The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-28-2019, 02:51 AM

Default Fishman neo d pick up output is way to quite?

I have the fishman neo d single coil which sounds nice on my weissenborn. My only gripe is the output is rediculously low. When plugged into my loudbox mini amp I really have to crank the volume. I have played it through my behringer acoustic pre amp and it doesn’t make the pick up louder it just makes it sound better.

What do you use to boost the volume of this passive single coil acoustic pick up?
Old 04-28-2019, 04:09 AM
Charter Member

Sounds like you need an outboard pre-amp. Plenty of examples on the market.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 04-29-2019, 08:17 PM

I have the Neo D passive humbucker in one of my guitars and us either my LR Baggs Venue DI or my Boss VE-8 pedal. Both act as an outboard pre amp and boost the volume to a useable level. BTW, I like the sound of the pickup.

2004 Taylor 712 Baggs Anthem SL
2019 Taylor 717e Builders Edition ES2
2016 Huss & Dalton TOM-M w/Baggs M-1
2019 Martin Custom Shop OMCE Blaze Burst w/Fishman Matrix Enhance
2019 Martin OM28 Modern Deluxe
Old 05-09-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosedog View Post
I have the Neo D passive humbucker in one of my guitars and us either my LR Baggs Venue DI or my Boss VE-8 pedal. Both act as an outboard pre amp and boost the volume to a useable level. BTW, I like the sound of the pickup.
thanks for the reply. isn't the Behringer acoustic pre amp an outboard preamp though? maybe the output of the pick up is so low that I have to put it through a PA system for a good volume as aposed to my fishman loudbox mini amp which I think is about 80 watts. (not that wattage speaks much about the volume of amps these days) and yea I like the sound of the fishman neo D as well
Old 05-09-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisme View Post
thanks for the reply. isn't the Behringer acoustic pre amp an outboard preamp though? maybe the output of the pick up is so low that I have to put it through a PA system for a good volume as aposed to my fishman loudbox mini amp which I think is about 80 watts. (not that wattage speaks much about the volume of amps these days) and yea I like the sound of the fishman neo D as well
most all passive pickups benefit from a preamp boost, that's why fishman (and others) make so many outboard preamps!
Old 05-10-2019, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
most all passive pickups benefit from a preamp boost, that's why fishman (and others) make so many outboard preamps!
I used my boss ge7 ex and that works perfectly. I feel all pick ups I try need to have eq through an amp even my k&k pick ups sound horrible straight through an acoustic amp but sound exelent once eq
Old 05-10-2019, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisme View Post
I used my boss ge7 ex and that works perfectly. I feel all pick ups I try need to have eq through an amp even my k&k pick ups sound horrible straight through an acoustic amp but sound exelent once eq
Carrying a GE-7 as a primary or backup pedal is just plain a good idea. They run around 100 hours on a 9 volt battery too. The Behringer clone is not as robustly constructed but works similarly for $25.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
acoustic, fishman, neo d, pre amp, volume