The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-17-2018, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Default 'Amp in a Box' Emulator Pedal with Acoustic Amp or PA?

Is there anyone using an 'amp in a box' emulator pedal (Tech 21 Blonde, Joyo JF-14 American Sound, etc.) into an acoustic amp or PA instead of plugging your electric into a dedicated electric guitar amp? I'm wondering how "the emulator solution" measures up to a decent, dedicated solid-state combo amp.

I trying to decide between attempting to make my electrics work with my Carvin AG200 (a fantastic 200W Class D acoustic guitar amp/three channel PA) versus getting a dedicated SS amp to use for light gigs or jams. I have an old tube amp head, but would prefer to not take it outside my music room.

I can get a workable electric guitar tone through the Carvin (especially with a 1X12 extension cab added), but it's just workable. Also, it is just so-so with pedals.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...

Last edited by Ed-in-Ohio; 06-17-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Is there anyone using an 'amp in a box' emulator pedal (Tech 21 Blonde, Joyo JF-14 American Sound, etc.) into an acoustic amp or PA instead of plugging your electric into a dedicated electric guitar amp? I'm wondering how this measures up to a decent, dedicated solid-state dedicated amp.

I trying to decide between making my electrics work with my Carvin AG200 (a fantastic 200W Class D acoustic guitar amp/three channel PA) versus getting a dedicated SS amp to use for light gigs or jams. I have a tube amp, but would prefer to not use it outside my music room
I use a Helix for my electric rig. Obviously overkill for what you're looking at. But I wouldn't go cheap like a Joyo if you want good sound. You might consider looking for a used Atomic Firebox. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWAvNkHR42E

As for plugging into an acoustic amp, if you're plugging into a regular input remember that the preamp section is probably tweaked to make an acoustic sound good. It's not flat response. An aux input might work ok. I power my Matrix FRFR cab with a Markbass amp and send the signal from the Helix to the effects return jack. That works great. But direct to pa works great.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:44 AM

I've got a Behringer GDI21 (Tech 21 Sans Amp copy) which sounds good (to me) connecting my Les Paul to the mic input on my Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge (using the Loudbox's reverb). It would be hard to spend less money on this problem but I really like the overdrive of the GDI21 and it's clean tone (I am using Tweed/Clean/Classic for Amp/Mod/Mic).

Interestingly enough, the instrument channel on the Loudbox does not sound quite as good for this setup.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 06-17-2018, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Had the Radial JDX Direct drive di/emulator at the end of my pedal board, into the PA. Sold it shortly thereafter.

Replaced it with the Vox MV50 Clean mini head and haven’t looked back. KILLER little head. You can run it at the end of your chain directly into the PA, and if desired, into a cab as well.

Line out. Built in attenuator, deep or flat EQ. 50 WATTS if running into a 4 ohm cab. 25 if 8 ohm. 12.5 if 16 ohm (not recommended).

When I got it I wanted to test through my home rig. I powered my 2-12’ Tweaker cabs at 16 ohm each (8 ohm if chained together) and it would peel paint past 11. Crazy wattage. Way more than enough.

Under $200. Sits on my board like a pedal. I can pack-up my board, grab my guitar, and run my rig through any PA. Sound guys love it. I just wished I’d of found it sooner.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 06-18-2018, 08:16 AM

An acoustic amp is a good amp for using emulation for an electric guitar. It's basically a small PA in a box. I don't do it personally but I have played with it and for all practical purposes it sounded pretty good.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
Had the Radial JDX Direct drive di/emulator at the end of my pedal board, into the PA. Sold it shortly thereafter.

Replaced it with the Vox MV50 Clean mini head and haven’t looked back. KILLER little head. You can run it at the end of your chain directly into the PA, and if desired, into a cab as well.

Line out. Built in attenuator, deep or flat EQ. 50 WATTS if running into a 4 ohm cab. 25 if 8 ohm. 12.5 if 16 ohm (not recommended).

When I got it I wanted to test through my home rig. I powered my 2-12’ Tweaker cabs at 16 ohm each (8 ohm if chained together) and it would peel paint past 11. Crazy wattage. Way more than enough.

Under $200. Sits on my board like a pedal. I can pack-up my board, grab my guitar, and run my rig through any PA. Sound guys love it. I just wished I’d of found it sooner.
The Vox heads are indeed, killer. I have the AC50 and will probably purchase the MV50 clean as well. Tone for days.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 06-18-2018, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

I bet those little Voxes do sound great...The demo videos sure are impressive.

The thing is, any "electric guitar amplification solution" that gets close to $200 begs the question, "Why not just get a decent stand alone electric guitar amp?"

That would be one thing, that would be light, and relatively easy to transport...I do wish more solid state combos had extension speaker outs. That would seal the deal.

Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 06-18-2018, 09:22 AM

Though I don't use an emulator, I do use an ART Tube pre- which sounds really good. If I turn the gain up, I get a terrific tube break-up tone.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Though I don't use an emulator, I do use an ART Tube pre- which sounds really good. If I turn the gain up, I get a terrific tube break-up tone.
Very interesting option! Do you run this into a PA, or into an acoustic amp? If you've run it into an amp, do you use the effects loop?

Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 06-18-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Very interesting option! Do you run this into a PA, or into an acoustic amp? If you've run it into an amp, do you use the effects loop?
I run into a PA.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I bet those little Voxes do sound great...The demo videos sure are impressive.

The thing is, any "electric guitar amplification solution" that gets close to $200 begs the question, "Why not just get a decent stand alone electric guitar amp?"

That would be one thing, that would be light, and relatively easy to transport...I do wish more solid state combos had extension speaker outs. That would seal the deal.
You ask a legitimate question. I think for me, it came down to wanting a lightweight, easily transportable solution, without adding more to our stage.

I can literally put the lid on my pedalboard and haul my entire rig...”amp” and all. I can run it to an extension speaker if necessary, while running out to the board, and I get consistent tones wherever I play...as long as it’s a “decent” board.

I’m sure others may have different needs/wants. But for me, the Vox mini heads are the perfect solution.

Regardless of your choice, trying new gear is half the fun. Enjoy the process
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars