The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-20-2012, 08:08 AM

Unhappy Not happy with Taylor pickup

Hi everyone - it's my first post on the forum.
I've the proud owner of a Taylor 214ce, which I've owned for about 9 months. I'm a relative novice as I've only been playing a couple of years, but I've started to do some local open mics and I'm not happy with the amplified sound of my guitar. It's waaaay to treble-y and not a true representation of what is (to my ears) a lovely natural sound.
Am i stuck with this? I've read about preamps and soundhole pickups - should I be going down this route? I don't want to chop the guitar up but i don't mind modding it a bit.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:18 AM

Run it through a pre-amp / equalizer.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...-guitar-preamp
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...ra-acoustic-di
Old 09-20-2012, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

While not the Expression System, the pickups in the 200 series are still very capable of dialing in a good sound. Can you give us a little more information about what amp or sound system you are playing through or maybe about how you are setting your tone on the guitar?

Old 09-20-2012, 10:28 AM

I'm using an Ashton 50w valve amp
Old 09-20-2012, 10:29 AM

Oh, and I'm having to turn the treble right down on both the amp and the guitar
Old 09-20-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane View Post
Thanks Dane, I'd probably rather do that than change pickups, which is where my local guitar store has been leading me
Old 09-20-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippersjoe View Post
I'm using an Ashton 50w valve amp
That sounds like an electric guitar amp and, if so, you'll never get a good acoustic sound from it regardless of the pickups/preamps you're using. Electric guitar amps are voiced to be a part of the sound with funny frequency responses and added distortions. Acoustic amps and PA's are best when they are transparent.

Before you purchase anything, find out how your guitar sounds through a good PA system and/or a good acoustic guitar amp. Then, you can make decisions regarding what needs to be replaced or added to your system... I'm guessing you'll want to begin with the amplifier.
that's me on guitar
Old 09-20-2012, 06:08 PM

I have had a 214ce and currently have a 210e. With the tusq/micarta saddles and the plastic bridge pins...they sound very nasal. I replaced the bridge saddle with a nice bone saddle and the pins with buffalo horn pins...it gave the guitar a more balanced sound. That also translated to a more balanced sound through the pickup.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:24 PM

Just be careful when doing a bridge replacement with bone. Its all about the uniform density of the bone, so you have to pay a little more to get a decent product. Bone will affect the tonal response but it takes a keen ear to hear it in most cases over tusq.

Second, I think it is the amp and not the electronics in the guitar. Test on a good acoustic amp or PA system as suggested.

Third, you are right about the sound of the 200 series. Really amazing tone for not a lot of money.

Brad
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 09-21-2012, 11:17 AM

Default EQ Pedal

For a cheap fix , pick up a Boss GE-7 EQ pedal. I haven't played out in 25 yrs .but used to get many compliments on my sound and all I was using was that pedal. Also carries in your case. You can spend alot more for something better but these are great bang for the buck, $50-60
Old 09-21-2012, 11:22 AM

I have gotten several of the saddles made for me by Bob Colosi. I measure the original with a dial caliper for the length, width and height on each end. Then I measure the height where each string sits on the saddle. When I get the saddle back from him...they take about ten minutes of fitting to get them installed. His bone saddles and nice and he is really a craftsmen.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:19 PM

The pickup in the 100/200 series (ES-T) is different than the pickup in the 300 series on up (ES) .... just in case people don't know and think all Taylors sound like this.

Have you tried different cables and different amps? Also, do you have any friends that have a 100/200 series that they can try through your amp?
Old 09-22-2012, 05:30 AM

I used to own the same guitar and could never get a good sound when plugged up. My suggestion would be to pickup a JJB 330 and install it. Just leave the volume controls on the guitar for looks.

You could get a decent sound eventually after buying a bunch of pedals. Not really worth it in my book.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:49 AM

This:

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/MSAL1XT.htm
Old 09-22-2012, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

This thread shows a large part of my beef with manufacturer-installed pickup systems, especially when they involve barndoor controls....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
pickups