The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-13-2018, 10:49 AM

Smile Martin D 28 2017 or Bourgois Vintage D NGD

Hello fellas !

Iīm currently in the market for a new acoustic guitar and narrowed it down to the new Martin D28 2017. Playing alot of bluegrass flatpicking but also like to strum beautiful cowboy chords and I do play some fingerstyle inbetween too.
Unfortunately iīve seen a video of the great Afie Jurvanen aka Bahamas playing a gorgeous Bourgeois Vintage D :

https://youtu.be/q4jD3cGnSEM

Ive played a HD28 before an it was pretty nice but the bass was a little too flubby / too bassy so I think the d28 would do the (allround) job the best.

Does the new D28 2017 comes close to a Bourgeois Vintage D soundwise ?

The sound of the guitar in the video is exactly what im searching for - thight but strong bass and nice clarity. I know the Vintage D has a Adirondack Top unlike the D28. But I didnt find any specs regarding the difference in bracing between the D28 2017 and the Vintage D. Both do have rosewood back and sides.

Thank you very much !

Best , Z
Old 04-13-2018, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

I think you just need to play a bunch and find the one that speaks to you. If you buy over the interweb make sure there is a solid return policy. Two of the same model may vary a bit in sound.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:14 PM

It is my belief and experience that when producing aprox. 400 guitars a year versus 700 thousand the result is a totally different instrument. Not my intent to cast a negative just suggesting another consideration for you to ponder. MOST importantly you will be cheating only yourself if you do not play both, the difference will be obvious.

Last edited by hifivic; 04-13-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:25 PM

My thoughts, being a Bourgeois owner, is that you might have to search for a while to find the exact Martin HD28 balance you're searching for. HD28s do, from my experience, have a noticeable mid range that dominates and a separation from the high strings, that I don't like. With Bourgeois, balance is key for me, and in that video it's clear that the depth and also the balance is there. If and when I buy another guitar, I have a feeling it's going to be another Bourgeois.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbach View Post
Does the new D28 2017 comes close to a Bourgeois Vintage D soundwise ?
Hi Z --- those guitars are different animals. The Bourgeois has the richer tone, the Martin more chime and is -- well -- "Martiny".

Your post reminds me of when I got my Bourgeois Signature D. I played it against a wide range of rosewood Martin dreads, and the Bourgeois was different from all of them. The best Martin I played at that time was the "America's Guitar" version, and I think it beat out the Bourgeois with its majestic Martin tone, but I had a D-18V at the time, and didn't need more of the Martin sound. So I bought the Bourgeois.

Which is to say each has its signature tone, and it's up to you to decide which you like.

I would second Looburst in that the Bourgeois has more balance -- almost seems to lack the midrange scoop associated with rosewood dreads.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:19 PM

A Bourgeois Vintage D is more fairly compared with a Martin D-28 Marquis, which has a similar Adirondack top, and price points, not the standard D-28.

Other than that it's personal preference. I've owned one Bourgeois (Country Boy Deluxe) and a boatload of Martins, great guitars but "different".

Back to point, will a standard D-28 be a good approximation of a Bourgeois Vintage D, in my opinion no. I think a D-28 Marquis would be the closest rosewood Martin dread, but even then in general Bourgeois' are more balanced and Martins more "rowdy" (in the good sense), they are cousins, not twins.

Play both is what I would do, only way to know for sure...........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 04-14-2018, 03:11 AM

Thank you all for the help !

The Problem is that i donīt have the chance to get to play and try a bourgeois guitar here in my area.
I thought the new D28 might be quite similiar both being rosewood dreads etc. but it seems the bourgeois is quite unique..and also quite expensive.

Are there maybe other builders / models i should consider before i buy the d28 which will get me closer to a bourgeois vintage d but for about 3000$ ?

Thank you all so much !

Best
Old 04-14-2018, 04:48 AM
Charter Member

I have not played one myself but, I hear great things about the Santa Cruz DPW. There is one for sale at Cotten Music. Ask Kim about it - she knows her stuff and is as honest as they come.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:02 AM

Quote:

The Problem is that i donīt have the chance to get to play and try a bourgeois guitar here in my area.
I thought the new D28 might be quite similiar both being rosewood dreads etc. but it seems the bourgeois is quite unique..and also quite expensive.

Are there maybe other builders / models i should consider before i buy the d28 which will get me closer to a bourgeois vintage d but for about 3000$ ?

Thank you all so much !

Best
PM sent!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-14-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:

Thank you all so much !

Best
Huss & Dalton, maybe? TD-R. Used one would be well within your range.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:08 AM

I think you have a good list going, but suprised no one has said a Collings if you can find one.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

zbach: Although you listed two specific guitars for comparison, I wanted to plant a bug in your ear just the same. I recently purchased two Martin dreads, a D-18 with Adirondack top/braces and a D-28 (2017) and much preferred the tone of the D-18. The price is right, and you might find one of them to be worth a look....

https://www.guitarhotline.com/martin...uitar-2166926/
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:09 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:09 AM

I think it comes down to the INDIVIDUAL guitar. I'm not sure that I'm familiar with the specific Bourgeois models, but can tell you that given a choice sight unseen I'd go for the Bourgeois over a Martin almost any day. I played one not to long ago that from the moment I picked it up just sung. Had I not recently purchased a '72 D35 and had no more discretionary $ at the time I'd have taken it home. But as I said, it comes down to the individual guitar.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 04-14-2018, 10:21 AM

At the price you're looking at, for a professional level dreadnought, you need to arrange a trip to a shop to play them. Unless of course you have tons of time and patience for multiple mail order experiments. I don't. Plus, a trip can be fun. You never know what might jump off the wall and grab your attention. :-)
Old 04-14-2018, 12:05 PM

Thank you again for the replies.

Where iīm living there aint any guitar stores that have those expensive guitars in stock.

After some further research I think I will get a Martin HD28 - Iīve played it a week ago and it was really amazing. The bourgeoise is too expensive for me right now and I think the HD28 would be the best "allrounder". The d28 would be nice too though....

Thank you all and have a nice weekend!

Best , Z

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
bourgeois, d28, martin, vintage d