The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Default Fredholm D-18

***SOLD***
Up for sale is a fantastic D-18-style guitar built by Swedish luthier Thomas Fredholm. Fredholm is perhaps best known because of Dan Tyminski, who played a D-18 (very similar to this one) as well as a Fredholm D-28 for a number of years on stage with Alison Krauss & Union Station. Thomas has also built guitars for Zac Brown, Steve Earle, and many other stars.
Check out the video demo here:

https://youtu.be/GPdOXjz_BRY

This particular dreadnought has a European spruce top and mahogany back and sides. It’s got a full-feeling neck and is incredibly responsive and loud. 1 11/16” nut width, 2 ¼” saddle spacing, gold Waverly tuners. In the right light, you can see some pick scratches where the pickguard would be. There are various minor scratches elsewhere due to the sensitive French Polish finish, which is very thin and enhances the instrument’s responsiveness.

According to George Gruhn, if ordered new, this guitar would cost more than $7k. Asking $3,900 + shipping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front.jpg (51.4 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg Top.jpg (80.3 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg Back.jpg (99.3 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg Headstock.jpg (44.8 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg Headstock Back.jpg (45.7 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg Saddle.jpg (35.0 KB, 249 views)

Last edited by forrestoconnor; 09-03-2020 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:36 AM

Default I think..

I think I played this guitar when it was at Gruhn's. EVerytime I go there I walk back in the back left corner before I go. I usually find something north of $5000 and play it...just to let me see that ALL expensive guitars are not good. For some reason I take joy in that...(it's crazy..I know)..that day, a Saturday I picked this guitar....when I hit a G chord...every person in the store within 50 feet of me..stopped and looked at me....it literally stopped shopping for about 5 minutes as folks walker over and wanted to know what kind of guitar it was. The salesman told me they get folks in the store all the time who build guitars. When they play them...they are no better than most regular production guitars and they want more money for them..BUT..he said when this guy came it...he blew them away!!...it's a great guitar!!!
Old 08-26-2020, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

That's very cool! Something similar happened to me when I first played it at Gruhn's -- it sounds huge and definitely fills a room. Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-26-2020, 09:10 AM

I currently have the Fredholm D18 owned by Dan Timynski.

Good loud guitar with top notch finish and i really like the chunky neck.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Nice! I remember seeing the listing for Dan's Fredholm. His Fredholm D-28 just sold at Gruhn's about a month ago -- it didn't last long after it was listed there!
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Tags
d-18, dreadnought, european, fredholm, mahogany