The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-23-2023, 10:47 PM

Default Please wish My Yiari a recovery

In December I noticed my bridge lifting on my 83 K yiari YW600. It's a player condition with a belly. There was a bit off tear out and must confess I did her no favors with the bridge removal.

I decided it needed to have new spruce graphed in to the most damaged part (1x1.5 in.) and new bridge. I wasn't going to attempt a new bridge plate ( it wasn't cracked). I ordered a sound hole reinforcement piece of spruce and an ebony bridge blank.

It sat on a table with pressure on the top for 6 weeks with the blanks getting hydrated while I tried to muster the courage to give it a try. Long story short I just glued the bridge on.... and I'm terrified. The earliest I think a should take the clamps off is Saturday afternoon. I'll bump the thread either way but the success rate of "I saw it on You Tube and went to Harbor Freight" can't be that good.
Old 03-28-2023, 01:03 PM

Default a thought

What glue? Overnight is a common dwell time for Titebond, and that's how long I wait. For me, it means 12 hours, given my shop schedule. Epoxies seem to be roughly the same. Glue packaging tends to have suggested wait/clamp time before applying a load to the glue joints.
Old 03-28-2023, 04:10 PM

IT WORKED! I was worried the intonation would be off so I cut the saddle slot to almost 3mm. My best tuner is a clip on Snark but I managed to get every string to read good at the 12th fret. Even playing a dbl. drop D D shape at the 14th fret sounds pure.

It looks fine. Everybody here could look at it and know the bridge had been off, but man my heart sank when it first came off. Now I'm happy.

A HUGE thank you to AGF and you guys that make it what it is. There were a bunch of traps that would have been the end of this guitar if not for learning from you guys.

THANKS!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair