The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-05-2022, 02:17 AM

Smile Thank you for the Amazing Response!

What an incredible response to my first posting! I'm impressed that so many of you took the time to share your thoughts with someone just starting out.

You've given me a lot to think about. I will check in again later and let you know how I am progressing.

Very glad I will have this forum for questions as I embark on this new journey!

Allie
Old 03-05-2022, 02:32 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool555 View Post
Baby Taylor Mahogany is ok but I think a GS Mini Mahogany would be better. Mahogany is the favorite top wood here in AGF for the GS Mini.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allie521 View Post
What an incredible response to my first posting! I'm impressed that so many of you took the time to share your thoughts with someone just starting out.

You've given me a lot to think about. I will check in again later and let you know how I am progressing.

Very glad I will have this forum for questions as I embark on this new journey!

Allie
Hi Allie, Welcome to AGF!

I forgot to add the link below regarding favorite top wood for the GS Mini.

One more guitar you can consider is the Yamaha CSF3M, all-solid wood. It's nut width is 1-11/16" also. Sitka Spruce top and mahogany back and sides. About the same price as the GS Mini. I used to own one. Sold it because I don't play it regularly enough. Link to NGD is below too.

It's best if you can go down to play the actual guitars. If not, the next best thing is ordering online.

Happy searching (hunting) for your guitar!

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=532626

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=529237
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)

Last edited by Cool555; 03-05-2022 at 02:39 AM.
Old 03-05-2022, 06:20 AM

It's a fun journey. You will learn a lot about yourself as a player if you can go out and try a bunch. Happy hunting!
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 03-05-2022, 07:43 AM

I 100% recommend the GS mini. I looked around and found one with Taylor pickup installed for $250. Bought it for my grandson’s future. I put better tuners on it and did setup and it plays and sounds like guitars sounding 4-5 times as much. Perfect first guitar and fun for anyone.
Old 03-05-2022, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Hi Allie and welcome to the forum! Others have stated play a bunch of different guitars and that's great advice.
The best thing you did was to determine what you are after ie. liking the nylon string sound with your voice. That's an informed step in your journey.

Taylor's Academy nylon string is a nice kind of crossover
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...y-12-n-natural.

Hope this adds to your options. Good luck!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 03-05-2022, 08:45 AM

I do not sing and play only fingerstyle, on nylon as well as folk (orchestra size) guitars.
Anyway, I could offer some thoughts.

I guess you mostly want to strum chords, right ?

I am surprized you would need 1,75" nut width with small hands :
It could be because it is narrower than 2". It is a matter of comfort.
I mean strummers with small hands would probably prefer 1,725 (Gibsons)
or even narrower nut width. But 1 3/4" nut width is just great.

I may be wrong but understood you would not like a guitar that would sound
too bright : You have to understand that as a general rule, smaller the guitar
body, brighter the sound it delivers.

So, you may prefer an orchestra type, say OOO/OM or even a dreadnough
probably with Rosewood back and sides to get complex overtones.

Since you are used to the easier touch of nylon, it is mandatory that you look
at the action at first fret which is frequently too high on new instruments.

Hope it helps.

P.S. Joni Mitchell is reknowned to use many alternate tunings...
Old 03-05-2022, 10:38 AM

I would suggest a smaller full short scale guitar, parlor, 0, 00 or a taylor x12 sized. The travel guitars are great for what they are, and some sound alright, but the larger guitars sound fuller and will be more versatile.

I think you'll adapt just fine to a 1 11/16" nut width. Go to a guitar store and play as many different examples as you can. Pay attention to the shape of the neck itself, how thick it is and how it's shaped.

That nylon string Yamaha probably had a wider fretboard and a chunky neck. A typical classical body is also a little bigger and deeper than a 00.

Having said all this, I know some petite players who play full sized dreads as well.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:33 PM

Hi Allie, reading you post I was thinking GS Mini Mahogany and then experiment with strings to find what suits your voice best. Some others you may want to try: Martin Dreadnought Jr., and the Taylor Academy A12. Not sure what your budget is but those are all around $500 new. Yes, the GS Mini is billed as a travel guitar but quite a few people use them as their main guitar.

Welcome to the forum! Let us know what you decide on.
Old 03-06-2022, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

Also a singer here who finds myself sometimes -more-or-less- leading sing-alongs, since I also play guitar....I also suggest going gs-mini. Yes mahogany topped mini's seem to get a bit of a nod over koa tops on AGF and I do prefer mahogany; though I recently found one particular koa topped I couldn't resist. I'd see if you can try both to sing with as you may find one or the other accompanies your specific voice (and ears) better than the other. Good luck!
Old 03-07-2022, 03:53 PM

I'm going to jump in the Taylor camp. A dear friend of mine asked me the very same question a few years ago, and I'll respond the same way I did to her. I'd suggest a "Big Baby" or BBT. I am also of small frame and turn to this guitar perhaps most often as an all-arounder to accompany voice. (And I own my share of jumbos, dreadnoughts OMs, and all the way down to parlor size.) It's a slight size up from the Baby Taylor, but worth it, in my opinion, for the added fullness. The 3/4 or parlor size is great by myself in a small room. But I find there is a sound advantage to the Big Baby when singing—and singing with other people.

It is well built, won't break the bank and will serve you for years. I've beat up on mine for over 10 years, and it still keeps giving back. You could probably score a used one for under $400. The friend I referenced above was able to get one for about $350 a few years ago, and she loves it.
Old 03-07-2022, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Hi Allie and a BIG WELCOME to the AGF!

As you have already discovered, this is a great place full of incredible folks that are always ready to help.

You are on a good path with knowing what you are looking for as far as size and purpose/goals for your next guitar acquisition.

As many have already said, play as many guitars as you can. See how they feel both in comfort and ease of play. Audition them to see how they work with your voice. Do not discount Steel string or crossover without giving them a good chance first.

Most importantly. ENJOY THE JOURNEY!

Best of luck and... let us know what you decide on.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
baby taylor, beginner guitar, mahogany, nylon string, singing