The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-15-2023, 12:31 AM

Default Piano strings on a guitar?

Hey guys I have an Eastman E10D with a soundboard that must’ve been cut from an old coffee table or something because I just can’t get this thing to move! I’m going through 13-56 sets mostly PB. When I bought the guitar it sounded awesome with whatever Nickel strings were on it. I assumed they were D’addario NB and bought a set but they didn’t have the same effect. Believe it or not some Elixir 80/20’s sounded decent but turned to plastic pretty quick. Right now I have another set of Elixir’s PB on it just to use them up but that was a big mistake. Sounds muffled and plasticky.

Curious if anyone knows which Nickel strings might have had the power to make this Eastman sing like a chainsaw (in a good way) or perhaps any suggestion to move this log of a soundboard with something aside from piano strings…which I reserve as LAST resort.

I would say biggest issue is getting some volume and resonance out of strings 4, 5 and 6, especially 5 & 6 (I still disagree that this is how guitar strings should be counted but whatever).

Things to note…
1. ebony pins were swapped out for bone by the PO but I still have them.
2. I am not shy with my right hand.
3. There’s an LR baggs Anthem SL installed (but bought it based on the unplugged sound with the silver strings…which I assume were Nickel plated?)
Old 03-15-2023, 12:48 AM

Try a set of the John Pearse Pure Nickel strings in medium gauge. Nickel has less tension than the bronze alloys, so to counteract that the Pure Nickels have a couple of strings in slightly higher gauges than what you’d expect. It makes a difference.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-15-2023, 04:30 AM
Charter Member

Try removing the Baggs UST from under the saddle. See if that helps to return the sound.
Old 03-15-2023, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dothraki View Post
(I still disagree that this is how guitar strings should be counted but whatever).
You can disagree all you want but you're still wrong. The numbering of strings (on ALL stringed instruments BTW) comes from historical periods when they had far fewer strings. Over time, centuries not months (as we are sometimes only capable of conceiving here in modern times) as more complex music demanded more strings, they were always added to the BASS side of the instrument, not the treble. That, plus on lutes for example, the highest treble string was (still is) a single string, with all others being courses. That high single string was used for melody playing more so than the lower strings. Thus another reason that the high E on yer geetar is number 1, with all the added strings then being 2-6. (Or 2-7, 2-8, if you have one of those. See how it makes sense?)

As for your E10D, I have likely the same top on my E8D. It sings like a bird.
Old 03-15-2023, 07:31 AM

My first thought was that not all instruments are winners, but it sounded great in the store, so I don't suspect that's the problem.

Humidity difference between the store and home?

On a brighter note, this is a wonderful excuse to try 10 different sets of strings. You might even want to try a set of 12s - some guitars sing better with those.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 03-15-2023, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey guys I have an Eastman E10D with a soundboard that must’ve been cut from an old coffee table or something because I just can’t get this thing to move! I’m going through 13-56 sets mostly PB. When I bought the guitar it sounded awesome with whatever Nickel strings were on it. I assumed they were D’addario NB and bought a set but they didn’t have the same effect. Believe it or not some Elixir 80/20’s sounded decent but turned to plastic pretty quick. Right now I have another set of Elixir’s PB on it just to use them up but that was a big mistake. Sounds muffled and plasticky.

Curious if anyone knows which Nickel strings might have had the power to make this Eastman sing like a chainsaw (in a good way) or perhaps any suggestion to move this log of a soundboard with something aside from piano strings…which I reserve as LAST resort.

I would say biggest issue is getting some volume and resonance out of strings 4, 5 and 6, especially 5 & 6 (I still disagree that this is how guitar strings should be counted but whatever).

Things to note…
1. ebony pins were swapped out for bone by the PO but I still have them.
2. I am not shy with my right hand.
3. There’s an LR baggs Anthem SL installed (but bought it based on the unplugged sound with the silver strings…which I assume were Nickel plated?)
Hi Dothraki…

Something that was an eye-opener to me when I began teaching was listening to other people play my guitar while I sat in front of it.

Every lesson I played every student's guitar for a couple minutes to keep me apprised of what they were experiencing, and how the assignments I gave translated to their instrument.

And while I did this I had them play my guitar (and we did duets etc for a couple minutes together).

Wow did that change my perception/understanding of how my guitars sound.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-15-2023, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italuke View Post
You can disagree all you want but you're still wrong. The numbering of strings (on ALL stringed instruments BTW) comes from historical periods when they had far fewer strings. Over time, centuries not months (as we are sometimes only capable of conceiving here in modern times) as more complex music demanded more strings, they were always added to the BASS side of the instrument, not the treble. That, plus on lutes for example, the highest treble string was (still is) a single string, with all others being courses. That high single string was used for melody playing more so than the lower strings. Thus another reason that the high E on yer geetar is number 1, with all the added strings then being 2-6. (Or 2-7, 2-8, if you have one of those. See how it makes sense?)

