The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-07-2015, 02:50 AM

Smile Hd-16r? Or D-28?

Hey, I've been going crazy trying to decide which guitar is best, I can't go into a store to try them out,because of my panic attacks, but I can order one online. After looking at the specs, I see that they are basically the same other than the top, the d-28 of course having Sitka spruce, and the hd-16r having Adirondack spruce. I play a mix of fingerpicking and strumming, and I don't know if Adirondack is as good for that or if it is better. If you have played either guitars, or either wood, please if you can help me out, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!!
Old 07-07-2015, 03:30 AM

Can't speak for the HD-16 as I've never played one.

However, I bought a new D-28 in 2008 (the one with 175th Anniversary etched). I wasn't sure as it was just satisfying a promise I made to myself nearly 40 years ago.

Like you I finger pick, flatpick and strum (pretty much a bit of everything). This guitar just gets better and better. You can go into tales of 'opening up' etc, frankly I don't know. What I do know is this guitar sounds so much better than when I bought it - I'll leave the theory to folks who know about that stuff.

At one point, I thought I'd made a mistake as the action was really high. Having researched, I realised that the guitar was 'wet'. When I stored it in the correct temperature and RH conditions, it quickly restored the playability.

I use Elixir Nanoweb Medium strings (again you'll get all sorts of opinions - not my Circus, not my Monkeys) which, for what I play, sound great and last forever.

This may not help you, I hope it does. I can only have MY opinion and that is one of absolutely NO regrets having chosen the D-28 which is also a classic of the marque.

What a dilemma - have fun choosing. By the way - welcome to the Forum, lot of bright folks here.

Last edited by brianmay; 07-07-2015 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Added 'Welcome'
Old 07-07-2015, 04:23 AM

They may look the same, but they are not. Besides having different tops, the D-28 has a traditional dovetail neck attachment, while the HD-16R does not. The bracing is also different, and the HD-16R has herringbone purfling around the top, plus a sort of orange vintage toner. The HD-16R has a modified "V" neck and an 1 3/4" nut width. They sound very different from each other.

I own both, and while I prefer my D-28, I also like my HD-16R. It is a loud guitar, with much more bass response. I like the "V" neck and the wider nut width. The D-28 has a more "balanced" sound, with more shimmer and sparkle, but the HD-16R is just fun to play and I use it at larger acoustic jams when I want more volume and punch, along with heavy bass.

My HD-16R has a striped ebony fingerboard and bridge. Some were produced with a Richlite fingerboard and bridge. The D-28 has black ebony.

These two guitars feel quite different in the hands. If I had to keep just one, it would be my D-28. Don't be deceived by the looks, they are definitely two different breeds of cat.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmay View Post
Can't speak for the HD-16 as I've never played one.

However, I bought a new D-28 in 2008 (the one with 175th Anniversary etched). I wasn't sure as it was just satisfying a promise I made to myself nearly 40 years ago.

Like you I finger pick, flatpick and strum (pretty much a bit of everything). This guitar just gets better and better. You can go into tales of 'opening up' etc, frankly I don't know. What I do know is this guitar sounds so much better than when I bought it - I'll leave the theory to folks who know about that stuff.

At one point, I thought I'd made a mistake as the action was really high. Having researched, I realised that the guitar was 'wet'. When I stored it in the correct temperature and RH conditions, it quickly restored the playability.

I use Elixir Nanoweb Medium strings (again you'll get all sorts of opinions - not my Circus, not my Monkeys) which, for what I play, sound great and last forever.

This may not help you, I hope it does. I can only have MY opinion and that is one of absolutely NO regrets having chosen the D-28 which is also a classic of the marque.

What a dilemma - have fun choosing. By the way - welcome to the Forum, lot of bright folks here.
Thank you very much for the reply, it does help, thanks!
Old 07-07-2015, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
They may look the same, but they are not. Besides having different tops, the D-28 has a traditional dovetail neck attachment, while the HD-16R does not. The bracing is also different, and the HD-16R has herringbone purfling around the top, plus a sort of orange vintage toner. The HD-16R has a modified "V" neck and an 1 3/4" nut width. They sound very different from each other.

I own both, and while I prefer my D-28, I also like my HD-16R. It is a loud guitar, with much more bass response. I like the "V" neck and the wider nut width. The D-28 has a more "balanced" sound, with more shimmer and sparkle, but the HD-16R is just fun to play and I use it at larger acoustic jams when I want more volume and punch, along with heavy bass.

My HD-16R has a striped ebony fingerboard and bridge. Some were produced with a Richlite fingerboard and bridge. The D-28 has black ebony.

These two guitars feel quite different in the hands. If I had to keep just one, it would be my D-28. Don't be deceived by the looks, they are definitely two different breeds of cat.
Thank you for the reply! So, if you were playing solo acoustic shows, would you probably use the d-28? Thanks!!
Old 07-07-2015, 05:29 AM

The 16 series is more of a budget guitar, built with a neck joint method designed to save time. If the D-28 is in your budget, it's certainly well worth getting.

Mike
Old 07-07-2015, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crob View Post
Thank you for the reply! So, if you were playing solo acoustic shows, would you probably use the d-28? Thanks!!
Yes, that is what I usually take, although sometimes a D-18.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:33 AM

[QUOTE=PengyUMGF;4559978]The 16 series is more of a budget guitar, built with a neck joint method designed to save time. If the D-28 is in your budget, it's certainly well worth getting.

A new HD-16R costs about $50 less than a new D-28...
Old 07-07-2015, 06:18 AM
Guest 1928

The 16 Series guitars are typically brighter sounding compared to traditionally braced Martins. I'd get the D-28.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Default HD16r Adi

I have the HD16r adi.. I've played both and could own both, however the d28's i've played where just ok.. The HD16 is a cannon and sounds great finger style and strum. It can take a lot of attack from strumming and holds up very well. Its just an all out good guitar. If you can handle the mod v-neck, I just like the way it sounds better. YMMV.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:29 AM

I have an HD-16r and absolutely love it for strumming. Granted I've only have it since March, but so far so good. I wasn't able to compare it side-by-side with a D28, but I have played a couple D28s at Guitar Center and I was not impressed with them from the first strum the way I was with the HD-16r.

For strumming I'd say the HD-16r can hardly be beat. However, for fingerstyle I find it somewhat lacking as the balance of volume across the strings seems heavily favored toward the bass. The treble strings are much quieter in comparison and melodies get drowned out somewhat on certain tunes. Maybe that's a bad way to put it, I just don't hear as much as I want from the treble strings on this guitar for fingerstyle tunes.

FWIW, I also recently purchased a new D18 and find the volume to be better balanced across the strings. If you're not 100% sold on rosewood b/s, you might check out a D18 as well if you're looking for something that can do strumming and fingerstyle well.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

I got a chance to play an HD-16R Adi about two months ago -- loved it! Great volume, and it had a nice airy glow to the tone that is very familiar with an Adi/Rosewood combination.

Totally destroyed an HD-28 Retro that was hanging on the wall next to it, which was yet another typical bass heavy midrange-scooped 28 series Martin. I also liked the extra string spacing and beefier neck on the HD-16R Adi.

The only negatives that I had are with that aging toner (hate it), and the fact that it was a relatively heavy guitar (I prefer lightly built instruments). But if you find a great sounding one and can handle the neck, don't dismiss it out of hand.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
d-28, hd-16r, martin