The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-11-2020, 09:43 AM

Rosie is a really great guitar builder. The first time I met her was when she came down to our place for our annual guitar do and played a song which she'd written herself on a guitar she had built herself; one does not often encounter that sort of combination. I've played a number of Rosie's creations and they really are great instruments. That Martin Simpson has commissioned a guitar from Rosie comes as no surprise at all.

Rosie and I will probably have to have a very serious conversation before too long...

Cheers,

Ian
Old 10-12-2020, 06:25 AM

Smile

This will be a great build, thanks for sharing. I have a TG 12 Fret commissioned with Rosie. She is really helpful, both listening to my thoughts and coming up with excellent suggestions. Just another 14 months or so to wait (they say patience is a virtue)...
Old 10-12-2020, 02:53 PM

I remember some time around 1990 at a music store somewhere near Washinton DC on the Virginia side Martin Simpson gave a guitar clinic and maybe some 25 people showed up. This was before I had ever built a guitar and was just learning. He was talking about this new guitar he had build for him from a luthier I believe who was out in California but I cannot remember the name. He didn't like the neck on it so he sent it back to him to replace the neck. I remember thinking "really?" You can replace the neck on a guitar? Ha.
Old 10-13-2020, 01:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikliv View Post
This will be a great build, thanks for sharing. I have a TG 12 Fret commissioned with Rosie. She is really helpful, both listening to my thoughts and coming up with excellent suggestions. Just another 14 months or so to wait (they say patience is a virtue)...
Welcome to the AGF mikliv, and after this first post maybe we can convince you to start a build thread in 14 months?!
Old 10-13-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Welcome to the AGF mikliv, and after this first post maybe we can convince you to start a build thread in 14 months?!
Thanks. That sounds like a good idea!
Old 10-14-2020, 02:41 AM

Thank you all for the lovely responses to my new build thread. I'm glad you'll be joining me as the build progresses and look forward to posting the next photo update

Thanks again, Rosie
Old 11-04-2020, 04:20 AM

Default Hello!

I’m excited to follow on from my initial post with progress on this Turnstone TM model build for Martin Simpson.

Firstly – on to the headstock! The company is named after the Turnstone bird which can be seen on British shores in the winter time. It’s a migratory bird, so they can be seen all over the world depending on the season. I like the practical nature of the name – given to these little birds who like to turn over stones on the beach looking for food. They also have a notably lovely pattern displayed along their wingspan when in flight. I thought to pay homage to that in my headstock design.

On every guitar I hand carve the Turnstone bird in flight into the top of the headstock. What I particularly love about this design is that depending on the woods selected – it looks different each time!

On Martin’s guitar I am using some gorgeous flamed Sycamore (similar in properties to Maple) for the main neck, and Ebony front veneer, a spalted Beech back veneer (to tie into the rosette design) and Mahogany veneers between those layers.

On to the Brazilian Mahogany guitar back - the bracing is now on, shaped and tuned. With my instruments I choose to take the ‘active back’ approach – I really want my back to move and contribute to the overall tone of the instrument. The timber specie that I choose for my back bracing is also of critical importance to me. On this instrument, as with the guitar that Martin tried, it is made from English Cherry. Cleets are also placed down the centre seam as a reinforcement for the glued joint. As with everything I do, should a person inquisitively peer into one of my instruments, I would like them to see that the inside has just as much care and attention to detail as the outside.

In the back strip detailing, you will also see the first integration of English Oak which was a particular timber specified by Martin that he loved. Along with the black Ebony, this will follow into the wider binding scheme all around the instrument. I can’t wait to see it all come together.

The rim joining assembly has also begun with the individual tantellones being placed around the edges. That is then followed by the side support struts going in. Both of these are made out of English Cherry.

The Soundboard is signed and is the first face to be glued on to the sides. The back is then glued on after that and the box is now closed! One of my favourite parts of the process.

As a last little update – I was very excited to receive a little something in the post from Martin. His new album ‘Home Recordings’ is released on Topic Records and will be out on November 13.

Thank you for checking out the progress on this build and I look forward to the next instalment!

Many thanks also go to Daisy Tempest and Karl Heydenrych for help with photography when my hands are otherwise fully engaged!

Rosie
Old 11-04-2020, 06:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

I love your innovative approach to the entire instrument. Your process of installing the tentellones before attaching the top was really interesting. Very nice! Can’t wait to see the completed guitar!
Old 12-21-2020, 03:18 PM

Things have been busy in the run up to Christmas and this build has come a long way since my last update, so I’m really pleased to share a few more build photos with you before it went into our spray booth.

As many luthiers will no doubt have said before me, and I’m sure will say again after me, the “closing of the box” is one of my favourite stages. It sounds like it should be a ceremony! Maybe....

Here you can see me pinning the fingerboard to the neck before gluing it on. This is a critical stage to ensure everything aligns perfectly to the centre line of entire the guitar and I always make a point of taking my time with this to get it absolutely dead on. The rest of the build really does centre on the centre!

One of the more creative looking processes is carving out the neck. I love using my spokeshave tool for the majority of this and it really is as enjoyable as it looks; you’re really working with the wood. Flamed Sycamore can be a bit of a devil when it comes to planing/spokeshaving because of the switching grain, which is what gives the flame. A sharp blade and light hand go a long way.

Here I'm drilling the holes for the bridge with my pillar drill and then I’ll be routing in the piezo for the under saddle pickup. Other than this, the rest of the pickup installation happens during the final setup rather than before the box is closed. I’ll be installing a Highlander IP1 which has been a staple in Martin's live set up for a long time. In the past Martin has combined this with a Maccaferri Feather but he wants to try something new on this build and has opted for a Fishman Humbucker soundhole pick up.

Finally, the bridge is placed, a deep breath taken, and the positioning pins for the bridge drilled!

Just time to take some photos, mask up the bits I don’t want any finish on and then hand the guitar over to my inhouse spray team (i.e., my husband Karl) for the beautiful high gloss finish to be applied.

That’s pretty much it for this update but I'll be back before not too with photos of the finished guitar so check back in a few weeks.

For those that didn’t catch Michael Watt’s chat with Martin Simpson on Instagram, he has now posted it in on his You Tube channel and here’s the link.

Very privileged to be mentioned in the latter part of the talk, along with my great friend Rory Dowling, of Taran Guitars!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!
Old 12-21-2020, 03:54 PM

Beautiful, Rosie! Thank you for sharing the process with us.
Old 12-21-2020, 04:52 PM

I love that you are using local woods for this and it just looks fabulous. I've had the pleasure of playing the Taran he's just received and I reckon he's a lucky man with these two coming so close together. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-23-2020, 05:37 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Nice work Rosie! I'm sure Martin will be well pleased!
Old 12-24-2020, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

What a fantastic guitar, story, everything, Rosie!

Congratulations on the opportunity to collaborate with Martin Simpson, of all people! You two must be having the time of your lives sharing this build.
Old 12-27-2020, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Smile I second Dennis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
A back story, fantastic woods, superb builder and incredible destination. What's not to love. Really appreciate you taking on a thread. I'm excited to follow along.
Yes, YES

This will be FUN. I have always loved Martin Simpson's music, and can't wait to
Hear him on this!

Carry on in good health and spirits!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 12-28-2020, 10:03 AM

Also following this thread with great interest.
Stunning work, well suited to a musician of Mr. Simpson’s abilities.
Well Done indeed !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
mahogany, martin simpson, moon spruce, turnstone guitars, uk luthier