The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-30-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheyjeff View Post
A real lover of Santa Cruz guitars here. Lucky to have 2 and am seriously thinking about another. If you are anywhere near me, welcome to come by on a decent day and see what you think (they are not for sale, but you can learn a ton playing them). We can play outside. Some on the forum have found the occasional SC that didn’t grab them. I don’t have that great an ear, or a load of musical talent, however, I have never found one I thought wasn’t among the better guitars I’ve had the opportunity to play. As far as which model, I give first consideration to the guitar model(s) I like best and compliment what I already am lucky enough to have.

Jeff
What a nice offer Jeff thank you. I'm in Fla.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Santa Cruz dreads are dimensionally smaller than a comparable Martin (1/4" shallower) so I wouldn't be surprised to find the Vintage Southerner a notch smaller than a J-45 also (but can't say with certainty).
I have heard that the Vintage Southern was a touch smaller. I have never looked at it myself as far as the math is concerned. At one time I made a deal to buy one and then realized it has a normal sized nut. I have gotten used to wide nuts so I backed out of the deal. My point being that I am sold on them.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-30-2020, 10:14 AM

SRQ,
I also live in Fl.
I just sent you a PM.

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...
Old 10-30-2020, 11:05 AM

Santa Cruz makes great guitars, no question. Best if you can try some to make sure you get one that's great for you in particular bec they make a wide array of types and tones. I've purchased four and sold three over the last several years and learned a lot in the process.

000-29..sold that one bec for me it wasn't a boisterous-enough strummer and I prefer wider string spacing at the bridge for fingerstyle. It was sweet sounding but a little reserved for my preferences.

OM custom Adi/Hog w/cutaway..sounded great and was plenty loud but felt tight maybe due to Adi top however the guy I sold it to loved it.

Another OM custom Italian Spruce/Hog..One of the most beautiful guitars I've seen but I sold it bec it just didn't have the tone to suit my personal preferences. It wasn't a very warm sounding guitar but was incredibly articulate and in the right hands would be a fantastic fingerstyle guitar.

I bought all three of those used and pretty much broke even in the learning process and it was fun. I learned what I was really after and ordered a custom SCGC VS with std tonewoods Sitka/Hog but with 1-3/4 nut and 2-5/16 bridge spacing and a couple cosmetic upgrades and this one feels like my guitar. Articulate enough for fingerstyle, great strummer, warm, and pretty loud but with a tonal balance that's easy to sing over. Certainly the best all-rounder of the ones I've owned. I also learned in my journey that a back 'burst including neck and headstock from SCGC is awesome. (Not that anyone can see it while playing!)
Old 10-30-2020, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizango1 View Post
I learned what I was really after and ordered a custom SCGC VS with std tonewoods Sitka/Hog but with 1-3/4 nut and 2-5/16 bridge spacing and a couple cosmetic upgrades and this one feels like my guitar. Articulate enough for fingerstyle, great strummer, warm, and pretty loud but with a tonal balance that's easy to sing over. Certainly the best all-rounder of the ones I've owned.
Really gorgeous guitar there, and I commend you for going with 1 3/4 nut and 2 5/16 spacing on the VS. If I have one major criticism, it is that the standard C shaped neck on a 1 11/16 nut comes default on the VS is entirely too cramped. The E-to-e spacing is likewise very tight.

The bigger neck is absolutely the way to go!
Old 10-30-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
If I have one major criticism, it is that the standard C shaped neck on a 1 11/16 nut comes default on the VS is entirely too cramped.
Nice to see the VS getting some love. Agree that the nut width is a bit cramped; the 1 3/4 would be nice. On the other hand, I find the narrower nut to play a bit faster.

Bizango -- That's a good looking VS.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
Nice to see the VS getting some love. Agree that the nut width is a bit cramped; the 1 3/4 would be nice. On the other hand, I find the narrower nut to play a bit faster.

Bizango -- That's a good looking VS.
I also happen to live in Santa Cruz so I got to visit it several times during the build and that was super cool.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizango1 View Post
Santa Cruz makes great guitars, no question. Best if you can try some to make sure you get one that's great for you in particular bec they make a wide array of types and tones. I've purchased four and sold three over the last several years and learned a lot in the process.

000-29..sold that one bec for me it wasn't a boisterous-enough strummer and I prefer wider string spacing at the bridge for fingerstyle. It was sweet sounding but a little reserved for my preferences.

OM custom Adi/Hog w/cutaway..sounded great and was plenty loud but felt tight maybe due to Adi top however the guy I sold it to loved it.

Another OM custom Italian Spruce/Hog..One of the most beautiful guitars I've seen but I sold it bec it just didn't have the tone to suit my personal preferences. It wasn't a very warm sounding guitar but was incredibly articulate and in the right hands would be a fantastic fingerstyle guitar.

I bought all three of those used and pretty much broke even in the learning process and it was fun. I learned what I was really after and ordered a custom SCGC VS with std tonewoods Sitka/Hog but with 1-3/4 nut and 2-5/16 bridge spacing and a couple cosmetic upgrades and this one feels like my guitar. Articulate enough for fingerstyle, great strummer, warm, and pretty loud but with a tonal balance that's easy to sing over. Certainly the best all-rounder of the ones I've owned. I also learned in my journey that a back 'burst including neck and headstock from SCGC is awesome. (Not that anyone can see it while playing!)
....love the full body burst on that VS......I have a full body burst on my Maple Firefly.....also a real looker and surprisingly versatile for a wee guitar...
Old 10-30-2020, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organic Sounds Select Guitars View Post
Hi SRQ,

The 1929 00 does surprisingly well with a flat pick and handles light strumming just fine. However, for heavier strumming and overall versatility, you might want to lean more towards the H-13 or OM, OM/PW, OM Grand or any of the various dreadnought models (square or slope shouldered).

Here is a video that I made recently with 5 Santa Cruz guitars - no H-13 in this group, but you can compare the 1929 00 with some other larger guitars. I hope its helpful.

Good luck with your choice!

Wow, Larry! Excellent demo!! Perfectly done, playing the exact same lick with seamless integration recorded directly with a quality mic. You can REALLY hear the subtle differences of each of these guitars including the tonal changes between body size and wood types. This should be the standard for guitar video demo comparisons. Well done!

I have owned several Santa Cruz guitars including three 00 models, two of which were 00 1929 models. They were excellent guitars, all. For singer/songwriter strummer and finger picker I'd go with a larger guitar as well as most have indicated. Although Larry's excellent video did show that the 00 1929 hangs really quite well for its small size.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
h 13, mahogany, santa cruz 1929