The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-25-2023, 05:47 AM

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your Big Baby

Setup is not really that hard to get right, I'm amazed that you can't accomplish that.

Have you looked around for any privately operated setup guys?

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-25-2023, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
THIS is the question others should be thinking about. I've read a lot of brand suggestions, but in my opinion, the first thing to be considered is the guitar's size and shape.

The Big Baby Taylor (I have a BBT-e) is a 15/16 size. In other words, it's a slightly scaled down version of a "standard" dreadnought. So, is the dreadnought shape an important consideration for you? I found, through a lot of trial and error (and $$) that I actually prefer a smaller, rounder guitar.

You didn't specify where you live, but you may find it worth your while to take a day trip to a quality music store that carries a number of brands. I have a store five minutes away from me, but their inventory is so pitiful that I drive to a store in the next state where I can spend several hours in their guitar room trying a whole host of different brands, models and styles. I plan to have lunch before heading home. It's always a fun day, too!

Pretty much every brand named in the prior posts offers playable instruments. Depending on your requirements and skill level, it may make a difference if the guitar is made of all wood or has laminated parts (one of my top-end guitars has a laminated back -- at the recommendation of the luthier who made it!) or not. Taylor's GS Minis have "layered" woods and are awesome sounding guitars (in my opinion)! As does the Big Baby Taylor.

Bottom line: There is no substitute for your own ears and hands. Given that you've listed specific requirements (size, price, etc.) the best you'll get here are recommendations on where to start. Until you sit and play some of those mentioned, you won't know which one fits you best.
This is always good advice.

My 2002 Big Baby Taylor, dimensionally, fits in a Taylor GA hard case. My recent purchase of my Larrivée C-05 led me to figure out that the guitar would not fit in a Taylor GA case.

If I were actively seeking another Larrivée to fit the dimensions of my Big Baby, I'd be trying to scour up something like an OM.
2000 Walnut/Purpleheart/Bol RW "Les Paul"
98 Larrivée C-05 sitka/mahogany florentine.
95 Breedlove SC Cedar/EIRW
Bedell TBCE-18-G

Daedalus Audio C81
Rane AP13
Genz Benz Shenandoah 100
Fishman Loudbox 100 & Acoustic Performer Pro
Boss RC-50
Old 03-25-2023, 09:37 AM

I always liked Breedlove. And they have some really nice inexpensive models that sound awesome and play awesome for well under $1000. IMO
Old 04-06-2023, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italuke View Post
Wait, lawsuits? I believe for a $600-700 item that would be small claims court.

Are you stuck with online or is there a physical store within well, maybe driving distance, whatever that is for where you live?
This is happening in Europe very bad story with insane physical shop owner, maybe one day I'll share in another post. Online it would have been much easier.
Old 04-06-2023, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89bruin View Post
Alvarez masterworks. Unbelievable bang for the buck.
Yup, my Alvarez FM66SHB is wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knollhaven View Post
Agree with many suggestions here. An Eastman, to me, can easily become a lifetime guitar because of the excellent solid woods, hand-built quality and tone. Their OM models compare to the Martin 000 size, shape and scale length.
Also, I have the Yamaha FS-830 (another OM sized option) which has laminated rosewood back/sides, binding, and perhaps nicer aesthetics than the 800 series. May be the best quality tone available for $300-350 range.
Alvarez Masterworks are also super playable, very popular, and great value.
Another guitar I own, Simon & Patrick Woodland Pro Folk (00 size), is all solid woods and is the most stable guitar I have for holding up to travel, humidity changes, and even playwear. Not only a durable instrument, it’s also responsive to varying string choices when you want to experiment with tone.
My list of $500-ish guitars would be very similar. The Eastman E1-D can be had new for under 6 for solid wood and a scary good guitar.

I bought a Taylor factory demo'd guitar for a nice price and it was perfectly set up and not a mark on it. These come up sometimes and are well worth looking at. They have been out on Taylor demos so are adjusted optimally and are well taken care of. Great bargains.

But whatever guitar you buy sounds like you need a new local set-up/repair guy.
Old 04-07-2023, 07:58 AM

Consider buying used and you can stretch your budget to get a nicer guitar. But I did recently try some of the new Yamaha Red label guitars coming out of Japan and they were really great.
Old 04-07-2023, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtsteve View Post
Yup, my Alvarez FM66SHB is wonderful.

My list of $500-ish guitars would be very similar. The Eastman E1-D can be had new for under 6 for solid wood and a scary good guitar.

I bought a Taylor factory demo'd guitar for a nice price and it was perfectly set up and not a mark on it. These come up sometimes and are well worth looking at. They have been out on Taylor demos so are adjusted optimally and are well taken care of. Great bargains.

But whatever guitar you buy sounds like you need a new local set-up/repair guy.

I got an E1D as part of a trade and it's way better than any $579 guitar has a right to be.
Old 04-07-2023, 11:44 AM

Under $1000? I would probably start with Breedlove. Eastman and Alvarez are also generally pretty solid. The Eastman's slightly over $1000 are worth every penny extra as well. There is nothing about them that suggests they cost below $3k.

Also check out the Epiphone Masterbuilt Frontier & Texan. I personally love the Frontier. The Guild F-250 that Steve suggested is also a solid option.
Old 04-07-2023, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Let me preface this to say there has not been one of these small budget guitars that I could play for five minutes. I for the life of me don't see why people like the likes of a Baby Taylor, GS Mini, or the Martin juniors. You can, given some patience, find a used 000 15 under $1000, or pick a Yamaha, or an Eastman.

The only parlor size guitars I've liked are the likes of a SCGC Firefly. It will take both your breath and your wallet away.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-07-2023, 01:32 PM

Can't go wrong with a Yamaha LL16 or Ll16M, FG3/5.
I'm always shocked at how big Larrivee OM guitars sound, but they are very comfortable unless you have small hands they might not be.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic guitar, brands, buy, folk, taylor