As for your E10D, I have likely the same top on my E8D. It sings like a bird.
Wow, turns out you're wrong twice according to this post so apparently your situation is hopeless.
Old 03-15-2023, 10:28 AM

Thanks for the replies! I’ll check out the John Pearse Nickels. I won’t be removing the USP because it’s the reason I bought the guitar (so I didn’t have to put holes in my D28) for playing small solo gigs. Humidity is definitely a bit lower right now but in my experience lower humidity usually sounds better than higher within reason. In this case I really think it’s about finding the right strings to get that thick Adi top moving. I lurk quite a bit on here and John Pearse gets mentioned quite a bit but I’ve never tried a set. Sweetwater doesn’t carry them though..any suggestion where to order them? I try to stay away from Amazon for strings since they sometimes sit in less than ideal conditions for a while before shipping out.
Old 03-15-2023, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
Wow, turns out you're wrong twice according to this post so apparently your situation is hopeless.
Lol. True dat.
Old 03-15-2023, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the replies! I’ll check out the John Pearse Nickels. I won’t be removing the USP because it’s the reason I bought the guitar (so I didn’t have to put holes in my D28) for playing small solo gigs. Humidity is definitely a bit lower right now but in my experience lower humidity usually sounds better than higher within reason. In this case I really think it’s about finding the right strings to get that thick Adi top moving. I lurk quite a bit on here and John Pearse gets mentioned quite a bit but I’ve never tried a set. Sweetwater doesn’t carry them though..any suggestion where to order them? I try to stay away from Amazon for strings since they sometimes sit in less than ideal conditions for a while before shipping out.

Strings by Mail
Old 03-15-2023, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Dothraki…

Something that was an eye-opener to me when I began teaching was listening to other people play my guitar while I sat in front of it.

Every lesson I played every student's guitar for a couple minutes to keep me apprised of what they were experiencing, and how the assignments I gave translated to their instrument.

And while I did this I had them play my guitar (and we did duets etc for a couple minutes together).

Wow did that change my perception/understanding of how my guitars sound.

This is SO IMPORTANT.

To get a taste at home without a partner, stand in a corner and strum a few chords towards where the two walls meet. Get close to the walls. You'll hear something quite different.

Try the lighter strings too. I have an archtop that I kept putting heavier and heavier strings on, thinking it would sound better...but it turns out in the end, it vibrates best with .012s (and the high E only replaced with a .013)

Just something to try. Strings are cheap.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-15-2023, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
Ok, how then?
Old 03-15-2023, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Ljguitar has posted a very good comment.

If it’s really an issue, I respectfully suggest you buy (or rent/borrow from an agf member) a Tonerite device and give that a whirl. Try putting it on full energy (pretty meek vibrations, really) almost touching the bridge, stick it in an out of the way climate controlled closet (ie indoors) and let it sit there from 2-4 weeks. Kid you not. Then put on some fresh strings (important) and give it a whirl.

Note to membership - I have no intention of getting into a Tonerite thang. Take it or leave it imo.

If that doesn’t get it……oh have you checked the humidity? Is it too damp?

Or, you may just have gotten a dog. Hate to say it but it happens. Hope not.

Good luck with it!

PS, after another look-see I agree with getting that ust out of there first.
Old 03-15-2023, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

The last time I went serious guitar shopping, I played three different small-bodied Eastmans (Eastmen?) and came away decidedly underwhelmed. All three sounded quiet, dead and muddy. I doubt I would ever consider buying one again.
2023 0-18
2023 Guild D-1212
1977 Takamine F-400S
1976 Takamine F-365S
60's Harmony H1213
Old 03-15-2023, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Edmonds View Post
The last time I went serious guitar shopping, I played three different small-bodied Eastmans (Eastmen?) and came away decidedly underwhelmed. All three sounded quiet, dead and muddy. I doubt I would ever consider buying one again.
My only experience is with their dreds …they are well built with good materials. They are not competing with D28’s & D18’s etc. in the sound department that’s for sure but for the money they are a good value. But I do think they are a little over hyped. I bought mine used, with an LR Baggs Anthem SL installed, for under a thousand bucks. I think it was like $900 if I remember correctly. It’s a good guitar, just needs the right strings to push the thick soundboard (much thicker than other guitars). Whoever owned it before me found the right strings, I’m just not sure which ones they were. For all I know they could’ve been those $40 Martin Titanium strings.

Anyone ever try those? Martin Luxe titanium core?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
e10d, eastman, strings