The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 08-05-2018, 08:10 PM

As far as I can tell, the guy has only been a positive force in music, I think one would do better to keep their negative opinions of him to themselves.

Frankly, I would be more than a little suspicious of anyone after hearing them poo poo Billy Strings. It's like if someone told me "I don't like reading" or "I don't like dolphins", it's best to just not mention that haha

Last edited by dmccrider; 08-08-2018 at 12:55 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:13 PM

He's coming to the Walnut Valley Festival in September. Looking forward to seeing him.

( @ )===:::
Old 08-07-2018, 11:34 PM

Being completely honest Billy Strings playing and Mollie Tuttle's playing on her album Rise ( not to mention the great vocals ) has given this 60 year old a great new interest in the acoustic guitar . I personally find it fresh and inventive and if it makes me pick up my guitars for two hours a day after 51 years of playing that's really good in my book
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 08-19-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Come on up to the Hoxeyville Music Fest....Billy is playing Sat night and closing the Fest Sunday Night.
j

I was there Thursday and saw Lindsay Lou and the Flatbellys, then the clouds opened up some. Was there just for the day. I really enjoyed Lindsayís powereful, beautiful voice and I thought her band was quite good also. Next year I hope to spend more than one day there. This was the 17th year the festival has been held, and I ,never heard of it. Iím down the road from you in Evart. Hope Billy is there next year.

Bill
Old 08-28-2018, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Wink

A little research shows that Billy was raised on Bluegrass & Country. I have read that he enjoys all types of music. Most artist do, it seems.

Billy's playing style is that of a Bluegrass flatpicker, speed and more speed for most of his solo work. He also is the frontman for his band and it is his job to please the crowd. From all reports it seems he excels at his job.

I have found Billy and many of the newer performers we see today in Bluegrass are a breath of fresh air. Yes he can go a little over board but who among us hasn't? He seems to be keeping good company, see Molly Tuttle and Bryan Sutton.

Just the fact that he is generating interest in the music I love makes him OK with me.

I was recently visiting the Preston Thompson shop, Billy's guitar was in the shop for a tune up. It was offered to me for play and I took them up on it. A funny thing happened, the guitar sounded differently when I played, I wonder why?
Old 08-29-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTA48 View Post
A little research shows that Billy was raised on Bluegrass & Country. I have read that he enjoys all types of music. Most artist do, it seems.

Billy's playing style is that of a Bluegrass flatpicker, speed and more speed for most of his solo work. He also is the frontman for his band and it is his job to please the crowd. From all reports it seems he excels at his job.

I have found Billy and many of the newer performers we see today in Bluegrass are a breath of fresh air. Yes he can go a little over board but who among us hasn't? He seems to be keeping good company, see Molly Tuttle and Bryan Sutton.

Just the fact that he is generating interest in the music I love makes him OK with me.
My thoughts exactly
Old 08-29-2018, 08:59 AM

There are metal shredders and bluegrass shredders. I like listening to both, even if it's over the top. I don't blame Billy for that, if I could play as fast and clean as he can I wouldn't mind to show it off.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN