The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-04-2023, 11:34 AM

Default Can Anybody Make Me A 2" Nut & Wide String Spacing @ RH Acoustic @ Reasonable $?

I'm looking for a 2" nut acoustic guitar, and none are available commercially.

I am 6'6" and have giant hands and really long fingers (not fat ones, though).

I'm a Jazz saxophonist of 49 years (my main axe) and a keyboardist (my double, no flute or clarinet for me, too small) of 53 years.

I've played guitar for about a year and a half. One showed up during Covid. I said ""why not"? Also Jazz. I don't sing, so not singer / songwriter simple chords. Tricky Jazz chords and I prefer not to use a pick, so wider @ RH is better.

I just bought a 7 string Eastman Jazz Elite Archtop that's being converted to a 6 string by the seller, a luthier. I don't have the instrument yet. It has a 2.1" nut and because it's a 7 string, will also yield over 60 mm string spacing at the RH play area (65-66 mm would be ideal, but it won't go that big, probably 62 mm tops, which should be enough for fingerstyle Jazz playing).

I also want a steel string acoustic guitar (I have a Yamaha silent electric nylon Classical guitar with 2" nut, great size for LF but no string spread for RH). So, I'm not looking for another nylon / Classical guitar.

I couldn't find any 7 string acoustic guitars that have a larger RH string spread, so I also just bought (and will probably return unless its fretboard / neck can be made larger, which is apparently strongly disfavored in the luthier community), a Seagull Concert acoustic. It's the concert size version of their popular S6. 1.8" nut but only 49 mm at RH play area (directly over the round hole in the body). Other than size, I really like the guitar and the sound it produces, its quality, etc.

Does anybody here have any interest in such a project? Or in widening the Seagull's fretboard / neck?

I'm in Los Angeles until June, then back to the East coast and Europe.

Thanks,

- Jeff Newton.
Old 01-04-2023, 11:48 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Jeff. Sounds like it might be an interesting project. Feel free to contact me at [email protected] if you’d like to discuss it further.
Old 01-04-2023, 11:59 AM

Hi Andy -

I sent you a message on your website.

Thanks,

- Jeff Newton
Old 01-08-2023, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Emerald guitars make a 2" nut classical as one of their options. My guess is there is a good chance they could make that in a steel string as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
2: nut, acoustic, large hands, wide neck, wide string spacing