The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-27-2019, 09:15 AM

Default John Pearse Folk by Thomastik -- yes!

I put a set of these on my Ibanez in hopes that the trebles would be easier on my fingertips than the usual plain wire -- and yes! They sound good too .

The more comfortable, the more playing, the more music, the more happiness all round. Worth every penny.

Ibanez Artwood Vintage grand concert acoustic
La Patrie Motif parlor-size classical
Cordoba Mini M travel-size classical
Cordoba Guilele even smaller classical (so cute!)
and
Ohana SK20-S soprano ukelele
Old 01-27-2019, 09:19 AM

Can you tell us why/how they’re easier on your fingers?
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-27-2019, 09:28 AM

The trebles are about the gauge of classical nylon strings, which are thicker than acoustic steel strings. The slightly thicker strings don't cut into my fingertips like wire does.

Here's the blurb from the Thomastik website:

"The bass strings E, A, d are round wound on a nylon core for a big warm sound without distracting picking noises. The treble strings are flatwound nylon on a rope core and sound brighter than nylon strings. JOHN PEARSE is the perfect set for acoustic fingerstyle guitar."

They have a ball end, so you can use them with bridge pins (I took the opportunity to put in bone pins).

Very nice. Strings by Mail has them.

Ibanez Artwood Vintage grand concert acoustic
La Patrie Motif parlor-size classical
Cordoba Mini M travel-size classical
Cordoba Guilele even smaller classical (so cute!)
and
Ohana SK20-S soprano ukelele
Old 01-27-2019, 09:39 AM

I really wanted to try these, but was concerned that the plain strings (being wound) would be too 'scrapey' when playing with nails. Has this been relevant to you? If so, how've you going those first two strings?

Also, what's the tension balance across the strings like? And the 'volume' etc. Thanks
Old 01-27-2019, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Aren't they classical guitar strings?

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-27-2019, 10:15 AM

John Pearse designed these strings when he was working for Thomastik. I’m not certain what year that was, but I’m thinking it was in the late 60’s or early 70’s.

Yes, they’re nylon strings, but designed specifically for folk music - the windings on the B and high E strings act to boost the treble response, which is often unimpressive on classical guitars, especially on inexpensive factory-made classicals.

I have these strings on my all-laminated Espana guitar, which I bought at an estate sale for $30. It’s astounding how much better they make that guitar sound.

Martie, I don’t play with my nails, but I do sometimes use a flatpick on this guitar, which with most classical guitars creates a fairly harsh sound, perhaps even a “scrapey” sound. But not with these strings; they sound good whether I’m using bare fingers or a pick. Naturally, I can’t guarantee that they’ll work well for you, but they’re certainly worth a try.

Anyway, the primary market segment that John designed those strings for was for people playing fingerstyle acoustic music, primarily folk music styles. If I had one of those early 60’s Martin 0-16NY New Yorker models, which were designed to be played with either steel or nylon strings, this particular string set is what I would string it with.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-27-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
John Pearse designed these strings when he was working for Thomastik. I’m not certain what year that was, but I’m thinking it was in the late 60’s or early 70’s.

Yes, they’re nylon strings, but designed specifically for folk music - the windings on the B and high E strings act to boost the treble response, which is often unimpressive on classical guitars, especially on inexpensive factory-made classicals.

I have these strings on my all-laminated Espana guitar, which I bought at an estate sale for $30. It’s astounding how much better they make that guitar sound.

Martie, I don’t play with my nails, but I do sometimes use a flatpick on this guitar, which with most classical guitars creates a fairly harsh sound, perhaps even a “scrapey” sound. But not with these strings; they sound good whether I’m using bare fingers or a pick. Naturally, I can’t guarantee that they’ll work well for you, but they’re certainly worth a try.

Anyway, the primary market segment that John designed those strings for was for people playing fingerstyle acoustic music, primarily folk music styles. If I had one of those early 60’s Martin 0-16NY New Yorker models, which were designed to be played with either steel or nylon strings, this particular string set is what I would string it with.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
That certainly helps me, thank you I'd settled on Newtone Heritage but string acquisition syndrome (SAS - I can't afford GAS, so this is my poor man's substitute!) is now whispering (rather convincingly) in my ear to give these a whirl
Old 01-27-2019, 01:36 PM

These strings have not been on my radar. They sound very interesting.

Anyone know the overall tension of these strings? Close to classical nylon strings? I'd like to try them on an old Aria.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post

Anyone know the overall tension of these strings? Close to classical nylon strings? I'd like to try them on an old Aria.

..I use them on a vintage parlor...24 inch scale...very soft touch and yes i’d say they are very close to a standard tension nylon set....full and rich sounding...the “plain” strings...(which they are not really)...feel like nylon strings....nothing else like em....
Old 01-27-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:

I just looked on the TI website and the tension of each string ranges from 13.5 to 14.7 lbs, so well balanced and very low tension indeed.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:03 PM

After discussion with Wade I tried them on my early Takamine nylon string guitar.
It has never sounded better.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 01-27-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martie View Post
I just looked on the TI website and the tension of each string ranges from 13.5 to 14.7 lbs, so well balanced and very low tension indeed.
Much obliged. I'll order a set.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
After discussion with Wade I tried them on my early Takamine nylon string guitar.
It has never sounded better.
Bubs -- Any strings you HAVEN'T tried?
Old 01-27-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Bubs -- Any strings you HAVEN'T tried?
Gibson and SUS I think... and my new Rickenbacker has me worried.
I've never changed bass guitar strings in my life.
How do I even cut them?
Rick owners manual recommends changing them one at a time.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 01-27-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Aren't they classical guitar strings?
Yes and no. They can be used on either classicals or acoustics. The trebles are, in fact, steel cores wrapped with nylon. Have a set on my Lakewood. They sound quite nice and are easy on the fingertips. I fingerpick primarily, but only bare flesh -- no nails.

The problem I have with them is that the high e slips right off the fretboard (NOT out of the nut slot) sometimes -- low tension, I guess. . I have not experienced this with any other acoustic set I have had on the instrument. I like the sound and the feel, but will not use them again on an acoustic.

For my LaPatrie classical, I prefer a Savarez 520P set with wound trebles -- way less expensive than the John Pearse Folks.
Blueridge BR-142
Recording King R0-T16
Alvarez AP66SHB

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
strings