The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-11-2021, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Arrow NGD! Taylor Walnut Custom Grand Symphony --- deja vu !!

Hi all,

I have been through about a dozen types of strings on my guitar, a Taylor Walnut Grand Symphony, over the past year, and it has taken this long to decide to keep it for the foreseeable future.

I chose Walnut after reading extensively on this forum, and Wade Hampton Miller's comments about Walnut -- so I had to give it a try. After additional research, I decided to go with X-Bracing while Taylor still offered it. I paired it with a European Spruce top.

Several months into owning it, I can say this:

It offers exceptional string balance, with fullness to the low end, clarity and punch to the mid range, and something of a cool (vs. warm) tonality that inspires alternative tuning experimentation. It is a very articulate guitar, and seems to like medium strings best so far.

BTW - I am including the strings in the NGD because the guitar sounds transformed from one string to the next...

Trouble was I chose strings in the shop where I purchased it, but then couldn't find them any place local to me -- and I like to support local businesses if I can with things like this.

I have tried (all Phosphor Bronze), in light & medium gauges:
Elixir
D'Addario XT
D'Addario XS
D'Addario EJ
John Pearse
Martin Lifespan
Martin SP

The declared winner as of today?

The Martin SP Phosphor Bronze 550, Marquis or standard edition. (same strings, Marquis is silken at the ball end to protect the bridge)

It's been a real struggle to chase the perfect tone - and I have heard that Walnut can be tricky to dial in.

I quickly determined that an uncoated string was best in my case -- but didn't know how the treated strings would sound -- those weren't quite my speed, either.

Once I settled on the idea I could optimize each of my guitars for its own string type, rather than trying to keep everyone on the same string, this became much simpler.

The Walnut really ended up being very particular about its preferred string. The D'Addario EJ and John Pearse I tried produced incredible sustain and overtone content -- however this particular guitar dampens the low frequencies with a more rapid decay, leaving the trebles to pierce the soundscape. The result was a somewhat edgy top end, sending me back to the shops to try something different.

Why are the Martin's different?

They don't offer quite the sustain as the EJs or JPs, at least on my guitar, on the treble strings, which actually ends up rebalancing the guitar, frequency wise. As the trebles dissipate just a touch faster -- I hear an overall, a richer, fuller tone.

I couldn't be happier --

So here I am, mixing my Taylor and Martin, and enjoying every second of it...

Here's an original finger style showcasing the guitar's tone (pardon the less than perfect execution):

-a.h.

*update: I went without this instrument for 9 months, and have it back again. So thrilled!

Last edited by AH Acoustic; 07-12-2022 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

IMG_0124.jpgIMG_0132.jpgIMG_0130.jpg
Old 09-11-2021, 11:12 PM

Interesting post, AH. Yes, I can attest to how picky walnut guitars can be when it comes to finding the right strings for them.

In my case, with my right hand attack, John Pearse phosphor bronze strings are the best strings to use on my walnut guitars. I own two and those are the strings I use on both of them. So it’s definitely a process of elimination figuring out what’s going to work.

I’m glad you’re having fun with it!

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-11-2021, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

Pretty guitar! I hope you continue to enjoy it! Congratulations!

- Glenn
Old 09-12-2021, 10:21 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Congrats! Really nice looking back on it. Finding the right strings makes the guitar.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-12-2021, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Thanks all

I appreciate your comments, much appreciated.

@ Wade, I did try JPs for several months with this guitar and another I have, and enjoy them very much on my Cocobolo GS. If I could get them locally, I'd use them all the time.

Not sure why the Walnut didn't take to them in my case -- although maybe the fact that I believe Taylor uses Claro Walnut (vs. Black Walnut) is important in that regard?

-a.h.
Old 09-12-2021, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Default A touch of flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Congrats! Really nice looking back on it. Finding the right strings makes the guitar.
Thanks Barry, the flame was a nice surprise (this was ordered with no choice in the set selection) -- luck of the draw!

-a.h.
Old 09-12-2021, 03:19 PM

Congratulations! I've gone through a lot of Taylors over the years and the only one that's stayed with me is a custom X-braced as well (cedar over cocobolo).

It gets along well with most strings I throw at it, cocobolo is probably less finicky than walnut, but I'll have to give those strings a try as I don't think I've ever used them.

Enjoy in good health!
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 09-12-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH Acoustic View Post
I appreciate your comments, much appreciated.

@ Wade, I did try JPs for several months with this guitar and another I have, and enjoy them very much on my Cocobolo GS. If I could get them locally, I'd use them all the time.

Not sure why the Walnut didn't take to them in my case -- although maybe the fact that I believe Taylor uses Claro Walnut (vs. Black Walnut) is important in that regard?

-a.h.
I’m not certain whether the species of walnut should be a factor in terms of what strings sound best. The similarities between black and claro walnut are much greater than the dissimilarities, but it’s hard to tell what other factors might be coming into play.

whm
Old 09-12-2021, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Default Video added

Added video clip to top post.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

If you like the longevity and feel of Elixir strings, don't discount the 80-20 variety... I'm generally a "phosphor bronze guy". but, on my new (to me) Goodall Concert Jumbo (pretty close to the GS size/shape). I tried a set of the 80-20's and LOVED them on that guitar!

I even tried the HD light (medium top/light bottom) and found them to be very balanced with the Goodall (where bass is NOT an issue at all!)...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 09-14-2021, 10:15 PM

Nice! I like the tune and the wood choice.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 09-15-2021, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful guitar. I love the sound you're getting out of it already.
Old 07-12-2022, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Smile Saved! NGD x 2 !

Hi all --

Lucky, lucky me.

I had a spell about 9 months ago where I was starting to get lost comparing my two Taylors.

I ended up selling both to a local music shop, and put a deposit down on a luthier-built guitar.

However -- that guitar is not complete, and... it had been 9 months, and I realized that I missed the Taylor Walnut quite a bit.

The shop still had it in stock. Apparently those that appreciate a Walnut Taylor are not very many. So...

I have it back!

Never going to leave again.

PS

I didn't mention this earlier -- but it was through extensive research about tone woods (back / sides -- as well as tops) done on this forum that led me to order this guitar as spec'd.

Thank you AGF.

-a.h.
Old 07-12-2022, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Lightbulb Two other samples

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
martin, sp strings, taylor gs, walnut