The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-18-2023, 03:48 PM

Default ISO Info on old Saga acoustic

Hey guys-

I’m wondering if anyone is familiar with this particular model of vintage Saga acoustic (WSA-77A). My search on the forum and on Google came up dry. Were these old Sagas any good? Wondering if it’s worth a drive…

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t25t20h01i...%20PM.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k6c57z84iu...%20PM.jpg?dl=0

Thanks in advance.
-Mike

Last edited by mwhitney; 03-18-2023 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Amending image links
Old 03-18-2023, 04:33 PM

Saga were mid/lower level Japanese knockoffs. They show up more in Canada but were also sold in the States. I don't know that model but it will almost certainly be plywood and built heavy. I personally wouldn't go out of my way to look at one.
Old 03-18-2023, 04:49 PM

Thanks Osage - good to know. The closest reference I could find was a HD-308 on Reverb ranging from 1200-1700 USD. It makes me curious why they’re fetching so much (granted, asking and selling price are two different things.).

I sent an email to Saga to see if they can provide any specs. If they do, I’ll share it here, should it help someone else down the road.

Appreciate the reply.
Old 03-18-2023, 05:20 PM

Yeah, asking prices often have nothing to do with reality.

I don't believe that the current company called Saga had nothing to do with the guitar in your photos. The one you posted was imported to North America and sold by jobbers to smaller department stores. You could get Saga branded Les Paul knock offs as well as plenty of others. Since they usually show up in Canada, I've wondered if the Canadian rock band Saga took their name from them.
Old 03-18-2023, 06:27 PM

Interesting. Good to have a bit of a back-story on them and to learn that Saga of today may have had little-to-no connection.

As an aside, I recently had a Cortez, Martin copy in the shop that played beautifully. 3-piece back rosewood back, spruce top, abalone details. I was also given a 70s ‘Mansfield’ Hummingbird copy that sounds and plays great.

Like anything, sometimes you have to ignore what’s on the headstock. In regards to this Saga, you lost me at ‘plywood’ (if that’s accurate). Thanks again for the info!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, saga, wsa