The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-17-2023, 09:11 AM

Default Strings to make a Big Baby Taylor sound less "bright"?

Hi, after long research I just got a Big Baby Taylor, I preferred it to other models because weight and portability were a major issue, also I travel a lot and the idea of dragging around a $2000 guitar made me nervous. (the GS mini for some reason felt weird, too heavy/too small, not sure why).

I think I love this Big Baby, it seems very easy to play, especially fingerpicking, I have one only doubt - I really wanted to learn to play some serious blues, and this guitar sounds so bright and I wonder if by changing the strings I could make it a bit more suitable to that style. I know I should have gotten a Martin or something else, but I really like the "Taylor sound" and I thought it would be more versatile, maybe it's not?
Ideas, suggestions? Thank you!

Last edited by JimandJoni; 03-17-2023 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-17-2023, 09:13 AM

Try a set of Martin Monel Retros.
They tamed my AD17e.
Old 03-17-2023, 09:31 AM

When I had my Big Baby I had the same issue. I ran silk and steel strings, they helped a lot. You might try Silk and Bronze also....

Good Luck

Scott
Old 03-17-2023, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimandJoni View Post
..... this guitar sounds so bright ....but I really like the "Taylor sound" ....
Not to be overly grumpy this morning, but which is it? Too bright or really likeable? You're right -- it can be both.

Taylors and "too bright" comes up often on AFG. Went though it myself for a couple of years and finally gave up after changing strings and saddle, and yes, even bridge pins.

The monel and silk suggestions are good, but if you're plucking single treble strings as opposed to strumming across the strings, the trebles sound pretty much the same since unwound strings all sound pretty much the same.

Some options are to play the Taylor until "bright" sounds "normal", or put a different guitar under the strings.
Old 03-17-2023, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

I have a guitar that’s really “responsive” and phosphor bronze strings sound brash. I use Thomastik Infeld Plectrum strings on it. They reduce the brashness it don’t sound dull.

Daddario Flat Tops may be another option. No more finger squeak and they’re not as bright as regular wound wound strings.
Old 03-17-2023, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
I have a guitar that’s really “responsive” and phosphor bronze strings sound brash. I use Thomastik Infeld Plectrum strings on it. They reduce the brashness it don’t sound dull.

Daddario Flat Tops may be another option. No more finger squeak and they’re not as bright as regular wound wound strings.
thank you, "brash" is exactly the word I was looking for.
Old 03-17-2023, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSD View Post
When I had my Big Baby I had the same issue. I ran silk and steel strings, they helped a lot. You might try Silk and Bronze also....

Good Luck

Scott
thank you, please which brand would these silk and steel strings be? and which gauge number?
Old 03-17-2023, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Oh by the way, the Thomastik Infeld Plectrum strings are silk and bronze but they’re different than other silked strings. As I said, they’re bright, but not brash and the bass strings still have some “growl”. I love them, but they’re not exactly inexpensive.
Old 03-17-2023, 09:48 PM

Quote:
thank you, please which brand would these silk and steel strings be? and which gauge number?
I think it was these.

D'Addario Silk & Steel Acoustic Guitar Strings - EJ40-6 String - Warm, Mellow Tone- Light, 11-47

I may have tried GHS as well but its been a while. In the end I couldn't abide the thin neck and sharp roll over on the edge of the fretboard. I gifted it to a friend learning guitar.

Scott
Old 03-18-2023, 12:33 AM
Charter Member

TI Plectrums can mellow a guitar, but note they are low tension strings and may feel different to you.

I’ve used GHS Vintage Bronze to successfully mellow a guitar. Great strings at a good price.

Silk and Steel could be worth a try too, avoiding the 80/20 ones.
Old 03-18-2023, 02:34 PM

I had a Big Baby years ago, and to my ears, it sounded it's best with Martin Silk & Bronze PB's on it.
Old 03-18-2023, 03:11 PM

I’ve never owned a Taylor, but changing picks can make a big difference too.
Maybe try a little heavier pick? Just a thought.
Old 03-18-2023, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt45 View Post
I’ve never owned a Taylor, but changing picks can make a big difference too.
Maybe try a little heavier pick? Just a thought.
I don't use a pick
Old 03-18-2023, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSD View Post
I think it was these.

D'Addario Silk & Steel Acoustic Guitar Strings - EJ40-6 String - Warm, Mellow Tone- Light, 11-47

I may have tried GHS as well but its been a while. In the end I couldn't abide the thin neck and sharp roll over on the edge of the fretboard. I gifted it to a friend learning guitar.

Scott
please, what do you mean with sharp roll over on the edge of the fretboard?
I notice that the metal strips are much sharper than my old guitar and sliding is definitely uncomfortable
Old 03-18-2023, 09:58 PM

Quote:
please, what do you mean with sharp roll over on the edge of the fretboard?
I notice that the metal strips are much sharper than my old guitar and sliding is definitely uncomfortable
I found the transition from the back/side of the neck to the front fretboard to be too sharp of a corner for my liking. I believe it's exacerbated by how thin the neck is.

Not sure what you mean by the metal strips. If you mean the fret height/profile they are pretty typical from what I can recall. If the side edges of the frets are hanging out from the side of the neck far enough to catch your finger as you slide up and down that's a problem any competent guitar tech can fix.

Good Luck

Scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
big baby taylor, blues, brightness, sound, taylor