The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-29-2021, 06:52 PM

Default Are Martins generally hard to get at a good price right now?

I'm currently in the market for a Martin, and probably a D-28. I've seen pretty frequently, and even from some pretty recent sources, that a new D-28 can sometimes be had for $1900 - $2000, but I've contacted several stores at this point and the lowest quote I've been able to get is $2500. I was a little surprised when one store - a very prolific Martin dealer on forums like these that I've always read to be far and away the best price-wise - wasn't even budging from MAP on not just the D-28, but several Martins across various series.

It would make sense given the manufacturing and economic difficulties of the COVID era (and at this immediate moment, everyone just got $1400 so I'm sure stores are taking advantage of this), but I am curious - are guitar shops en masse not as willing to negotiate on Martins (or realistically guitars in general) right now, am I just not checking the right places, or am I simply misinformed on the average going prices for D-28s these days?

Last edited by ecole96; 03-29-2021 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Many shops aren't offering the same discounts they normally do because of low supply. There are still deals to be had though, as several posters here have recently mentioned purchasing new Martins at under MAP pricing. I'd recommend going to Reverb, finding every brand new D-28 up for sale, and call each dealer and ask for their best price until you find a deal you like. Or, if you don't mind buying used, start a WTB thread in the classifieds on here and UMGF, you'll likely find something in great condition at a great price.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:43 PM

To match the old pricing you'd have to get 25% off MAP and I don't think anybody anywhere is doing that now.

Willcutt gave me 15% off MAP within the last month on a 40s style dread. But a guy had told me they gave him 20% off in December... so the discount could be getting chipped away by the week but worth a try. They have 3 D-28s in stock as of now.

Eddies seems to have 2 in stock and I have a hunch they would match Willcutt.

And with quote in hand, the usual suspects might match or might not... it's a serious supply & demand equation so I don't even know if Maury's will price match. It their defense, I was tracking as they sold their last ambertone D41 and now the site says the next one is expected in DECEMBER. So that's the deal... when they sell out, they are gone for a good long while.

Good luck the reimagined D28 looks to be a really nice guitar.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:51 PM

From my efforts a few months ago, $2500 is probably the best you will do. If you go with Musician Friend you will make out even better because of their 8% bonus bucks, but may have to wait awhile for the guitar.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 03-29-2021, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Many retailers including a couple of forum sponsors are quoting MAP pricing. But discounts are available if you shop around. A few weeks ago I was considering a possible guitar and was quoted MAP, and my local store, who could get it for me in 4 months offered me a nice discount without even having to ask for it. I decided not to go for it but if I did I would have taken the discount and waited without any hesitation.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 03-29-2021, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote95667 View Post
Willcutt gave me 15% off MAP within the last month on a 40s style dread. But a guy had told me they gave him 20% off in December... so the discount could be getting chipped away by the week but worth a try. They have 3 D-28s in stock as of now.
Funny you mention them as they're my local store - they quoted me for $2599, so ~10% off MAP. Great shop (my uncle was actually a teacher there long ago), but the issue with buying from them is that I'm subject to KY taxes and the benefit of actually trying out the guitar is nullified because they're currently limited to curbside pickup.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecole96 View Post
Funny you mention them as they're my local store - they quoted me for $2599. Great shop (my uncle was actually a teacher there long ago), but the issue with buying from them is that I'm subject to KY taxes and the benefit of actually trying out the guitar is nullified because they're currently limited to curbside pickup.
lol I was subjected to CA taxes I asked them if they could just let me pay my CA sales tax on the honor system but they said sorry nah. I feel ya and they don't have a long return policy either I guess. I like them though and would for sure buy again there. Good luck.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:42 PM

If you're willing to pay full MSRP, there are new Martins aplenty.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:20 AM

I took delivery last week of a new Martin Special HD28 Style Adirondack VTS Herringbone Dread from MusiciansFriend. I called and asked for a better price and they gave me 15% off. My price was 2899.99 plus Washington State sales tax. I also received 231.00 in rewards to spend at MF. I don't know what the price was before Martin's recent price/advertising changes but I was ready to buy last week and that was the best price I could find. I could have gotten the same discount on the Standards but my brother has one of the Specials and recommended it. I'm happy with the deal and the guitar.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:27 AM

Wasn't that the price range for a D18, not a D28, pre-pandemic?
Old 03-30-2021, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vc1 View Post
Wasn't that the price range for a D18, not a D28, pre-pandemic?
The old 40% off of MSRP put the D-18 at $1900, the D-28 at $2160, and the HD-28 at $2340. All reimagined and long gone...

If I was going to have to spend MAP (or close) on a Standard Line model I'd have to check out AD's who did in house custom shop versions of the D-18/D-28/HD-28 as the disparity between the CS and Standard would be a lot less I believe?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-30-2021, 08:34 AM

Deleted due to misunderstanding

Last edited by PA Woody; 03-30-2021 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

You won't find many new Martins on dealers walls right now...and you can expect to pay what used to be called MAP, or very little less for what you do find.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Woody View Post
I took delivery last week of a new Martin Special HD28 Style Adirondack VTS Herringbone Dread from MusiciansFriend. I called and asked for a better price and they gave me 15% off. My price was 2899.99 plus Washington State sales tax. I also received 231.00 in rewards to spend at MF. I don't know what the price was before Martin's recent price/advertising changes but I was ready to buy last week and that was the best price I could find. I could have gotten the same discount on the Standards but my brother has one of the Specials and recommended it. I'm happy with the deal and the guitar.
MF standard discount for Martin's and other items seems to be 15% which was offered to me for an HD28 except it was for July delivery. I went with Sweetwater which was around 17% with some items thrown in which was less than MF when you consider the 8% rewards. But a bird in the hand.....
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 03-30-2021, 09:18 AM

Personally I am throwing a few bucks towards getting the guitars I have in top playing shape while I bide my time hoping the market will even out.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, d-28, martin