The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-18-2018, 01:59 AM

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!
Default Any experience with X-Vive Bluetooth?

I was just told today by a picking friend that he uses an X-Vive bluetooth system for connecting his guitar to the amp / PA, and will never use a cord for his guitar again. I'd never heard of the device? Can any of you folks tell me more about this product?

Don

Last edited by Don Lampson; 09-18-2018 at 02:14 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 09-18-2018, 05:12 AM
Charter Member

It’s wireless, but it’s like wi-fi, not Bluetooth. Most of the new wireless guitar systems use similar wireless tech and just vary by features. I use the Xvive system for my electric guitars also and love it, but I’m an at home player. I’ve heard it can have some reliability issues in live situations if there’s a house WiFi setup and a lot of patrons are using the wireless for their cell phones. At home, though, no problem - no more stepping on cables or trying to keep them organized.

I can’t use it with my acoustic though. It doesn’t work with active pickup systems, just passive, and my acoustic has an active system. There are others that do work with active pickups and I’m sure Xvive will eventually make a system that does too, but the one I’ve got doesn’t. I don’t plug in imy acoustic often enough to worry about it though...

-Ray
Old 09-18-2018, 06:24 AM

I bought an xVive system after reading generally positive reviews. After the first dozen uses, it seemed to cut out periodically. I exchanged it for another xVive system and that one has been consistent for a few months now, without the signal fades.

I use it with my acoustic which has TRS cabling to a K&K preamp, and plug it onto the mix output of the K&K preamp. It works well. Other acoustics with TS outputs, and they work well too.

Small sample experience here, I know, but that's what I got to share.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:45 AM

I have the xVive and it worked ok but I had some drop-out problems doing an outdoor gig.
I highly recommend the BOSS WL 50/ WL 20 series. WAY MORE dependable and not much more in price.
Davidc
Old 09-21-2018, 10:04 AM

i just bought one. off ebay. my first gig using
it was a fail. Turns out it was a matter of having
both the receiver and transmitter on the same
channel. (I should read the manual)
Second gig it worked quite well.
This unit is not bluetooth or wi fi.
It's 2.4 gighz. like your wireless phone at home.
If you want this so you can walk around the
venue an play your guitar be warned it's range
is limited. maybe 50 feet. But it seems to work
ok. But i've only gigged once with it.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:43 PM

I just purchased X-Vive. So far it works well enough. Had a few blips, but changed channels and seems better. X-Vive only has 4 channels to choose from and other $$ systems have more channels if interference a problem. Good for noodling around the house, but think I would go w/ another system if I was gigging/needed greater dependability.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anodyne View Post
I just purchased X-Vive. So far it works well enough. Had a few blips, but changed channels and seems better. X-Vive only has 4 channels to choose from and other $$ systems have more channels if interference a problem. Good for noodling around the house, but think I would go w/ another system if I was gigging/needed greater dependability.
I get the same impression from this unit.
So far it works fine. But i keep a cord
handy just in case. I used a line6 g50 for. 6
years and it was bulletproof til the day it died.
but it's 400 bucks. i got the xvive for 95.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification