup. Never gigged, and the pickup only used for tuning.

The 000R-28VS is a great sounding, solid wood, acoustic that punches way above its price bracket. Originally part of Martin Guitars, Sigmas are very similar to their higher end cousins but affordable enough to be a first guitar.

Versatile and Distinctive

With Indian rosewood back and sides and a solid spruce top construction this guitar has a solid mid range tone, similar to mahogany, with a nice deep bass tone thats great for playing the blues. It's an incredibly versatile instrument so you can easily play any style you want.

If you're new to playing guitar you want one that's comfortable, well setup and easy to play and Sigmas are a great choice that wont hurt your wallet. While your learning your guitar will take a bit of a bashing, this guitar is tough enough to bear with you while your technique improves.

If you're a more experienced player you'll find the warm bass and bright high end makes both finger picking and strumming sound fantastic. The neck is a little thicker than other sigma guitars which means the tone is heavier. If you have longer fingers or just like a bit more power in your strumming you'll find the extra width very usefull.

Join the Sigma family

Sigma Guitars was launched in 1970 and has since established an excellent reputation amongst musicians. They produce outstanding quality guitars with solid construction and amazing sound quality. Sigma pay their undivided attention to every step of the construction process with specially trained staff in the most efficient guitar factories in China.

Sigma guitars are very popular. There are forums, websites and fanpages dedicated to them and its rare to see a second hand one on the market. All of that speaks volumes about the quality and care that goes into making them and how well they play and with a wide range to choose from you're sure to find a guitar that works for you.

Specifications
·Top: Solid Sitka Spruce

·Back & Sides: Indian Rosewood

·Neck: Mahogany

·Nut: Bone

·Saddle: Bone/Compensated

·Fingerboard: Indian Rosewood

·Scale Length: 25.4"

·Width at Nut: 44.5mm

·Tuning Machines: Nickel, Grover Open Gear

·Finish: Natural
Old 03-04-2020, 09:04 AM

Im impressed by the current AMI/Sigma guitars. I wanted a beater for pub gigs and found the OMM-ST which was available left handed and with a wider nut width, unusual in a budget guitar. The top is a pale unappealing spruce, and the tuners a bit vague (easily replaced of course), but surprisingly its the guitar I pick up most, its playability is excellent. Recommended.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:45 AM

Interesting that they feature Martin-style headstocks for all the natural guitars, and Gibson(ish) headstocks for all the bursts.

The S000M-18E looks intriguing. All-solid sitka/mahogany, with an ebony fingerboard and bone nut & saddle. I wouldn't mind playing one if there's ever a dealer in the PNW.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
Interesting that they feature Martin-style headstocks for all the natural guitars, and Gibson(ish) headstocks for all the bursts.

The S000M-18E looks intriguing. All-solid sitka/mahogany, with an ebony fingerboard and bone nut & saddle. I wouldn't mind playing one if there's ever a dealer in the PNW.
We have a local dealer here that carries them. The Gibson inspired guitars are really really good. If anyone is looking for a quality stage guitar at a great price these would fill the bill. I think they’re a great value.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion