The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-02-2020, 03:14 PM

Talking NGD - Larrivee 000-50!

This year I was finally ready to get a "nice" guitar. One that was built with beautiful tonewoods, great craftsmanship, sound, and most importantly one I really connected with. Over the last several years, my every day, go-to guitar has been my Gibson F-25. This resulted in an appreciation for 12-fret acoustic guitars, along with the wider nut width.

So when it came time for me to check guitars out, I initially was thinking I'd get a 12 fret dreadnought (bigger sound, would add some tonal variety to what I own). But I checked out several slope shouldered guitars and realized that I have become a convert to slightly smaller guitar bodies as well. My search narrowed down to a smaller guitar body, either 00 or 000, a wider nut width, 12 frets preferred (but not required).

I had heard really great things about the Larrivee traditional series, and even called my local dealer to get a quote on the 000-50 as well as the SD-50. Since they are part of their top-of-the-line guitars (around the $3k range), my local dealer didn't stock any, which was a bummer. I figured I'd probably not get my hands on one locally.

I stopped by several local shops and tried some Martins that I really liked, along with a nice Eastman. I even wrote about it in a thread here on the forum. I also started to research some other builders, and came across Iris Guitars, based in Vermont.

The specs of the Iris OG really spoke to me, and I was about to pull the trigger on a deposit for it. But I held off a few days, because the thought of paying that much for a guitar I'd never played before seemed risky. The day before I was planning on putting down a deposit, a local Craigslist post appeared with... a Larrivee 000-50! I couldn't believe it, and I contacted the seller right away.

He was asking a great price, and it already had a K&K Pure Mini installed. I drove over to check it out, and instantly loved it. The neck has a 1 7/8" nut width (it's a 2005 model before they updated them with a narrower width), and a slim C-shaped profile that's in the same ballpark as my Gibson. But what I was most impressed with was the sound. This guitar sounds HUGE for a 000! It has such a nice balance to the sound, really sweet while fingerpicking. But when strummed with a pick I almost feel like it could give a dread a run for it's money. It's that beefy sounding.

I went home and chatted with my wife about it. She was thrilled I found a guitar I loved locally that ended up being cheaper than the build I was planning on, so I brought her home. Here are some photos, I'm not the best photographer but tried capturing a few angles of this lovely guitar. The mahogany back is just gorgeous, and has this rich honey, golden character to it that is seriously stunning. The fit and finish on the guitar is impeccable, and I have been so pleased as I've been playing it!

The lesson for me that was reinforced through this purchasing journey is this: try, try, and try more guitars in person if you're looking for a keeper. I played quite a few different guitars that seemed great "on paper" and connected to all of them very differently.

2019 Ibanez AC340 OPN

Singer Songwriter: http://benjaminkrogh.bandcamp.com
Old 08-02-2020, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations! Glad you found one that speaks to you!
Old 08-02-2020, 03:23 PM

Congratulations! As a Larrivee owner for several years, just let me say that you just bought yourself a very fine guitar.

Roger
Old 08-02-2020, 03:23 PM

Dang me, that is a beauty. I love the Larrivee 50 series, and the 000-50 is one of the very few guitars I still lust after.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Dang, that is gorgeous.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:32 PM

That’s beautiful.

I’d take the pick guard off but that’s just me.

Congratulations!
Old 08-02-2020, 03:51 PM

Stunning! Congrats!
Larivee OM-40
Guild D-125 12 NAT
Yamaha CSF3M TBS
USA Stratocaster
Gibson les Paul Junior
Custom built Thinline Tele
Old 08-02-2020, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Hi Ben,

I had a Lwrrivee SD-50 LSH-TSB large sound hole total sunburst, 2004 model. I disdn'y buy it, I bought a Huss & Dalton that eventually went back to the dealer who gave me the Larrivee as part compensation.

I had two Collings 12 fret dreads and wasn't looking for another, so plus the fact that it was so pretty, I didn't gig it that much, and eventually sold it to a good friend who was deeply in love with it.

I had plenty of time to compare it with my |Collings with the same woods. For me, Collings are the ideal brand for me, my style, and my hands, but I have to say, I couldn't fault the build quality, finish, or tone of my Larrivee.

I'm glad that you got the wider neck version and the pics seem to show a top that has been nicely tanned.

I don't really understand why Larrivees, esp. the trad series aren't more highly regarded, but I think most that get 'em, keep em.

I wish you great joy with your 000-50, I think it's gonna work out fine!

(waiting for videos!)
Old 08-02-2020, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

So cool. That top has aged into a beautiful color.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:59 PM

Congrats on a beautiful instrument. Enjoy.
#2 Pencil
Various Scraps of Paper
Old 08-02-2020, 04:22 PM

Congrats, that's a fine looking Larrivee, enjoy it forever.

I'm a big Larrivee fan, have a few myself that are keepers.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
Dang, that is gorgeous.
You beat me to it.

Cottonwood, Congrats on the Larrivee!
Old 08-02-2020, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Larrivees are great guitars and this one looks amazing! Glad things worked out for you! Enjoy making great music with it! Cheers!
Old 08-02-2020, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

What a great find! Cool that it worked out the way it did.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 08-02-2020, 07:11 PM

What a beautiful guitar! If that had popped up on my local CL, you’d have had to fight me for it. Glad it found a great home, congrats.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
12 fret, larrivee, larrivee 000-50, slotted headstock