The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-16-2020, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

First off. You can't expect too much from GC. Sam Ash may be a little better but allong the same lines. GC in Independence Mo every high end guitar in the store has unplayable action. I have been trying to like a Taylor tone since the inception of the company. Something about the tone just does not work for me. The Grand Pacific was a step in the right direction. Close but no cigar. It's possible you are on the other side of the spectrum. Maybe there is something about Martin that just doesn't do it for you. To each his own. That's why there are so many different guitars out there. one for everybody.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain View Post
Bloody ell don’t like the tone move on dude dont sweat it , martins are not the be all end all it is just( ,American This is a Martin the best there is crap )ther are loads a geriatric guitars out ther man Furch being one of them.....
What?
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-16-2020, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

There is no real answer on this one, simply because we all like different kinds of tone. That’s good!

But, as many others have already mentioned, you will have better luck finding a D-28 that “might” appeal to you from a different kind of store than GC or Sam Ash. Dead strings and high action rarely lead to a favorable playing experience.

Good luck. And, if you end up staying mostly in the Taylor camp, good for you, as you have something already that appeals to you!
Old 08-16-2020, 05:31 PM

I bought a Taylor 12-string and returned it. It just didn't do it for me. I know that Taylor makes fine guitars but they don't make the sound that I am used to.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:39 PM

I'm still not convinced that there are as many duds out there as some seem to believe, not from high-end brands.

My custom-shop Martin 18 style can sound like a dud one day and the most stunning instrument the next. Sometimes I think, "why did I buy this?" Others, like when I compared it against a pre-war, 1940 D-28, I realized I would never choose the D-28 over it. At least, not that day.

I've learned that the right pick and the right strings make me love that Martin while the wrong pick and the wrong strings make me want to sell it.

Same goes for my Taylors, my Lowden, my Pre*War ... Just have to find the correct recipe, which is rarely done in-store.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakar12 View Post
\ Others, like when I compared it against a pre-war, 1940 D-28, I realized I would never choose the D-28 over it. At least, not that day.

Same goes for my Taylors, my Lowden, my Pre*War ... Just have to find the correct recipe, which is rarely done in-store.
Interestingly enough, I just played my first 2 pre-war Martins last weekend - a '36 D18 and a 34 0-17. I think my Pre*War 000-28 is a better guitar than both. But possibly not compared to a 1907 00-21 I played that day...
Old 08-17-2020, 05:12 AM

Here’s my experience with a D28 and recently a HD28. The first was a 1983 D28 I bought new that year which had 150th anniversary stamped inside. I was fairly impressed with it and became an adept bluegrasser because of that guitar. The top got badly damaged so I sent it to Martin for a new top. I requested shaved braces like a herringbone has but specified no herringbone trim. I wanted to be the only one who knew. When I got it back there was no earth shattering improvement in tone, just a noticeable difference. Several months later the guitar was stolen. Jump ahead three decades. I traded a 2016 Gibson custom shop maple advanced jumbo for a 2015 Martin custom shop HD28 with VTS. It took less than 10 minutes playing it to agree to an even trade. The HD was well cared for and was one of two Martins the guy owned. It ranks decidedly at the top in terms of sound and playability of any guitars I’ve owned in 50 years. It’ll be with me til my demise.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:28 AM

I’m a big fan of Martin , but to my ears the D28 has never grabbed me when I have played them. Just not my thing. I have always owned D18s and D35s. Those are the Martins that inspire me.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:11 AM

I don't think I quite understand how a comparison can be made between the sound produced by two different guitar shapes?? A D-28 s 814CE?? Of course they'll sound totally different, so expecting anything else is just setting yourself up for disappointment. If the comparison is between a GPC-28E vs 814CE, that would be a more appropriate comparison I would think.

Years ago I was at Taylor spec'ing out a dreadnaught that I thought would give an HD-28 (or any D-28) a good run. So, the top and bracing was Adirondack Spruce, the back and sides Madi Rosewood selected by myself, with the help of the Talor guys in the custom woods section. It wasn't a cheap guitar by any means, substantially more than an HD-28 anyway. So, the guitar arrives and yes, impeccably finished and a marvel to look at.

Even after about 10 years I still remember this vividly. With new Taylor in hand and mesmerized by the grain on the Adi top, I proceeded to try the normal chords etc. Well, I have never been so profoundly disappointed. When a buddy commented how his Seagull S6 blew it away, was the last straw!! Needless to the Taylor got sold...and fast.

So my expensive lesson in that exercise is that whatever internal bracing systems used by Taylor and Martin, means they will never, ever sound the same. Comparisons...well there just ain't none.

I am, and have been...for a long, long time now, a happy D-28 owner.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Haven't played a D-28 in a few years. But I do remember there was a big difference in tone of the D-28 and the HD-28
Old 08-17-2020, 07:37 AM

I see it differently. I wasn’t expecting the Martin to sound like a Taylor. But I think comparing two guitars of different brands, shapes, sizes etc, is actually a good idea because it really shows you the differences between them. (Which one has more bass, treble, volume, sustain.. which one is better for strumming, finger picking etc.) I understand your point of comparing guitars that are similar in terms of specs, but I think comparing guitars that are different sizes, shapes, woods, etc can also be very useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsch4me View Post
I don't think I quite understand how a comparison can be made between the sound produced by two different guitar shapes?? A D-28 s 814CE?? Of course they'll sound totally different, so expecting anything else is just setting yourself up for disappointment. If the comparison is between a GPC-28E vs 814CE, that would be a more appropriate comparison I would think.

Years ago I was at Taylor spec'ing out a dreadnaught that I thought would give an HD-28 (or any D-28) a good run. So, the top and bracing was Adirondack Spruce, the back and sides Madi Rosewood selected by myself, with the help of the Talor guys in the custom woods section. It wasn't a cheap guitar by any means, substantially more than an HD-28 anyway. So, the guitar arrives and yes, impeccably finished and a marvel to look at.

Even after about 10 years I still remember this vividly. With new Taylor in hand and mesmerized by the grain on the Adi top, I proceeded to try the normal chords etc. Well, I have never been so profoundly disappointed. When a buddy commented how his Seagull S6 blew it away, was the last straw!! Needless to the Taylor got sold...and fast.

So my expensive lesson in that exercise is that whatever internal bracing systems used by Taylor and Martin, means they will never, ever sound the same. Comparisons...well there just ain't none.

I am, and have been...for a long, long time now, a happy D-28 owner.
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 08-17-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeisen93 View Post
Hi Everyone. My favorite and main acoustic guitar is my Taylor 814ce that I bought new in 2006. I have been playing guitar since 2002 and have actually never tried a Martin D-28. I have heard great things about the new 2017 re-design so I wanted to try one.

I went to my local Guitar Center, and tried one. The action was so high - I mean it was way higher action than ANY guitar I have ever played (and I've played hundreds, both cheap and expensive). The strings were also really old on this D28 so I assume that would negatively affect the sound. I'm stunned that Guitar Center wouldn't change the strings, and more importantly, lower the action before trying to sell it.

I know old strings can really affect tone, but when my Taylor 814ce has old strings on it, the guitar still sounds amazing.

I then went to my local Sam Ash and tried a D28 there. The action was better, but the tone was nothing special.

I know guitarists love D28s, and of course they are famous guitars. I'm just wondering why the two that I tried, at two different stores, just didn't sound like anything special.

I do own a Martin X1-DE which is a fraction of the price of a D28, and it sounds amazing!

I'm curious - what are your thoughts on this?

I admit up front,, haven't read the three pages of replies.

but if you are looking to spend some money, just go for the new 814CE DLX Vclass.

I bought one about two weeks ago, and I can't put it down. This is my fourth taylor, and I also have a SJ200... So,, it's not like I don't have any idea what I'm talkin bout here... it's AMAZING!
Old 08-17-2020, 08:14 AM

Are the new Martin D28's straight braced or scalloped? Forward shifted braces or rear shifted.

I'm no expert on the current Martin D28 configuration, but I know what I like (don't like) I don't like straight braced and much prefer scalloped and rear shifted.

Maybe your ears prefer scalloped over straight braced? Rear shifted to Forward Shifted.

Lots of configurations and options out there to suit every preference.

MGF
Old 08-17-2020, 08:42 AM

Couple of thoughts.

I think the nearly universal praise for the D-28 is a generalized praise and a recognition for what the D-28 of the past did for multiple genres of music and builders of guitars. It isnÂ’t necessarily praise for the D-28 model being sold today. From original to today, about the only things that are the same on a D-28 are the ebony fretboard and bridge and the scale length. Back and sides are different woods. The top is a different wood. The bracing is different. Glue is different. Neck is different. Truss rod is different. Not sure about the nut, saddle, and fret wire particulars.

There are a lot of colors along the spectrum of what people like. And even many lifelong diehard fans of Martin guitars, including this one, arenÂ’t swayed to buy a stock D-28 today because it doesnÂ’t fit what we want. However, I bet many that reject todayÂ’s D-28 are like me and have a D-28 variant they absolutely love, whether itÂ’s an Authentic, a Custom Shop build, a vintage guitar, or another builderÂ’s take on the D-28. And thatÂ’s where the love comes from. We recognize our D-28 variant wouldnÂ’t be possible if not for the original.

And about those two particular ones cited in the opening post, they likely need to be driven with fairly aggressive strumming and picking (given todayÂ’s modelÂ’s straight bracing) to show what they are. I think the modern D-28 is still a solid choice for a rhythm player in an acoustic band.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinGibsonFan View Post
Are the new Martin D28's straight braced or scalloped? Forward shifted braces or rear shifted.

I'm no expert on the current Martin D28 configuration, but I know what I like (don't like) I don't like straight braced and much prefer scalloped and rear shifted.

Maybe your ears prefer scalloped over straight braced? Rear shifted to Forward Shifted.

Lots of configurations and options out there to suit every preference.

MGF

seems that by reading the post, most of the stuff that stood out to me was the high action. Which I sort of agree with. I think Martins are great instruments..

but I don't ever recall picking one up and thinking "WOA.. This is just what the Dr. ordered"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic guitars, d28, martin guitars