The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 10:11 AM

That's wonderful! Do you notice a difference in the sets as you examine them.....LS, versus Singing, etc. Does one seem obviously different than another in terms of build qualities?
Love my LS top Doerr, I was so fortunate to attain that soundboard.
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 03-08-2017, 01:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
That's wonderful! Do you notice a difference in the sets as you examine them.....LS, versus Singing, etc. Does one seem obviously different than another in terms of build qualities?
Love my LS top Doerr, I was so fortunate to attain that soundboard.
Fred
One thing they have in common is a large amount of sustain when tapped. They do vary greatly in density. What I have goes from 7.5g/cubic inch all the way down to 5.98gr/cubic inch. The Tono Basso being the lightest. They are all exceptionally wonderful soundboards but, I would recommend some over others depending on the model and goals.

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 03-08-2017, 02:35 PM

Oh man...

Looking at those lovely walnut sets and redwood tops, I wish I could lay my hands on a Hatcher...

You should get yourself a UK dealer!

D
Old 03-08-2017, 03:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianL View Post
Oh man...

Looking at those lovely walnut sets and redwood tops, I wish I could lay my hands on a Hatcher...

You should get yourself a UK dealer!

D
Thanks for commenting DamianL.
There has been a lot of talk about a free trade agreement between the UK and the US. That would certainly help things along!
I am planning to do some hiking in Scotland this Aug or Sept. Wouldn't be too hard to bring a guitar along!

Best Regards,
Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 03-08-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Zandit75,

I don't know if the world is ready for that different!
Haha, quite possible, however if anyone could make an MDF/Ply guitar gorgeous, it would be you!!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 03-08-2017, 07:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Domestic Woods

One of the things I like about using domestic woods is it's not too hard to see the actual trees that are made of them. If you've been following my posts for awhile you've seen the Koa trees in Hawaii and the Red Spruce from out back behind my shop. Here are a couple pictures of Redwood trees along with a couple including my lovely and ever patient wife Karen;

Thanks for viewing!
Mark

Old 03-09-2017, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Thanks for commenting DamianL.
There has been a lot of talk about a free trade agreement between the UK and the US. That would certainly help things along!
I am planning to do some hiking in Scotland this Aug or Sept. Wouldn't be too hard to bring a guitar along!

Best Regards,
Mark
Really!

Well it's a lovely country for a hike......but bring some midge repellant.

You may avoid the worst of it in September...but then its' a lottery with the weather.

For a working holiday, pass through the East Nuek of Fife to Pittenweem and drop in on Rory Dowling at Taran guitars...lovely chap and great luthier

D

Last edited by DamianL; 03-09-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianL View Post
Really!

Well it's a lovely country for a hike......but bring some midge repellant.

You may avoid the worst of it in September...but then its' a lottery with the weather.

For a working holiday, pass through the East Knuek of Fife to Pittenweem and drop in on Rory Dowling at Tarn guitars...lovely chap and great luthier

D
Thanks!

I'm familiar with Rory Dowling's wonderful work. I like his sense of design. It's very clean.

Mark

Old 03-09-2017, 08:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default More Domestic Woods

Since I'm been on a domestic wood theme lately, when I got all that Redwood I also found some more of that unusual bear claw Sitka that I am using on Bard Rocks Padauk Josie that is in the finishing process;

These might go really well with these domestic back and side sets I have sister sets of. Like Bastogne Walnut;

Or Quilted Maple;

Thanks for viewing!
Mark

Old 03-10-2017, 04:05 AM

It's all about the wood!
Old 03-10-2017, 07:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross748 View Post
It's all about the wood!
I have to agree with you on this one. The wood really is the single largest driver when I'm making decisions about and building my guitars.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default What's Cooking?

I haven't posted in a little while. I've been hard at work developing a new technique and new designs for this latest spec guitar I'm working on. This will be my Penelope model 12 fret guitar with Olivewood back and sides. The whole shop smells like an Italian restaurant as soon as this Olivewood touches sandpaper.

I'll do a separate build thread on this guitar because there are so many new elements but, here is a preview of what I am developing/learning/practicing to create the Olive wreath rosette. I am doing an inlay/marquetry hybrid technique. The colors of the wreath consists of natural woods; Yellowheart, Argentinian Verawood, and Peruvian walnut.

When I titled this post "What's Cooking" I wasn't kidding. This is how I shade the edges of the cut out olives to make them look rounded. I cook them in a pan of sand;

The wreath is set right into the Alpine Italian Spruce;

Thanks for viewing!
Mark

Old 04-09-2017, 06:56 PM

Wow, time to grab the popcorn again!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 04-09-2017, 08:58 PM

I always follow your builds as they are consistently amazing, this new guitar is no exception!
Old 04-10-2017, 03:00 AM
Music soothes the soul!

My goodness, that rosette is special. Congrats Chef Mark on sharpening your technique. I love the greener slant on the woods (my favorite color). Beautiful work!

BTW, I got to meet Tom Doerr at the Artisan Guitar Show. Really nice guy. I let him play the Penelope I have of yours. He loved it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop