The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-20-2014, 01:33 PM

Default Ceo-7/000-18ge

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7ent7 View Post
Has anyone played both?

I would really value your input on differences in sound, richness, feel and vibe

I'm considering one of these primarily for Keb Mo style, bare fingered thumping alternate bass country blues. Also some country and modern fingerpicking and strumming.

I realize Gibson L-00 style guitars are what I should be looking for, but I find many of the reissues lacking in tone and often prefer the richness and authority of the vintage Martin tone (vintage spec'd OMs and 000s)

From what I've read the CEO-7 is a good option for me, but I've heard so many great things about the 000-18GE.. If it is significantly louder, more responsive and has the bass thump I need, it could be the one, and it's probably a bit more versatile?

(Another option is a OM-28V or Marquis, I see-saw between Mahogany and Rosewood

Unfortunately I can't test these guitars in my country, they aren't in stock here anywhere.
Having owned a CEO-7 for a year and having played many 000-18GE's during my time working at Mandolin Brothers, I'd have to go with the CEO-7. When you factor in the price, it's a clear winner. You're going to have to take the wide neck and string spacing into consideration along with the "modified V" shape. This is tricky if you've never had one in your hands. I also own a 00-18V which has a similar neck shape and a 1 3/4 nut width but the spacing at the saddle is 1/4" narrower and this makes a considerable difference.

As others have pointed out, you can go over to the "UMGF" and read page after page of praise for the CEO-7. The fact that Martin has made over 500 speaks for itself.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisser View Post
Having owned a CEO-7 for a year and having played many 000-18GE's during my time working at Mandolin Brothers, I'd have to go with the CEO-7. When you factor in the price, it's a clear winner. You're going to have to take the wide neck and string spacing into consideration along with the "modified V" shape. This is tricky if you've never had one in your hands. I also own a 00-18V which has a similar neck shape and a 1 3/4 nut width but the spacing at the saddle is 1/4" narrower and this makes a considerable difference.

As others have pointed out, you can go over to the "UMGF" and read page after page of praise for the CEO-7. The fact that Martin has made over 500 speaks for itself.
Yeah that wide neck did throw me off at first. I was asking the salesman about it and he seemed to think it was the same width as the 000-18, but I could tell right away. I pulled the specs up on my phone and sure enough it's 1/8" wider at the 12th fret than the 000-18.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallery View Post
...The CEO-7 is the guitar that I want, but the 000-18 is the guitar I need... If that makes any sense. The 000-18 sounded like it would cover all my bases while the CEO-7 is best at what I enjoy most...
I think you just answered your question.

Get the guitar you want, and that is best at what you enjoy the most. You'll spend most of your time with any guitar doing the things you like to do. And the CEO-7 will be plenty good for all the other stuff you won't be doing as often because it's not what you enjoy as much.

If your likes and desires change over time, then you can get hold of a 000-18GE. You can wait until it's time for that one.
My guitars include Gibsons, Martins, Fenders, and others
Old 11-20-2014, 05:45 PM

I have both and like 'em equally. They are like cousins with some differences as noted.

Changing it to "and" instead of "vs." makes it a lot easier!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
000-18ge, ceo-7