Old 11-27-2017, 06:37 PM

Default Martin D-28 Dan Tyminski - SOLD

Martin D-28 Dan Tyminski

SOLD.
Not interested in trades. Sorry!

Here are some audio recordings of me playing this very guitar:

For high resolution pictures go here:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/149457536@N08/K9oV9m

Up for sale is a 2011 Martin Dan Tyminski D28 number 48 in the series. This is a wonderful sounding guitar. It's quality is similar to that of the Marquis line of Martin guitars, but distinguishes itself for having a rear shifted x-bracing, something that is found on only a few guitars in the current Martin lineup. Based on Dan’s 1946 herringbone this guitar is no longer manufactured and there seems to not be many that were made. Likely less than a few hundred if I had to guess based on serial numbers. If you aren’t familiar with Dan, he’s one of Alison Krauss’s guitarists and vocalists.
Check out the link (above) to a recording I made of this exact guitar to hear it in action.

The guitar comes with two bone saddles! I had each one custom made for me so that I could easily switch between light and medium strings without having to adjust the action / truss rod. This is actually something Dan Tyminski has had done (where I got the idea from) and it’s pretty useful to have if you like switching things up.

Other upgrades include the slotting and ramping of the bridge and custom shaped solid bridge pins which gives this guitar a feature found in most high end boutique builds.

Condition: This D-28 is in really great shape. The action at the 12th fret is 3/32 while the height at the bridge is around half an inch. The relief is perfect (no back bow, and not excessive) so this guitar is ready to play with minimal adjustment to your tastes. There’s plenty of life in the frets with no major wear that would require leveling.

There are a few bumps and bruises but absolutely no cracks in the wood. I keep all of my guitars in a climate controlled room so this guitar hasn’t experienced any major changes in humidity. I am the third owner of this guitar so it’s been played well. Most of the pictures won’t show well any cosmetic issues.

Two things of note:
- There seems to be a small dent in the finish on the top shoulder on the herringbone. You have to search for it.
- There are a few cases of lacquer checking that must be pointed out. The pictures will show them in detail. This is an unfortunate side effect of the finishing process Martin employed during the late 2000’s and early 2010’s. In fact, before buying this guitar I knew from research that most of the guitars from this time period experienced this issue and Martin has since adjusted their finishing process. Essentially what happened is that Martin didn’t remove enough of the finish at points of contact (under the bridge, under fretboard extension) and so once the guitar was under tension these little checks in the finish developed. This has no effect on the sound and is not structural whatsoever. My price reflects this.

Specs
- Adirondack Spruce Top, East Indian rosewood back and sides.
- Mahogany neck modified V measures 1 11/16 at the nut.
- Ebony Fingerboard
- Scalloped 5/16" Adirondack spruce top braces cross in the "rear-shifted" position to provide uncommon balance and clarity.
- Special 2 1/4" string spacing at the bridge speeds both strums and runs.
- Headstock features Martin's Golden Era® decal logo on a polished East Indian rosewood head plate
- Waverly tuners
- Diamond and Squares abalone pearl fingerboard markers
- Comes with a hard case.

Brand new this guitar listed at $5149.

I’m selling for SOLD.

The instrument is fully insured for transit.

Last edited by tedswan; 02-23-2018 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Moving sale, yup got sell quick. I'm moving. Big price drop. Free shipping? Yup.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Gorgeous set of EIR on that one! GLWS

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 11-28-2017, 04:57 PM

Yeah it really is!!
Old 11-30-2017, 11:57 AM

Bump for great guitar!
Old 12-04-2017, 02:55 PM

Bump for price drop!
Old 12-12-2017, 11:33 PM

Quite a bit of interest, but no bites yet. Someone get this. It's awesome but I'm playing my 72' Gallagher G70 more and I'm feeling like I need some electric guitars this Christmas!

Bump!
Old 12-14-2017, 01:04 PM

Clip sounds really good!

Last edited by paintguy; 12-14-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintguy View Post
Clip sounds really good!
Thank you!!!
Old 12-14-2017, 09:30 PM

Wow I cant believe the amazing tone of that guitar. If I didn't live across a border i would be in trouble.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantjudoman View Post
Wow I cant believe the amazing tone of that guitar. If I didn't live across a border i would be in trouble.
Hey thanks!!
Old 12-16-2017, 05:42 PM

Still available!
Old 12-19-2017, 10:28 PM

Bump for great guitar!
Old 12-21-2017, 07:19 PM

These Dan Tyminski models are exceptional sounding guitars. Someone will be very satisfied...
Old 12-23-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theologian View Post
These Dan Tyminski models are exceptional sounding guitars. Someone will be very satisfied...
Yeah they certainly are. In fact, I was just answering a private message and someone had asked me why I was selling and if I had some additional audio clips.

As I was recording some new clips I became a bit mournful over how beautiful it sounds.

Unfortunately, I have some holes I need to fill on the electric guitar side of things and I already have a 72' Gallagher G70. Very different guitar, but not so different that I can't see the Martin as redundant in my setup. The Gallagher has sentimental value, so I had to choose my favorite child... Ugh!

I've added some new audio clips above including a quick, yet timely finger picking diddy .
Old 12-24-2017, 04:50 PM

Guitar still available. Check out my new clips. Sounds pretty dang good if I do say so myself .

Last edited by tedswan; 12-26-2017 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Back on the market.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Tags
d-28, dan tyminski, marquis, martin