The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-08-2021, 11:57 AM

Default 2006 Martin OM-21

Hi all,
I have a Martin OM-21 purchased new in 2006 (pre-Special/redesigned current standard model). I'm wondering about its value. The guitar is in great shape, bought it with a geib case, and swapped out the tuners to open-gear Grover 18:1s.
Any insight would be appreciated!
Ben
2021 McIlroy A25 (LR Baggs Lyric)
2006 Martin OM-21 (LR Baggs Anthem)
1993 Taylor 810 (LR Baggs Anthem)
1960's Gibson LG-0 (LR Baggs M80)
1993 Standard Tele (Nashville setup w/ Bill Lawrence pickups)
Line 6 Helix LT
Old 07-08-2021, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

The most reliable way is to look at what has sold recently on Reverb to establish a range.

The last 2 comparable OM-21s with rosewood fingerboard and bridge went for $1525 and $1350 in "good" condition with thermo-plastic cases.

The Geib case might get you a couple more dollars, but nothing substantial (people are shopping the guitar, not the case). If well done, with no visible "scars" the tuner swap might bring a couple more bucks too, but I kind of doubt it, some people might see it as an upgrade, but not a significant one. If they're crooked, or you can see unfilled screw holes or something, it's more likely a liability.

If the cosmetic condition is better than those (both with honest playwear including a couple of dings, and a bit of fret wear), and the neck angle, saddle height, action, etc. are in good shape, you might be able to do a bit better than them.

Hope that helps.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 07-08-2021, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

I'll just add that, having reflected on it a bit... both those two recent examples seem a bit on the low side to me, having myself bought a newer (2014) OM-21 within the last year and a half or so, and having more or less watched the market since then (because I kind of want to pick up a special).

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 07-09-2021, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

I also use the Reverb.com "Price Guide". The good thing about it is it shows: 1)selling dates, 2) goes back a fair amount of time so u see multiple examples, and 3) guitar/product condition. It can give you a pretty good idea of the range to expect.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
mahogany, martin, om-21, rosewood, spruce