The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-25-2022, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroad Bum View Post
You just need a setup, friend. That guitar is an absolute killer!
Ditto, I have an FGX5. I have the Martin Retro strings in 12 gauge on it. Took it to be setup and the luthier did a small adjustment to the neck relief and said it needed nothing else, it was a great guitar. It does sound and play great and so will yours after a good setup.
Old 10-26-2022, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogsNRoses View Post
…You can also buy a compensated saddle instead of changing the one you have.
Hi HnR…

One needs to realize compensated saddles are often 'generic', and not specific to a given instrument.

Having taught for 40 years, and helping students with setting up their guitars, compensated saddles are often helpful…they are not magic.

The 'technical detail' one needs to know is the radius of the fingerboard. And if ordering one, I'd go for bone (as opposed to plastic or man-made materials like Tusq or Micarta).

After checking/fixing nut slot depth, and adjusting the truss rod, the saddle will likely still need to have the bottom sanded to achieve proper height.

If you go to Amazon, and type in 'Fully Compensated Acoustic Guitar Saddle' there are lots of options available.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-26-2022, 11:26 AM

Keep in mind the width (not length or height) of the FGX5 saddle is greater than that of most other Yamaha acoustic guitar saddles.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
intonation, yamaha, yamaha fgx5