The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-12-2022, 07:31 AM

Default Active DI box - would removing endpin preamp improve sound?

Hello!

Influenced by Mayer's amplified acoustic tone, I recently got my hands on an Avalon U5 preamp/DI. I am pairing it with a Fishman Matrix Infinity system in my Martin OM28.

I was planning to use this rig for recording to start with, and then (hopefully) at gigs later on. However, when recording I have to say that I notice only minimal differences when plugging the guitar directly into my audio interface (Scarlet 2i2) versus going into the U5 first, and then into the interface. I found this very surprising since people generally seem to praise Avalon, and also considering its pricetag, I was expecting to hear more of a difference to be honest.

After reading online a bit, I noticed that the general rule of thumb is to use an active DI with a passive pickup, so I was wondering - would I see an improvement in sound if I "passified" my Matrix system by removing the endpin preamp and just connecting the UST directly to the endpin jack?

Or do you have other suggestions perhaps? Let me know!

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2022, 07:52 AM

There is much going on here.
Gain staging comes to mind. You
Essentially have 3 preamp stages
going here. The matrix, the u5, and the focusrite. Certainly eliminating one isnt going to hurt.. but carefully adjusting each one
So as to not overdrive the other is paramount.
I agree the u5 is top notch stuff ..And for the money focusrite makes a pretty good pre as well..
Whether or not you can hear that is another thing as these are very transparent
preamps that are designed not to color your sound...eliminating The u5 in the chain
may showcase what your missing...Hope this makes sense...

Last edited by varmonter; 06-12-2022 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-12-2022, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRiemann View Post
Hello!

Influenced by Mayer's amplified acoustic tone, I recently got my hands on an Avalon U5 preamp/DI. I am pairing it with a Fishman Matrix Infinity system in my Martin OM28.

I was planning to use this rig for recording to start with, and then (hopefully) at gigs later on. However, when recording I have to say that I notice only minimal differences when plugging the guitar directly into my audio interface (Scarlet 2i2) versus going into the U5 first, and then into the interface. I found this very surprising since people generally seem to praise Avalon, and also considering its pricetag, I was expecting to hear more of a difference to be honest.

After reading online a bit, I noticed that the general rule of thumb is to use an active DI with a passive pickup, so I was wondering - would I see an improvement in sound if I "passified" my Matrix system by removing the endpin preamp and just connecting the UST directly to the endpin jack?

Or do you have other suggestions perhaps? Let me know!

Thanks!
Hi Mister-R…
I suggest you post this question with explanation in the Recording section of the forum.

Most players record with mics and play live with preamps and pickups, but there are some who do use pickups for recordings. There are some very knowledgeable players and recordists who hang out there.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-12-2022, 09:06 AM

Thanks to both of you! I will cross post this in the recording section.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
avalon, di boxes, preamp