The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-03-2015, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Talk to Alan Carruth. He builds steel string and nylon string guitars starting at $4500. He has around 40 years of experience. I don't play nylon string guitars, but I do know the 12 fret 000 he built for me is fantastic.
I've had the great pleasure and privilege of playing Chuck's guitar built by Alan Carruth, briefly, on one or two occasions. Chuck is not exaggerating. Actually, he's not praising it effusively enough, I'd say! It is a fabulous instrument. This is the only Carruth guitar I've ever encountered, and it is a steel string, but I have little doubt that a classical built by this builder would probably be fabulous too.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:25 AM

Another excellent classical guitar builder with reasonable prices is Johnny Walker in Oklahoma. I owned one of his guitars for a couple years and it was a match for anything else I've played.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:26 AM

It's possible David LaPlante could help you with this.

I have no clue what he charges for a new guitar. I can't tell if his guitars fit your requirements.

However, I am fortunate to own one of his guitars through happy circumstance. It was technically "used", and therefore fit my budget, but it is in MINT condition.

David hears of interesting instruments through his personal connections, and he may know of one which might work for you.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
Poppycock.
An interesting reply. Do you have a list of luthiers who build bespoke guitars in what we might call the "affordable" range, say £2000 or so? Because if you do I, for one, would be interested to know of them so that I could place an order.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Scott View Post
An interesting reply. Do you have a list of luthiers who build bespoke guitars in what we might call the "affordable" range, say £2000 or so? Because if you do I, for one, would be interested to know of them so that I could place an order.
I just mentioned Johnny Walker above. His site only lists a price for his Grand Concert model ($4k), but if I recall I believe his Concert model was closer to $3k.

I believe Francisco Navarro's guitars are available for below that price point as well.

There are a couple other makers that less-ornamented versions of their guitars for somewhere around $2k -- if I can recall the names I'll add them here.

And of course, there are plenty of very nicely cared for second-hand guitars available at a considerable discount compared to the original selling price.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I just mentioned Johnny Walker above. His site only lists a price for his Grand Concert model ($4k), but if I recall I believe his Concert model was closer to $3k.

I believe Francisco Navarro's guitars are available for below that price point as well.

There are a couple other makers that less-ornamented versions of their guitars for somewhere around $2k -- if I can recall the names I'll add them here.

And of course, there are plenty of very nicely cared for second-hand guitars available at a considerable discount compared to the original selling price.
Yes, I'm sorry but in the time it took for my post to come up the synchronization got a bit lost in the ether...
I suppose the best way for the OP to go would be the second hand market. There are some reasonable offers out there, it's just finding them.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:

Yes, I saw your earlier response but the ammount of time my message spent in the "ether" put us a bit out of synch. I agree that the best way for the OP to go could well be the second hand route. There are bargains to be had, it's just finding them.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Scott View Post
Yes, I'm sorry but in the time it took for my post to come up the synchronization got a bit lost in the ether...
I suppose the best way for the OP to go would be the second hand market. There are some reasonable offers out there, it's just finding them.
Jeff Sigurdson was one of the names I was trying to remember. His student model guitars start at $2000.

http://www.sigurdsonguitars.com/student.html
Old 12-03-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:

Yes, I saw your reply but the ammount of time my comment spent "in the ether" put us a bit out of synch. But I do agree that the second hand market is a good way for the OP to go, there are bargains out there. It's just finding them.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:36 PM

Sorry again. I seem to be all over the place now! I won't post anything else for a few hours. I'll re-read the post tomorrow.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:43 AM

Joseph Redman of josredguitars.com makes a student model for $2000.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Poppycock.
I agree, although I might have been less polite...

There is a ton of choice 5K and under for sole luthier classicals; you just have to know where to look.

OP, see my PM regarding a tremendous option for a guitar well under 5K (no affiliation).

Cheers,
Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
luthier, nylon acoustic