The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-08-2020, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
How would you determine whether to go with the D6-8 MkII or D6-58? Really interested in one of these, either as an alternative to my HK 608i, or an easier to operate replacement. I know there's the power difference, but really like the plain input from others who have used a product rather than just what the company itself says for recommendations. Love the 608i, but it's a lot of stuff to haul in for an acoustic solo gig and it would also be nice to have all controls onboard as opposed to having to run/setup the iPad too.
It does seem like the D6-58 is a newer product, and has slightly more power? But I can't be sure because they aren't available in most countries and their demo videos are very vague.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:47 AM

And also one question from me about the Elite Acoustics. Anyone tried A4-8 and compared to D6-8 MkII? what are the biggest difference in sound?

It seems in Norway its hard to get the MkII without paying almost twice the price of the MkII. Is the sound difference big? Im thinking of buying the A4-A since it on sale and I think it would sound nice with an acoustic Maton guitar and two vocals.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:54 AM

Default Portable PA for buksers

Not exactly, but I had an A4-8 and had EA convert it to the MKII. 40w to 80w certainly made a difference in the output. Haven’t played through the D6-8 to compare to though.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:56 AM

How did they convert it? And what did it cost? (did you ship it to them?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
Not exactly, but I had an A4-8 and had EA convert it to the MKII. 40w to 80w certainly made a difference in the output. Haven’t played through the D6-8 to compare to though.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
It does seem like the D6-58 is a newer product, and has slightly more power? But I can't be sure because they aren't available in most countries and their demo videos are very vague.
Documentation has been a bit difficult to find/verify from the start and I finally found dimensions and weight by opening up their owners manuals, information which could have easily been posted on their website.

Near as I can tell the D6-58 has 120 watts over the D6-8 MkII which has 80, and it's also got a 5.25" mid driver in addition to the 8" woofer and 1" soft dome tweeter.

D6-58: 15.30”WX13.1”Hx9.80” 30lbs.
D6-8 MkII: 10.90”L x 10.25”W x 16.40”H 28lbs.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 07-08-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farantouri View Post
How did they convert it? And what did it cost? (did you ship it to them?)

They emailed me a shipping label and took care of that cost both ways. They had me remove the board from the chassis and send it to them. I was responsible for packaging.

Only about a dozen screws to remove, real easy to do. Iirc, cost was $150 bucks. Looked to me that the upgrade may included a new board, but perhaps the just swapped some components and made it look new to my untrained eye. The power difference is obvious to hear though.

Mind you, I bought it used so they reached out to me asking if I’d be interested in doing this, and did all this for some random guy who bought a used amp.

The only way I’m aware they would have had my info is from some help they provided to me diagnosing a battery issue some months prior. The original had an SLA battery that shifted in shipping and was causing a buzz I couldn’t figure out. Send them a video and they called it out immediately in response. I took care of that issue and thanked them, then a few months later got an email from them asking if I’d be interested in upgrading.

The upgrade process also included a new lithium battery instead of the old SLA, so between a new battery and double the power I couldn’t pass it up. Service and support from EA has been extraordinary in my experience.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Hi,
I would like to buy a portale PA for 2 vocals and an acoustic guitar.
  • Bluetooth
  • reverb for both guitar and vocal
  • good sound
  • maximum price 1000usd
  • high quality sound for two vocals and guitar
  • battery, but not highly neseccary

I have considered the Bose S1 pro, but there is only two channels.

Any suggestions? :-)
TWO Roland Street Cube EXs?

...or even TWO standard Roland Street Cubes.

I love these amps, and they are LOUD!
Old 07-24-2020, 03:58 AM

Its quite expensive. For the total price og Bose S1 and field mixer I could buy the Elite A4-8 mkii (4 channel).

Instead of the field mixer, could I use this splitter cable with the Bose S1 Pro? (to get three channels total)
https://www.gear4music.no/no/G4M/Dua...ter-Cable/2Y94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
My Bose S1 is really perfect for me, and could be for you too if you need 3-channels.
I have what Captain Jim recommended above.

Attachment 40099

I also use my beloved Azden FMX-22 2-channel battery-powered field mixer, clipped to my belt.
Made in Japan, it supplies the +48v phantom power to my tiny clip-on DPA condenser mics.
Of course you can turn it off for dynamic mics.

It can mix both my voice and guitar into one channel, freeing up the other channel on the Bose S1 for your other vocalist.
It's also very nice to have the mixer controls at my fingertips when busking instead of having to stop and reach down to the ground - especially to quickly fix feedback.

The sound is crystal clear; now I just learn how to sing.

The mixer's regular price is $309, but Adorama is currently having a 4th of July sale, so it's only $249 - a really great deal!
With $1,000 budget ... $600 for the Bose + $249 for mixer = $849, leaving $251 for taxes/shipping or whatevs.

https://www.adorama.com/azfmx22.html...urce=adl-gbase

Attachment 40101
Old 07-30-2020, 02:56 PM

Anyone know how schertler jam 200 compares to the battery powered amps listed above?
Im concidering bying this one: https://m.thomannmusic.no/schertler_...rch=1596142526
Not sure if i need battery or bluetooth
Old 08-01-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Its quite expensive. For the total price og Bose S1 and field mixer I could buy the Elite A4-8 mkii (4 channel).

Instead of the field mixer, could I use this splitter cable with the Bose S1 Pro? (to get three channels total)
https://www.gear4music.no/no/G4M/Dua...ter-Cable/2Y94
But, my field mixer provides the phantom power both my tiny DPA condensers need.
The Bose S1 Pro doesn't have phantom power.

Also wouldn't using a splitter on balanced XLR connections result in an impedance mismatch?
Two things with the same impedance, in parallel, have half the impedance, altering the intended ideal frequency response.
And yes, the rig is expensive but the sound is 100% worth it if you can swing it, of course only if such sound quality is worth the cost ... to you.

Last edited by Tico; 08-01-2020 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:03 PM

Yes, I guess youre right about that.
Do you think the Elite acoustic amp would sound better (not louder) than Schertler Jam 200?

Im not sure if battery is absoluetly needed. Most places I play I guess there is power outlet. But bluetooth would be nice, I think. The schertler do not have both bluetooh or battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
But, my field mixer provides the phantom power both my tiny DPA condensers need.
The Bose S1 Pro doesn't have phantom power.

Also wouldn't using a splitter on balanced XLR connections result in an impedance mismatch?
Two things with the same impedance, in parallel, have half the impedance, altering the intended ideal frequency response.
And yes, the rig is expensive but the sound is 100% worth it if you can swing it, of course only if such sound quality is worth the cost ... to you.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Yes, I guess youre right about that.
Do you think the Elite acoustic amp would sound better (not louder) than Schertler Jam 200?
I'm sorry, but I don't have experience with either of those.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:51 AM

How do you think the sound compares to the Elite Acoustics A4-8 MK II 80W?
I only need Three channels, so the a4-8 should be Perfect to me I think. Also the size is a little bit smaller than D6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Yeah, an Elite Acoustics D6-8ii. I absolutely LOVE mine!

http://www.eliteacoustics.com/portfo...c_amplifier-2/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification