The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-29-2020, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Listening, right now, to a super interesting interview with Rosie on Michael Bashkin's fabulous Luthier on Luthier podcast! She is the subject of the most recent episode.

Check it out!
Old 12-29-2020, 03:04 PM
Eric Skye

Wowza. Fantastic
Old 12-29-2020, 04:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

What a great thread! (I need to spend more time on this subforum!). Thanks for sharing this with us!
Old 01-04-2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
I love that you are using local woods for this and it just looks fabulous. I've had the pleasure of playing the Taran he's just received and I reckon he's a lucky man with these two coming so close together. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks! There are some more traditional woods in the mix as well, but I managed to get in plenty of local woods too! Very happy to sit alongside the stunners from Rory, Stefan and Roger et al

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Nice work Rosie! I'm sure Martin will be well pleased!
Thank you! I hope so - I can't wait for him to have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
What a fantastic guitar, story, everything, Rosie!

Congratulations on the opportunity to collaborate with Martin Simpson, of all people! You two must be having the time of your lives sharing this build.
Yes we sure are - a real pleasure to build an instrument for Martin, he's such an inspiring player. I took part in a recent online workshop he ran and came away truly inspired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Yes, YES

This will be FUN. I have always loved Martin Simpson's music, and can't wait to
Hear him on this!

Carry on in good health and spirits!

Paul
Thanks Paul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdon View Post
Also following this thread with great interest.
Stunning work, well suited to a musician of Mr. Simpson’s abilities.
Well Done indeed !
Thank you! He really is such a great player - one of the best.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
Listening, right now, to a super interesting interview with Rosie on Michael Bashkin's fabulous Luthier on Luthier podcast! She is the subject of the most recent episode.

Check it out!
I'm glad you enjoyed it! Michael is a really nice guy and at truly one of the greats in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
Wowza. Fantastic
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organic Sounds Select Guitars View Post
What a great thread! (I need to spend more time on this subforum!). Thanks for sharing this with us!
You're welcome! Glad you found it interesting!
Old 02-06-2021, 08:42 AM

Hi Everyone,

I’m delighted to let you know that Martin Simpson’s new Turnstone flew the nest earlier this week!

Of course, due to the current pandemic restrictions we weren’t able to deliver it in person, so we boxed the guitar up carefully and sent it on its way. I awaited word from Martin with nervous anticipation to hear what he thought of it. As he had loved the other TM model he tried so much, I knew that this one needed to surpass that to suitably impress him!

I spoke to Martin on the phone earlier today and I was so thrilled to hear that he is completely enamoured with the guitar! And once again thankfully he loved it and said that he’s is able to do things on this guitar that he isn’t able to on others. He added that for him it’s very exciting because it’s inspiring him to try new things.

We’re just finishing off the photos that we took before it left, which we’ll post soon, but even better than that, Martin’s going to play it live at 4pm (GMT) today on his Facebook page!

Last edited by RosieTGC; 02-12-2021 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-06-2021, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful, Rosie... j-u-s-t beautiful!
Old 02-06-2021, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Awesome news, Rosie!

I caught this just in time, with only 15 minutes before tuning in to Martin's live performance. Can't wait to hear how it sounds. So exciting!
Old 02-12-2021, 08:06 AM

Hello all,

Thank you so much for your kind words and sharing the excitement of this build journey with me. It’s been quite the ride.

If you recall, I mentioned my client and friend Terry in the first instalment of my build thread. I made Terry’s newest Turnstone alongside Martin’s, and it was Terry who introduced me to Martin in the first place.

Here’s a quick recap:

It was back in 2017 that I met Martin, when Terry was visiting the workshop to spec out his first Turnstone; Terry brought him along for moral support and to try a Turnstone for himself. Martin (very kindly) had lovely things to say, and advised that when the time came he would be thrilled to give my instruments a spin in the future if I ever needed feedback. I took him up on this offer in 2020; and to my delight, the Turnstone Guitar I sent him to unpick was (which came as a surprise to me I may add) proudly smiling out from the cover Martin’s newest album, ‘Home Recordings’. I think this was a real highlight of my 2020.

After I delivered the news to Martin that the guitar in question was already spoken for, I did let him know that I still had the sister set of the mahogany from which it originally came, the plan to build Martin a similar guitar was made. I was overjoyed, of course.

Meanwhile, back to the client and friend I mentioned - Terry. Terry, as I’ve mentioned, already had one Turnstone Guitar to his name - and he came back for more in 2020, pencilled in to be in the same batch of guitars as Martin’s build. This was fantastic for me on a personal level, as you can imagine; the opportunity to build a guitar for each friend in tangent would no doubt be a total joy. And it really was. Both Martin and Terry, of course, imprinted their own personalities into the builds through their own choices and specifications working closely with me, of course, but they were also able to get excited together and receive updates in real time about their guitars coming together in tangent.

I also had fun with the fact I could, if I played it correctly, ensure that both guitars were finished at the same time, and that both boxes arrived on the same day. Of course if I had it my way I’d be delivering them both to Martin and Terry in person, but the Coronavirus had other plans. So instead I had fun orchestrating their arrivals so that they would have their guitars on the same day, and could share the excitement together. This all went surprisingly well and the guys got their guitars the same day, as planned (hurrah! That I felt smug the delivery had all gone swimmingly was an understatement).

To top it off, I was delighted to hear wonderful things about the guitars from both parties - a real testament to the fun we had collaborating upon the build from wood choice to design. It is a very special feeling to know that after the pandemic restrictions are lifted, whenever that may be, they will be bringing their Turnstones to play music together once more in a celebration of their friendship and of live music.

To top it all off, the day after Martin received his Turnstone, he did an exclusive little concert over on his Facebook page. Despite Facebook live’s tendency to murder sonic integrity through streaming and compression, it was great to see Martin enjoying his new instrument live time and getting feedback from such an appreciative audience. But with it apparently also being 'pick up your guitar day' yesterday, I was delighted to see Martin picking up his Turnstone with his full stage rig set up and playing some beautiful blues. Here's the link on Facebook to check it out (also on Martin's Instagram and Twitter) - https://fb.watch/3Cg61bk51W/

I can’t wait to see what the guitars inspire Martin and Terry to do in the coming weeks, months and years - thank you for following along the journey. We really appreciate you and your kind words here at Turnstone.

So without further delay - I am so happy to show you the photos of Martin's guitar and also a couple of Terry's too! Thank you for sharing this journey with me.

All the best, Rosie

And here are some of Terry's guitar too - an all English 'E-Series' guitar made entirely out of English grown timber. The top is English grown Cedar of Lebanon with English Cherry back and sides and English Walnut neck. The fingerboard and bridge are made from a wood called Labernum. This is also a TM model with a Florentine cutaway but this is a 12 fret join instead of a 14 like Martin's.

And lastly here is a picture of Martin with his Turnstone - I hope to soon have a picture of Terry too!

[url=https://postimg.cc/gnJWmkTZ]
Old 02-12-2021, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Wow--2 very lovely guitars.

Congrats on your shipping success and the delivery of these 2 beautiful guitars to their talented owners!

And thanks for taking us along on the ride!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 02-12-2021, 11:16 AM

Rosie, thank you so much for bringing us along on this journey! I thoroughly enjoyed each update, and getting to see the end product in Martin's hands. Absolutely stunning work all around! Well done!
Old 02-12-2021, 07:26 PM

Awesome guitars Rosie, looking forward to next year!
Old 02-12-2021, 09:15 PM

Thanks for sharing all this Rosie! Just a great story in the midst of two great guitars!
That piece of mahogany on Martin's guitar is the most beautiful I've ever seen!!!
Best wishes,
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 02-12-2021, 11:18 PM
Charter Member

Smile Beautiful indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Thanks for sharing all this Rosie! Just a great story in the midst of two great guitars!
That piece of mahogany on Martin's guitar is the most beautiful I've ever seen!!!
Best wishes,
Fred
The Mahogany is stunning, and I really like the looks of the Fretboard on the 12 fret, too! Both are SWEET. And the story is very cool!

Thanks for sharing, Rosie!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 02-14-2021, 11:13 AM

Thank you for sharing this build thread. I have been quietly following along until now. I first heard of your work through Michael Watts after meeting Michael a couple of years ago, he is a huge fan. I enjoyed your interview with Michael as well and your appreciation for all English woods and willingness to try new woods (non-traditional) in your builds.

These two guitars are absolutely beautiful. I think it is great that both you and Rory had projects going at the same time for Martin. I know my Taran is amazing and I would love to get a Turnstone into my hands at some point.

It is interesting to me on Terry's guitar, the English Cherry bears no resemblance in terms of grain or color to the Cherry trees in the US. Also that Labernum is a wood I am unfamiliar with, but wow is that stunning.

Thanks again for taking the time to do this thread, the AGF is better off because of it.

Tom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
mahogany, martin simpson, moon spruce, turnstone guitars, uk luthier