The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-05-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbdeweese99 View Post
Hey y'all; i want to get some good opinions on some live gear for some smaller venues ( smaller bars/ clubs where you might expect just a man with a guitar). I've got a Martin d35 with no pick up, and I really wanna mic it rather than install a pu. My singing voice is mostly mid to bass (think don Williams or kieth Whitley). I don't wanna have to depend on a house pa either, you know. I really want the best sound for the dollar, but I don't want overkill (which is what the salesmen always wanna steer you toward). I'm almost utterly clueless in this department, so any help is appreciated! Thanks.
Quote:
Could I run my guitar and mic into the QSC 12" and piggy back a smaller (cheaper) monitor from the QSC? Thanks!
I mic' the guitar all the time, with no issues; that said, there are situations/rooms where a good "stage" guitar, is preferable, or, a must.

I just wanted to briefly mention that monitoring yourself is important, and the type of mic you choose, will affect where you place, and how you EQ your monitor. If you're using a conventional floor-monitor, you'll want your monitor firing into the "null" of the pick-up pattern of your mic. It's also a good idea to "ring out" your monitor, and apply the necessary EQ to eliminate those feedback causing "frequency spikes" that you can frequently encounter, especially when playing tight stages, with reflective surfaces.

Front-of-house(FOH) situations will vary widely, and because of that, I tend to prefer systems that offer adequate sound-pressure-level (SPL) capability (for "worst-case scenarios"), a "full" frequency capability, and adequate dispersion. You can always turn down a stronger system, but you can't turn up what's not there to start with. Low frequency performance will also vary, depending on the size of the room, the distance covered, and the availability (or non-availability) of reflective surfaces (walls/ceilings,etc) This will be especially noticeable when playing outdoors, where you'd most likely need a decent low-frequency capability.

Have fun, and enjoy your new set-up.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:06 PM

If I were you I'd put a K&K in your D35. It really is pretty unobtrusive and only the really anal Martin guys will care.

I use EV ELX112P speakers (great prices), an A&H Zed 10FX mixer, a Fishman Loudbox Artist and harmony and looper pedals. I play a Martin OMCRE with a Fishman Aura Pro onboard preamp as well as a Takamine EAN20C. Your Tak will sound great if it has any stock preamp from the last 20 years. Mine has little trouble subbing in for my Martin. I like to have two guitars for backup as well as for alternate tunings (open G, Drop D, Eb standard).

I use my acoustic amp for a monitor at bigger gigs and as a stand alone mini PA in smaller settings. For an acoustic guitar/voice gig smaller main speakers would do just as well, however, I sometimes use these speakers for a small rock combo also.

I've spent less than $2000 on this PA gear (minus the guitars, pedals). It can get ridiculously loud, but sounds great and is quite flexible for my needs.

Mike
Old 02-06-2013, 08:35 PM

+1 for the Fishman SA220 system for what it sounds like you want to do, which sounds a lot like what i do. I think the Bose and Fishman systems offer a lot that other concepts don't, although your priorities may vary. Compactness; plenty of power for most or all types of venues you'd play as a soloist; they both also dual-function as monitor systems which other systems won't; they both put your sound source up at the proper height, which other systems won't do without speaker stands (you can decide how much stuff you want to haul around and set-up!), and general simplicity and economy. The SA220, keep in mind, was engineered for exactly what you're doing -- vocal and guitar.

I prefer the SA220 because it has on-board reverb which I don't believe the Bose does; it has an overall feature set that works great for me, and the Fishman system also works fine within close proximity to me standing up or on a stool (I have it immediately to my left and about 18 inches back so I can easily tweak things) whereas I believe Bose recommends a six-foot distance between you and it. Anyway lots of these systems have their own pros and cons, so figure out as best what's important to you and go from there. Good luck!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic

Last edited by slewis; 02-07-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Could I run my guitar and mic into the QSC 12" and piggy back a smaller (cheaper) monitor from the QSC? Thanks!
Yes, you can piggyback the QSC K8 - or any powered speaker, for that matter - from the output of a K12.
Although for solo guitar, the K10 will sound a little better than the K12.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post

<snipped>

As far as a sound system goes I would highly recommend this one:
http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/...pact/index.jsp

It's compact and powerful enough for the venues you're looking at.

<snipped>
Toby, do you have anything between the guitar and the Bose L1 Compact?

Thanks in advance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
guitar mic, live music, live sound, p.a., small venue