The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-15-2021, 06:29 PM

I'm very curious how cedar of Lebanon sounds as a top wood. It's a strikingly beautiful tree, often seen in churchyards, that can grow pretty chunky, and down the years I've wondered about its potential use as a tonewood
Old 02-20-2021, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Wow--2 very lovely guitars.

Congrats on your shipping success and the delivery of these 2 beautiful guitars to their talented owners!

And thanks for taking us along on the ride!
Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Rosie, thank you so much for bringing us along on this journey! I thoroughly enjoyed each update, and getting to see the end product in Martin's hands. Absolutely stunning work all around! Well done!
I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshruss View Post
Awesome guitars Rosie, looking forward to next year!
Thank you Russ! As am I

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Thanks for sharing all this Rosie! Just a great story in the midst of two great guitars!
That piece of mahogany on Martin's guitar is the most beautiful I've ever seen!!!
Best wishes,
Fred
Thanks Fred, yes it is pretty special isn't it! Cheers for following along.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
The Mahogany is stunning, and I really like the looks of the Fretboard on the 12 fret, too! Both are SWEET. And the story is very cool!

Thanks for sharing, Rosie!

Paul
Thanks Paul! I'm pleased you like the look of both. Labernum is a really wonderful fingerboard and bridge material - got a natural waxy feel to it which really works nicely under the fingers. Thank you for following along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Thank you for sharing this build thread. I have been quietly following along until now. I first heard of your work through Michael Watts after meeting Michael a couple of years ago, he is a huge fan. I enjoyed your interview with Michael as well and your appreciation for all English woods and willingness to try new woods (non-traditional) in your builds.

These two guitars are absolutely beautiful. I think it is great that both you and Rory had projects going at the same time for Martin. I know my Taran is amazing and I would love to get a Turnstone into my hands at some point.

It is interesting to me on Terry's guitar, the English Cherry bears no resemblance in terms of grain or color to the Cherry trees in the US. Also that Labernum is a wood I am unfamiliar with, but wow is that stunning.

Thanks again for taking the time to do this thread, the AGF is better off because of it.

Tom
Thanks so much for your kind words Tom. Rory is a great friend and it was a privielge to follow his lead working with Martin too. It would be great to have the opportunity to show you my work at some point in the future.

Yes the cherry is interesting and funny that you say it looks so different to the US variety - I'll have to look it up to see what it looks like. I bought these particular sets off a clasical guitar maker here in the UK called Kevin Aram. He fells and mills his own sets. It's even unusual here for it to be so pinky. I have a number of other sets from another luthier supplier that are more of a golden colour but still beautiful. My parents had a cherry tree in their garden which I used to climb as a kid, it had to come down about a year ago due to disease and I jumped right on getting that timber - which is now currently drying out in my garden to be turned into sets in the future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisczech View Post
I'm very curious how cedar of Lebanon sounds as a top wood. It's a strikingly beautiful tree, often seen in churchyards, that can grow pretty chunky, and down the years I've wondered about its potential use as a tonewood
I think it's a very lovely top wood. Michael Watts recently reviewed a TGE model with that soundboard for Guitar Magazine and you can see that review and an accompanying demo video here -

https://guitar.com/review/acoustic-g...r-company-tge/
Old 02-20-2021, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Rosie, this is what a nice quartersawn set of North American Black Cherry looks like....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
mahogany, martin simpson, moon spruce, turnstone guitars, uk luthier