The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-23-2023, 08:06 AM

Guild.

One of the U.S. made flavors if you want to spend a bit more, one of the imports if saving money is a prime consideration.

At your price point, a D-140 if you're a dread lover.

For a good all-round "folk" model, the M-120 or OM-120 for a bit larger body.

Last edited by Rudy4; 03-23-2023 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-23-2023, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aahzz View Post
Yamaha, Eastman, Alvarez, Martin - I'd choose any of those in the under $1000 range before Taylor.
thanks, any particular models that can compare to the Big Baby Taylor?
Old 03-23-2023, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Guild.

One of the U.S. made flavors if you want to spend a bit more, one of the imports if saving money is a prime consideration.

At your price point, a D-140 if you're a dread lover.

For a good all-round "folk" model, the M-120 or OM-120 for a bit larger body.
I don't like all mahogany body, but you are right, Guild is special
Old 03-23-2023, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Martin has some lower price guitars but Yamaha is spoken well of
any model in particular? I was looking at the dreadnought junior, but it sounds a bit tinny
Old 03-23-2023, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
A Guild F-250E comes in well under your $1K target figure - if you don't already have it on your must-try short list (along with Glenn's suggestions), you should - and while I haven't been quite as impressed as a whole with the Westerly Series imports as I was (and still am) with their GAD-Series predecessors, this (along with the D-1212 all-hog 12-string dreadnaught) is an exception that I'd happily add to my stable:

looking at one right now, good tip
Old 03-23-2023, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italuke View Post
Hmm, let's circle back. 700 miles to the nearest person who can do a setup on the baby Taylor? I'm sure if we knew your location, someone here could help. As for the new one, I thought Taylor customer service was known to be top notch? Certainly there must be a way to resolve the issues you're having. Even if you're far from a good retail store, there are plenty of reputable online dealers who would love to have your business.
It is a really terrible story, and sadly the only dealer in this area (maybe 400 miles, not 700, but, still) is the insane one. I may share the story some day, but this thread is not the place. It is still not clear if it was only the dealer who scammed us badly and lied to the Taylor high management, or if the customer service was just backing the dealer. Either way, it was an extremely awful experience, that may result in lawsuits, and it would be best to just leave all that behind.
Old 03-23-2023, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimandJoni View Post
I'd probably go with an Eastman E1OM.
1987 Peavey Patriot bass
Old 03-23-2023, 04:06 PM

Get a good used Larrivee. You won't be disappointed.
Old 03-23-2023, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Default Larrivee

Someone just beat me to the larrivee suggestion but I’ll second it. Can’t say enough good things about larrivee Guitars I have two that I bought used both under $1000. Good luck in your search!
Old 03-23-2023, 06:29 PM

I sold my Larrivee L-05 in great condition for $1000, so they're out there.
Old 03-23-2023, 06:40 PM

Quote:
I got a Big Baby Taylor, and it's quite nice (action a bit high), but I am having a really nightmarish experience with the only local dealer about a different Taylor guitar, and Taylor central offices haven't exactly helped until now, so I am considering sending the Big Baby back to the online shop where I bought it from, to avoid having to deal with Taylor ever again in the future, or having to travel 700 miles to the nearest repair shop as the one in my area refuses to do any repairs and just shouts abuses at me (it s a long, painful story, and aside for the financial loss I d just would like to forget about it).

If you had to buy another guitar under $1000 for a nice and modern folk/country sound, what brand would you get aside from Taylor?
Thanks
I'd go looking for a used Larrivée.

I've seen some ranging from $750 to about $1000.

Guitar Center has a few starting around $850 and going to just over $1150.

I bought a 1998 C-05 from them about a month ago.

I paid $1100+tax for it and it is giving my 2000 310CE a run for its money as to which guitar is my favorite.

2000 Walnut/Purpleheart/Bol RW "Les Paul"
98 Larrivée C-05 sitka/mahogany florentine.
95 Breedlove SC Cedar/EIRW
Bedell TBCE-18-G

Daedalus Audio C81
Rane AP13
Genz Benz Shenandoah 100
Fishman Loudbox 100 & Acoustic Performer Pro
Boss RC-50
Old 03-24-2023, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

I just got an Eastman AC222CE used for around $550 shipped. It’s an amazing guitar that I can play back to back with my other guitars and feel like it’s up there with the best of them.
Old 03-24-2023, 11:57 AM

Default The best guitar you've never heard of

I have owned, and still do own, a 1989 Taylor 810 Brazilian, a James Goodall concert, a 1961 Martin D28 (sold it), D42 and a Martin 000-42 Clapton among others. They are all great guitars. BUT. I recently played, and immediately had to buy, an Eastman E2OM CD. Just an amazing smaller body guitar that is now my go to. Unbelievable tone and projection. And it is around $500. You do not need to spend thousands to get a great ax these days.
Old 03-24-2023, 03:59 PM

Quote:
It is a really terrible story, and sadly the only dealer in this area (maybe 400 miles, not 700, but, still) is the insane one. I may share the story some day, but this thread is not the place. It is still not clear if it was only the dealer who scammed us badly and lied to the Taylor high management, or if the customer service was just backing the dealer. Either way, it was an extremely awful experience, that may result in lawsuits, and it would be best to just leave all that behind.
Wait, lawsuits? I believe for a $600-700 item that would be small claims court.

Are you stuck with online or is there a physical store within well, maybe driving distance, whatever that is for where you live?
Old 03-25-2023, 05:19 AM

Quote:
THIS is the question others should be thinking about. I've read a lot of brand suggestions, but in my opinion, the first thing to be considered is the guitar's size and shape.

The Big Baby Taylor (I have a BBT-e) is a 15/16 size. In other words, it's a slightly scaled down version of a "standard" dreadnought. So, is the dreadnought shape an important consideration for you? I found, through a lot of trial and error (and $$) that I actually prefer a smaller, rounder guitar.

You didn't specify where you live, but you may find it worth your while to take a day trip to a quality music store that carries a number of brands. I have a store five minutes away from me, but their inventory is so pitiful that I drive to a store in the next state where I can spend several hours in their guitar room trying a whole host of different brands, models and styles. I plan to have lunch before heading home. It's always a fun day, too!

Pretty much every brand named in the prior posts offers playable instruments. Depending on your requirements and skill level, it may make a difference if the guitar is made of all wood or has laminated parts (one of my top-end guitars has a laminated back -- at the recommendation of the luthier who made it!) or not. Taylor's GS Minis have "layered" woods and are awesome sounding guitars (in my opinion)! As does the Big Baby Taylor.

Bottom line: There is no substitute for your own ears and hands. Given that you've listed specific requirements (size, price, etc.) the best you'll get here are recommendations on where to start. Until you sit and play some of those mentioned, you won't know which one fits you best.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic guitar, brands, buy, folk, taylor