The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-16-2020, 09:47 AM

Default White Mark On Finish Advice?

Hi,

I stupidly got some superglue on the body of a cheap old guitar of mine, and without thinking I wiped it with a cloth which just spread it further.. Nice.

It left a white stain on the body which is visible depending how you angle the guitar. I did a little research and found a few suggestions (wether good or bad I don't know.) I tried using a cue tip with lighter fluid to see if it would take off the glue, and also tried taping around the mark and using fine grades of wet and dry sandpaper. Neither of these things made much difference at all to the mark!

If anyone has any suggestions for dealing with or covering the mark? I very well may have damaged it, but I'd like to try salvaging it if possible. Not too fussed with how it turns out as it's not a precious guitar and the damage is purely cosmetic.
Cheers in advance, pictures seen via link below

https://imgur.com/a/SfwteZ0

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-28-2020 at 08:34 AM. Reason: No profanity, please.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:16 AM

Follow the methods from scraping to polishing in the link if all CA is above the surface. If some areas are below the original finish, you'll need to fill first with more CA or lacquer (can't tell what type of finish it is).

https://www.stewmac.com/articles-and...-les-paul.html
Old 06-18-2020, 08:27 AM

Hi Jon,

Thank you for your help.
It does not seem to be above the finish, and the area feels smoother than the unaffected surrounding areas since my previous efforts. It is as if the finish has absorbed the superglue and stained.

Should I use the scraping and sanding methods in the link until the discoloration is gone, and then fill?
Old 06-18-2020, 09:00 AM

Default A thought

First: mask off the direct area of the problem. Otherwise the postage stamp of a problem turns into a postcard.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:57 AM

Can you let us know brand of guitar, i suspect vee the photo its a poly finish.

If its a poly finish then it has not melted in, its just super thin over the surface, if this is the case, 1000grit wet and dry it clean, buff to finish

If its another type of finish then we can adjust repair process to suit

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 06-20-2020, 12:01 PM

Is it polyester? That is common on Asian guitars. Polyester finishes are immune to acetone, which will dissolve super glue.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:24 AM

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Steve in response to your question, it's a 70s Japanese Jedson F907
https://jedsonguitars.net/f907

I tried a fine grit of wet and dry paper the day it happened but it didn't seem to do a whole lot. Possibly a small improvement. That area is now smoother in texture than the surrounding finish
Old 06-28-2020, 05:26 AM

Thanks John. I'm not entirely sure - is there a way I can deduce the type of finish? I didn't have any acetone but tried lighter fluid which I have been told is useful for similar situations, but it didn't do the trick. Will be sure to pick up some acetone soon and let you know if it helps
Old 06-28-2020, 08:26 AM

Try the acetone in an obscure place. If the finish is not polyester, it will instantly be evident.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta30 View Post
I tried a fine grit of wet and dry paper the day it happened but it didn't seem to do a whole lot. Possibly a small improvement. That area is now smoother in texture than the surrounding finish
The texture is not an issue, that will blend out in a season or two as the wood expands and contracts.

I could not identify what finish your guitar is, it is important to know, maybe consult a local luthier, using the wrong stuff will damage the finish, hence the test in an obscure location mentioned above

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 06-28-2020, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Masking tape off the the edges as suggested-
Super glue dries very hard. So it will require more pressure to sand through than the nearly zero pressure required to sand through a guitar finish.
Microfiber mesh kits might be perfect.
The kits come with progressive pads from coarse to very fine.
The finest last three are all I would use- The last 2 are polishing level grit.
Test it somewhere discreet before digging in though. a heavy hand is not what you want here.

Remember as spine surgeons have said “the enemy of “good” is “better”.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:56 AM

The problem with fine sanding a 1970's Japanese polyester finish is that it is too easy to go through the thin gloss layer. Many of those instruments have a heavy sealer coat underneath that will not polish to a full gloss.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:49 PM

I got in touch with the owner of the unofficial Jedson website. Turns out he also owns an F907. He said he can safely assume it's a nitro finish. First nitro guitar I've owned.

Could anyone recommend steps forward?
Appreciate all of your input, cheers
Old 06-29-2020, 04:53 PM

I would be shocked if a 1970's Japanese guitar actually has nitro. Any finish checking?
If it is nitro, you have no choice but to wet sand and polish. The good thing is that it won't have the dull undercoat that is so common on polyester finishes from this era. The bad thing is that if not carefully done, you will cut through the finish and have bare spots.
Besides testing with acetone, there is another clue that it is polyester. Sanding polyester often will release a sickly sweet smell.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta30 View Post
I got in touch with the owner of the unofficial Jedson website. Turns out he also owns an F907. He said he can safely assume it's a nitro finish. First nitro guitar I've owned.

Could anyone recommend steps forward?
Appreciate all of your input, cheers
Makes sense that it had melted into the existing finish.

Wet sand it out with 1000grit and water with detergent, after its gone light buffing or micro mesh

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
finish, glue, mark, repair, stain