The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-01-2014, 08:12 AM

Default What type/model pickup would you suggest with this preamp?

I'm going to be installing a preamp and pickup in my Seagull Entourage and want to make sure the two components will work together.

This is a cheap guitar that would only be used as a backup in case of a broken string on my Martin, so all I need is something functional and decent, not high end. I have a Fishman Prefix onboard preamp/EQ unit that someone gave me, so I just need to get something that I can be sure with work with it.

Can I use just any passive under-saddle pickup? I'm thinking of using a Martin Thinline 332 as they're less expensive than most of Fishman's offerings. Any other/better suggestions in a similar price range? And would any other types of pickups work with this unit besides the under-saddle type?

Probably dumb questions...but I've always bought guitars that already had their electronics pre-installed. Basically I just want to know the best option for decent sound, without breaking the bank, that will work with the Fishman Prefix.

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2014, 08:50 AM

The Fishman Matrix UST is compensated with a not-flat equalization in the Prefix preamp (this is not the case for other UST options which do use a flat equalization curve such as the Baggs Element). Thus the Prefix is only compatible with a Fishman Matrix UST PU. Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-01-2014, 09:38 AM

Interesting, thanks for the info. I'm a little confused though -- the Matrix models that I'm seeing all have their own preamp. How would I use that together with a separate preamp unit?
Old 07-01-2014, 11:04 PM

Go on Amazon, buy a K&K Pure Mini pup, and never look back.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Go on Amazon, buy a K&K Pure Mini pup, and never look back.
I've heard good things about those too. Would that mean just forgetting about using the Fishman Prefix unit, or is it possible to use them together? Being a passive pickup, if I can't use the Prefix with it then I'd probably want to also get a separate preamp.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:57 PM

For the benefit of anyone who might read this thread and be curious about these pickups...

I found out that the Martin Thinline Gold+ is actually the Fishman Acoustic Matrix Natural. Both brandings come in version I and II (I for smaller-bodied guitars, II for larger bodies with boomier low end). So if you're ever looking into one of these models, be sure to check the other brand version and see which one you find the best deal on.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
compatibility, onboard preamp, pickups