The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-26-2013, 06:22 AM

Very good question OP! I've struggled with that for years. I had a K&K Trinity system (dual source) and was not fully happy with my strumming sound although I strum quite lightly. I also had a feedback problem. I tried many different things (change preamps, mixing desk settings, etc.) but the problem remained.

Now I have a Baggs M80. Less prone to feedback but the strumming sound is not really "acoustic" even with frequency adjustment. I feel this is the "best" solution for me now though since if you accept to hear your acoustic guitar sounds halfway electric then it's acceptable.

But I must say I'm not satisfied with my strumming sound and have never been. I wish I could come much closer to the strumming sound I get in a recording studio. I know the constraints are quite different but there should be a way...
Old 10-26-2013, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

Over the years, I've never tried a Sunrise magnetic pickup in any of my guitars and I'd like to know how does the Taylor Expression System (latest ES Version 3 magnetic-based) amplified tone compare to the Sunrise tone? Thanks.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-26-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tochiro View Post
Very good question OP! I've struggled with that for years. I had a K&K Trinity system (dual source) and was not fully happy with my strumming sound although I strum quite lightly. I also had a feedback problem. I tried many different things (change preamps, mixing desk settings, etc.) but the problem remained.

Now I have a Baggs M80. Less prone to feedback but the strumming sound is not really "acoustic" even with frequency adjustment. I feel this is the "best" solution for me now though since if you accept to hear your acoustic guitar sounds halfway electric then it's acceptable.

But I must say I'm not satisfied with my strumming sound and have never been. I wish I could come much closer to the strumming sound I get in a recording studio. I know the constraints are quite different but there should be a way...
I'm curious as to how well the Baggs Lyric handles live strumming. Since I don't have one yet, any users care to comment?
Old 10-26-2013, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
I'm curious as to how well the Baggs Lyric handles live strumming. Since I don't have one yet, any users care to comment?
The Lyric handles strumming very well although the overall tone is rather bright.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-27-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
The Lyric handles strumming very well although the overall tone is rather bright.

Regards,

SpruceTop
I agree. You can roll off the brightness easily though. I love mine.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:22 PM

I haven't tried the Lyric but it seems to have the nicest tone for strumming (going by the demos online). The only thing holding me back is the fact that it apparently lacks the bass that many of us have become used to with other pickup systems. I had thought of getting one and matching it with another pickup but magnetics just sound too electric for me and I don't ever want to use a UST again. That leaves a SBT. However, I am not really sure how much bass it would add to the signal and at this point, the results of matching the lyric with a SBT haven't really been fully tested. I know Doug Young matched the two together but I would like to hear more sound clips before going that route.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I haven't tried the Lyric but it seems to have the nicest tone for strumming (going by the demos online). The only thing holding me back is the fact that it apparently lacks the bass that many of us have become used to with other pickup systems. I had thought of getting one and matching it with another pickup but magnetics just sound too electric for me and I don't ever want to use a UST again. That leaves a SBT. However, I am not really sure how much bass it would add to the signal and at this point, the results of matching the lyric with a SBT haven't really been fully tested. I know Doug Young matched the two together but I would like to hear more sound clips before going that route.
The Lyric does lack bass compared to the exaggerated bass of a magnetic or UST pickup, however in my opinion, the bass it puts out is true to the guitar.
I personally think this is a good thing

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
amplified, live sound, recording technique, strumming