The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2015, 11:16 AM

Default Excellent Customer Care

Dave's Woodstock Music in Chicago has become one of my favorite dealers. Why? Because Dave himself makes such a great effort to ensure that I feel taken care of. He does this through prompt responses to my calls and emails. He also has contacted his suppliers by phone to help me find what I am after. His pricing is as good as it gets.

So I highly recommend you give him a try. He won't disappoint. I did not receive any favor from him to write this.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:00 PM

I certainly hope he gave you outstanding prices.

Seriously, though, I have some shops that give me good deals, some that give me GREAT deals. I prefer a bit less schmoozing and hundreds more in my pocket.

There there's the guy who sold a beautiful brand new 324ce-K FLTD for $1375 with tax, out the door. That was beyond my own $1480 deal, and far better than everyone else's "we can't go lower than $1799" BS.

If I'd known about Mr. $1375, I'd have bought from him. I have less ego and money than to pay any more for a few minutes of a good feeling.

Last edited by M19; 03-08-2015 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Inappropriate
Old 03-08-2015, 03:49 PM

So what you're saying then, Taylor Fanboy, is that you find good service to be irrelevant, all that matters to you is price.

I'd be lying if I said that price is unimportant to me, but dealing with an honest dealer who cares about his or her customers is a big part of the package, too.

So thanks for sharing that, Doug - it's nice to hear about dealers dedicated to the best possible service, however unimportant that might be to some folks.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-08-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
So what you're saying then, Taylor Fanboy, is that you find good service to be irrelevant, all that matters to you is price.

I'd be lying if I said that price is unimportant to me, but dealing with an honest dealer who cares about his or her customers is a big part of the package, too.

So thanks for sharing that, Doug - it's nice to hear about dealers dedicated to the best possible service, however unimportant that might be to some folks.

Wade Hampton Miller
+100
As usual, dead on.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:55 PM

I work as a teacher at Dave's Woodstock music. Dave knows his guitars and always handles his customers with professionalism and I'm not just saying that because I work there, it's true.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Agree with Wade on this.

And "schmoozing" is not the same as good customer service, and if one has that kind of short sighted view, you might as well do GC price matching, so you at least get to try something before you buy. Or if price really is the main driver, maybe just straight internet shopping.

To that point, good customer service is not free, so it is difficult to get both the absolute lowest price and great customer service (though you can get close, and that's what I prefer). This has long term cost benefits, from preventing the wrong sale, to fixing instruments and doing good trade ins for repeat buyers -- which are not benefits usually extended to price shoppers who rarely value customer service.

Good customer service is focused on long term customer relationships and retention through customer satisfaction, buying advice up front (even at the cost of a lower price or lost sale) to long term service. It's building 2-way trust, which for the buyer can lead to better deals, and for the seller more sales -- not just repeat business from customer A, but all the customers they refer.

The good news is we all have choices.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Last edited by pjroberts; 03-08-2015 at 09:17 PM. Reason: fixed some typos, clarification
Old 03-08-2015, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

My local Ace Hardware was able to provide me with an obscure battery for a 28-year old watch, right before their regular Saturday closing time at 5:00pm.
A traditional hardware store, with traditional hours. Bravo.

There was another time when I wandered in there with an obscure halogen bulb from my range hood. I was directed to the exact hook on the display for a replacement, without so much as a blink.

Guess what? I'd much rather shop there and pay a bit more, than patronize the big boxes.

Good service matters, and is worth paying a premium for.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-08-2015, 07:05 PM

oooooops! .........Mike

Last edited by 00-28; 03-08-2015 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Sorry, double post
Old 03-08-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:

Wade Hampton Miller
I never read into Taylor Fanboy's comment that good service is irrelevant. Lighten up a little. Are the days still too short up there in the frozen land? I have always gone for the best price and never had a problem with not getting outstanding service. You can have both. .........Mike
Old 03-08-2015, 07:57 PM

Oh, I agree that we can have both. But I read that post the way I read it, and going back and re-reading it again I still interpret it the same way. Evidently a number of other folks interpreted it the same way I did.

As for sunshine and warmth, we've got a lot of both in Alaska these days, Mike. We've had a disgustingly warm and clear winter, with so little snow that the Iditarod Sled Dog race had to be re-routed from Anchorage to Fairbanks this year, for the first time in my memory.

You folks in the Lower 48 got our winter for the second year in a row. We want it back!

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-08-2015, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

I would pay a little more for great services but for repeat business i would want a deal on high end stuff.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
amp, customer, dave's, guitar, service