The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-18-2014, 04:14 PM

Acoustics with hardwoods for the tops, like mahogany or koa, do play in but hard woods take much, much longer to play in than spruce. So, if you are the instant gratification seeker and have no patience then new mahogany or koa topped guitars may not be for you, and even spruce might not be for you and you may want to focus on cedar which starts out near to the point of being its best. If you do have the patience or if you buy an older one that has been played a lot, then I believe that spruce will be your best choice as it can play in in just a matter of a few years and in my opinion it surpasses cedar. If you really have patience or if you buy an even older guitar then mahogany or koa topped guitars are wonderful and in my opinion they wind up exceeding the spruce topped ones.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 01-03-2022, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Dan) View Post
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum, and this is my first post, so I apologize if this has been discussed before.

A few weeks ago, I bought a solid mahogany top guitar. I really love the sound of it, and I've never had such a good time playing! I was just wondering if anyone could tell me from personal experience how their mahogany guitar has aged. Has the tone changed in any way? Or, has the tone remained pretty consistent over time?

Thanks!
Hi Dan,
Not sure if you will see this. I just got a Taylor 324ce and I love it so I was looking on here for posts that might be relevant to my new guitar. It has a mahogany top, like yours, and I'm wondering how yours has aged, since it has been quite a few years since you posted about it. Not sure if you even still have it, or check in on the forum, but I'd love to hear any feedback.
Cheers!
Jimmy
Old 01-03-2022, 05:22 PM

Hard to say. My D-15 may sound better, but after 30 yrs. in the NYC subway I wouldn’t know.
Old 01-03-2022, 05:30 PM

Welcome to the forum.

It took me 35 years to wear out my first all-hog guitar, a 1973 Guild D-25 that travelled a great deal and was not gently treated. That guitar was replaced with an all-hog 2016 Martin 000-15m, which is barely broken in at this point.

Go wild.
Old 01-03-2022, 07:33 PM

The mahogany does, but I don't.
Old 01-03-2022, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
I have one of our Custom 0-15's and like other Mahogany guitars I've had in the past, it seems to get louder and more resonant by the day…...
I have a 10 yo Martin CS variation of a 000-15sm since new and agree. I do wonder if(or believe that)the bracing aging on any top also contributes.
Old 01-04-2022, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Some truth to this. I played the heck out of my LA Guitar Sales OM-15 the first 6 months after I got it and the guitar definitely got louder and the sustain increased. I also came to prefer 80/20s on it... specifically the Ernie Ball Earthwood light mediums in 12 - 54 gauge.

Enjoy your new guitar
I have a Martin 000-15 and those very same strings are also my favorite on that instrument.

Mahogany is a hard wood so it is very stable and seems to open up slowly over time.

Last edited by DownUpDave; 01-04-2022 at 04:24 AM.
Old 01-04-2022, 04:22 AM
Charter Member

I have had my D15 for about twelve years. I don’t think the sound has changed in any way I would notice.

The only negative change to sound is the oversanding of the saddle by my guitar shop when I asked them to lower the action. I have since fixed that issue myself.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
age, aged, mahogany, tone, top