The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-07-2013, 02:33 PM

Default Strings creak when tuning?

I noticed once in a while a string will 'creak' when I tune my guitar; almost feels like its getting caught in the nut and then releases.

When I was last tuning my 12-string, a couple strings creaked and I broke the high(?) G string (0.008 inch).

Anyone have an explanation? Is there something I can put on the nut like a dab of silicone to 'lubricate' the slots?

Thanks
Old 11-07-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
I noticed once in a while a string will 'creak' when I tune my guitar; almost feels like its getting caught in the nut and then releases.

When I was last tuning my 12-string, a couple strings creaked and I broke the high(?) G string (0.008 inch).

Anyone have an explanation? Is there something I can put on the nut like a dab of silicone to 'lubricate' the slots?

Thanks
Graphite, the 'lead' in a pencil, can be used but maybe the offending slots should be widened.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:45 PM

It is a common problem. The nut slot needs to be widened. Most production guitars have poorly cut nuts. They are usually cut high so there will be no buzz problems, but are hard to play, like an F bar chord. A lube like silicon will help. The slot can be opened with the proper nut files. The nut height should be checked at the same time. It will make the guitar easier to play. Tune the guitar with a tuner. Bend the string by pushing on it ABOVE the nut. Let it go. Check the tuning. A well cut nut will not allow the string to go out of tune.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
Graphite, the 'lead' in a pencil, can be used but maybe the offending slots should be widened.
Ditto-works for me.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:01 PM

I use graphite mostly in high G nut slot it works really good. I also bought a set of nut files and learned how to use them. As was said in an above post a lot of times the nut slots need touched up on new guitars or there cut to high. I've had to lower the action at the nut of my new D18 so the files have come in handy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write