The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-25-2018, 11:25 AM

Default EMERALD SELECT SERIES X20 COCOBOLO ON REVERB

If anyone interested I just saw a new listing on Reverb for one of the 2018 January X20 select series Cocobolo guitars posted .

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-26-2018 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Edited
Old 09-25-2018, 10:28 PM

Quite the apple of temptation there. Good thing I'm already half-paid on a custom order!
Old 09-26-2018, 12:07 AM

There's one heck of a padauk X20 on the Emerald site too, in stock.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:47 AM

On Reverb there's also a 2017 Chimaera 6/12 doubleneck cocobolo woody.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
On Reverb there's also a 2017 Chimaera 6/12 doubleneck cocobolo woody.
That was my Chimera that I just sold on here around 6 weeks ago. I guess it was not his cup of tea either! Great guitar with no issues but not everyone is gonna enjoy playing a double neck. For standing stage use it would be really cool. To just sit around and play not so much.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 09-26-2018, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

That's a beauty....https://reverb.com/item/15294259-eme...coustic-guitar
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-26-2018, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
It is, but I'm not sure I get the pricing. Except for the Anthem pickup, it appears to be the same guitar as the Paduak showing in stock on Emerald's site, but for $400 more for a slightly used guitar. As much as I love the look of the veneers, I've had really beautiful guitars that I never look at after the first few days of new guitar smell wears off, so I personally couldn't see spending an extra $650 for a veneer version relative to just carbon - no criticism of those who want to, I get it but it's just not something I'd personally do. But an extra $400 for a slightly used show model I really don't get.

Then again, that is a REALLY pretty guitar!

-Ray
Old 09-26-2018, 09:08 AM

[QUOTE=raysachs;5847573]It is, but I'm not sure I get the pricing. Except for the Anthem pickup, it appears to be the same guitar as the Paduak showing in stock on Emerald's site, but for $400 more for a slightly used guitar. As much as I love the look of the veneers, I've had really beautiful guitars that I never look at after the first few days of new guitar smell wears off, so I personally couldn't see spending an extra $650 for a veneer version relative to just carbon - no criticism of those who want to, I get it but it's just not something I'd personally do. But an extra $400 for a slightly used show model I really don't get.

Then again, that is a REALLY pretty guitar!

-Ray[/QUOT

I thought the price a bit on the high side also, but it is in this country, it is available now, and one could always make an offer?
Old 09-26-2018, 09:44 AM

Agreed that the asking price seems quite high. The seller seems to be putting a serious premium on the Select Series designation. But the in-stock version can be had for a bit less than that price. and delivered from Ireland in about a week The Anthem is the most deluxe pickup system they put in to X20's and sounds good.

As for the perceived value of the veneer, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It is worth it to some. My wife's X7 has a woody veneer, but all of my CF guitars are exposed weave and unpainted. But I am NOT going to criticize my wife's taste or judgment - unraveling that particular knot might not reflect well on me.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Definitely a premium price but you always want to start high anyway. I find that no matter what I put a guitar up for people come in with low offers. So if you start high you have a better chance of getting what you want. Then there's always that person with the cash who just wants it now.

Emeralds prices have gone up considerably. I know this because I ordered a custom build last year and this year with many of the same features and the prices for each little custom request rose quite a bit. So if you go and price out a custom build you'll be up around the $3,250 to $3,500 easily depending on how crazy you get. Plus the four month wait.

Owning that guitar (plus a few more extra custom features) I can say to anyone hear looking at it that it's a GREAT guitar. (No relation to the seller.) If I was in the market for one I'd make an offer in the mid to high $2k.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
As for the perceived value of the veneer, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It is worth it to some. My wife's X7 has a woody veneer, but all of my CF guitars are exposed weave and unpainted. But I am NOT going to criticize my wife's taste or judgment - unraveling that particular knot might not reflect well on me.
I agree beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and in my eye it's really beautiful! And just to be doubly clear, I wasn't criticizing the taste or judgement of someone who WOULD pay for the veneer, just explaining that to me, as beautiful as it is, I wouldn't. I was actually explaining that I wouldn't pay the extra mostly as an introductory idea to explain why I REALLY wouldn't pay yet another $400 for the used one on Reverb. Although, yeah, you could make an offer.

I had a PRS electric for a while that had the most beautiful flame top I've ever seen. I drooled over it when I bought it. I drooled over it for the first 4-5 days I had it. I still liked it for another week or two. And then I never noticed it again. Not quite literally, but almost. It would help me identify it when I wanted to pick it up, but I just stopped noticing it as a work of art/craft other than loving the guitar for how well it played and how good it sounded...

Which is the only reason I wouldn't pay a premium for physical beauty that doesn't affect the playability or sound. Because I've done it and, for ME, it ended up being kind of a waste of money. But I totally support anyone else's buying decisions based on WHATEVER they're based on!
Old 09-26-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byudzai View Post
There's one heck of a padauk X20 on the Emerald site too, in stock.
I just saw that and although both the in stock Emerald padauk and the Reverb cocobolo x20 are both stunning guitars, I think I lean toward the padauk brand new for 400.00 less.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
I think I lean toward the padauk brand new for 400.00 less.
Plus you can return the brand new guitar for any reason and only be out shipping. It's a no-brainer unless you just have to have the used guitar.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber