The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-21-2021, 01:04 PM

Question Amp Recommendation for Martin with Fishman F1 Aura

Folks, I have a Martin OM-28e Retro with the Fishman F1 Aura Plus pickup system, but have never run it through an amplifier. Can anyone recommend an [acoustic] amp or small PA that would do justice for this specific guitar/pickup combination, as well as for vocals? The usage would be for home and non-raucous small to medium venues. Two mic channels would be nice, but not required. Many thanks.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

You're going to get a bunch of recommendations based on everyone's preference and some do sound better than others. For overall dependability and durability I would recommend a Fishman Loudbox Artist. Mine sees a lot of gigs and it does low to medium volumes very well. They also deliver good quality sound.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 10-21-2021, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Yup, go to the Fishman Loudbox line and pick the one that suits you best.
Old 10-21-2021, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Though for most of my shows (about 200 a year) I use a Takamine P3NC straight into a Loudbox Performer and lovin’ it for years. I occasionally use my D18 with a Tone Boss mag too and love it for instrumental/finger style shows... having said that I did have a 000-18e Retro with F1Aura+ and loved it!
I played it straight into my LBP too and it sounded great. Once I mastered all the settings (I spent considerable time dissecting it) I found 3 settings/microphone I liked for different styles. The mid-tone control is very versatile dialing in a variety of tones on the fly when on stage as the acoustics of the venue change throughout the night. I miss that guitar and I think it the best system Martin has had followed by the Anthem.
So as a long time player of the Loudbox, I can say from experience and my style that it is a good match for the F1AP. Here is a clip at a noisy venue I frequently play in Amelia Island, but you can get some idea of it live.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00006586202964

Last edited by noledog; 10-21-2021 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:15 PM

Noledog, nice sound and great performance. Well done.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:23 AM

The fishman loudbox mini is highly regarded in all forums. I anyway amplify my Martin OM-18e with a little Ibanez Troubadour.

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
2018 Loef Dread SS 12 fret
1972 Yamaha FG-75 Red Label
2017 Kremona Romida rd-c
Old 10-22-2021, 10:20 AM

Thanks, Mick. I've heard a lot of good things about the Artist. BTW, really enjoyed your audio link.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:25 AM

Nice video, Eric -- sounds great. Could tell the LBP was able to "cut through" quite well.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:48 AM

From posts above, seems like folk really like the LB line. In order to get a 2nd mic input, would it be worth considering the JBL Eon One Compact or the EAE D6-8 Pro? Any thoughts on how these compare to LB Artist/Performer? I have yet to find a review of the non-battery D6-8 Pro. Appreciate any comments or suggestions.
Old 10-22-2021, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
Noledog, nice sound and great performance. Well done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davemo View Post
Nice video, Eric -- sounds great. Could tell the LBP was able to "cut through" quite well.
Thank you gentlemen!! ...while I continue with Fishman LBP, I wish I had that 000-18e Retro back. It was a fun and easy guitar to play. Best wishes Dave in your search. Btw when, needed, I daisy chain two LBP’s or line out into a powered speaker or house PA.
Old 10-22-2021, 02:53 PM

So I'll swim a bit upstream of the loud box herd. Rivera makes a Sedona 55 and 25 all tube signal path amp that is designed to take acoustic instruments in ch2 - the Rivera traditional "Fender" voiced channel. They sound amazing. Years ago Doyle Dokes had that amp as a sig. amp and I saw him use it in a yearly close-t-Christmas clinic he'd do at my local indie music store - phenomenal player and the Rivera produces phenomenal acoustic guitar tone. I've got a Sedona 55 and it is head&shoulders above the tone from my Roland AC90 w/bass amp for sub and better than my Line6 L2T powered FRFR speaker - way better. Think about a Rivera Sedona 25 even, if you send it to the PA it will be your on-stage monitor and you could do arena's with it mic'd. I use it with my Martin GPCPA3 with the Aura system and my 000-18 with a Fishman Elipse Aura-lite-type pickup - both are dead simple to dial in for a remarkably natural live acoustic guitar tone from the Rivera Sedona - good stuff, it's the tone you hear in your head. Good Hunting.

Last edited by doublescale1; 10-22-2021 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Back when I was looking for an acoustic amp (mine was for home and jamming only) I had both the loudbox mini and the boss katana acoustic singer at home.

Both are good amps. The loudbox was easier to dial in initially but that is because the Boss has a lot more tonal variety available to it.

That said for my use I tend to use my acoustics at home through my fractal audio electric setups and the same FRFR speakers as I use with the electrics and only very occasionally pull out the singer. I also use the thr30 Yamaha with it's wireless because it's way more convenient and easy to bring wherever I want and easily fits in my living room with my couch guitars

If you really want to indulge I tried these at BIG and was able to have a discussion with the proprietor. http://www.humphreyamps.com/

They are amazing.

Last edited by Aspiring; 10-22-2021 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-24-2021, 05:00 AM
Charter Member

Just picked up a GPCPA1 with F1 Aura.

Being a vocalist. I was a long time PA guy. Sounds great in a PA.

Reviews I've read say, it sounds more acoustic, the bigger system it's in.
Old 10-24-2021, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Thank you gentlemen!! ...while I continue with Fishman LBP, I wish I had that 000-18e Retro back. It was a fun and easy guitar to play. Best wishes Dave in your search. Btw when, needed, I daisy chain two LBP’s or line out into a powered speaker or house PA.
I’ve got a buddy that daisy chains two LB Minis and that combo sounds dang good. Also plenty of volume for any venue I’ve seen him in. I’m thinking he may be a wizard and that setup won’t work for normal people so I just choose my Artist or Performer based on the venue.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 10-24-2021, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
I’ve got a buddy that daisy chains two LB Minis and that combo sounds dang good. Also plenty of volume for any venue I’ve seen him in. I’m thinking he may be a wizard and that setup won’t work for normal people so I just choose my Artist or Performer based on the venue.
It does work and with the Performer’s power, two can sound awesome!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
amp, amplifier, aura, vocals