The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-12-2020, 10:59 AM

Default Wonderwall (solo guitar arrangement)

Wonderwall arranged for solo guitar. Instrument: Martin D15 mahogany

Old 11-16-2020, 02:50 AM
Charter Member

Lovely playing - great arrangement too. All round great recording.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Nice, very nice.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:29 AM
Charter Member

With the utmost of sincerity, LOVED IT!
The guitar sounded absolutely heavenly....Echo's like you were playing in an all rock canyon...
Please tell us your recording chain...Mics? Reverb..
I honestly thought at first that you had overdubbed and there were two guitars, a lead and strumming. Then I watched closely...WOW...you nailed it with little leads and strumming at the same time.
And, you are super even in your playing. That is a great part of what made this tune sound so ethereal. That All hog? was perfect for this sound. I think a spruce top would have been a little too defined and would have lost some of that mysteriousness.
I have only come on to listen to Show and Tell a couple of times. Mostly hang out on the regular side and the recording side. Going to have to visit here more often.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Great, lush arrangement! Dan
Old 11-18-2020, 11:49 PM

Wow, thanks all.

Knives & Guitars: I record in Logic X with a Scarlett Studio 2i2 interface and a no-name mic that came with the kit. The mic could use an upgrade here soon. The sound is just what I came up with toying with reverbs in Logic. I tend to be a reverb fiend and over-do it. The original mix had even heavier reverb. I went back and reduced it, knowing I have a tendency to oversaturate my mixes.

Yeah, it's a single track. My playing organically went in this direction over the last couple years. I'm mostly a jazz player but I've become drawn to the sound of pop/classics on the guitar as solo pieces. My favorite recording is Don't Fear The Reaper (it's on YouTube under Rob Wolfe). I'm going to do "Down In A Hole" by Alice In Chains next, and then Neil Young/CSNY's "Ohio", and will post them here of course.

Edit: Yup, all mahogany. It definitely buries the melody notes a little softer than I'd like, but the overall sound is worth it. I'm trying to get my hands on a decent spruce top for the recording of Down In A Hole. The only one I've played thus far that caught my attention was a used Taylor Custom Grand Concert, but at $4,200 that ain't coming home with me any time soon. Thing sounded absolutely immense though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
With the utmost of sincerity, LOVED IT!
The guitar sounded absolutely heavenly....Echo's like you were playing in an all rock canyon...
Please tell us your recording chain...Mics? Reverb..
I honestly thought at first that you had overdubbed and there were two guitars, a lead and strumming. Then I watched closely...WOW...you nailed it with little leads and strumming at the same time.
And, you are super even in your playing. That is a great part of what made this tune sound so ethereal. That All hog? was perfect for this sound. I think a spruce top would have been a little too defined and would have lost some of that mysteriousness.
I have only come on to listen to Show and Tell a couple of times. Mostly hang out on the regular side and the recording side. Going to have to visit here more often.

Last edited by arewolfe; 11-19-2020 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:01 AM

Excellent, very good job Sir

https://remylefer.bandcamp.com/follow_me

https://open.spotify.com/album/6trcd...qGm8CDlKj8yFiQ

Old 11-19-2020, 11:46 AM

That is well done in every way, nice job!
Old 11-20-2020, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arewolfe View Post
Wow, thanks all.

Knives & Guitars: I record in Logic X with a Scarlett Studio 2i2 interface and a no-name mic that came with the kit. The mic could use an upgrade here soon. The sound is just what I came up with toying with reverbs in Logic. I tend to be a reverb fiend and over-do it. The original mix had even heavier reverb. I went back and reduced it, knowing I have a tendency to oversaturate my mixes.

Yeah, it's a single track. My playing organically went in this direction over the last couple years. I'm mostly a jazz player but I've become drawn to the sound of pop/classics on the guitar as solo pieces. My favorite recording is Don't Fear The Reaper (it's on YouTube under Rob Wolfe). I'm going to do "Down In A Hole" by Alice In Chains next, and then Neil Young/CSNY's "Ohio", and will post them here of course.

Edit: Yup, all mahogany. It definitely buries the melody notes a little softer than I'd like, but the overall sound is worth it. I'm trying to get my hands on a decent spruce top for the recording of Down In A Hole. The only one I've played thus far that caught my attention was a used Taylor Custom Grand Concert, but at $4,200 that ain't coming home with me any time soon. Thing sounded absolutely immense though.
Love massive reverb sounds. Who Doesn't love to yell out in a large underground cement parking structure? Or sing into echoing Canyon Walls?
As my playing has progressed, & as I have finally found the right guitar to suit my style...I don't seem to need as much reverb anymore. However...there is still that occasional piece where massive reverb is the only thing that can express what I am feeling.
If you have a chance...Take a look at Larrivee 40 rosewood series guitars. You can often find them in the $1600 to $1800 range brand new. They also offer two different Top Spruce woods. Sitka which is the norm...Sitka gives you the most resonance or apparent harmonics. For an additional charge, you can purchase them with Moonwood Spruce. Moonwood seems to have a more fundamental presence to it. With Sitka more overall chime and overtones, with Moonwood more initial clarity.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Bolding View Post
That is well done in every way, nice job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rémy64 View Post
Excellent, very good job Sir
Much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Love massive reverb sounds. Who Doesn't love to yell out in a large underground cement parking structure? Or sing into echoing Canyon Walls?
As my playing has progressed, & as I have finally found the right guitar to suit my style...I don't seem to need as much reverb anymore. However...there is still that occasional piece where massive reverb is the only thing that can express what I am feeling.
If you have a chance...Take a look at Larrivee 40 rosewood series guitars. You can often find them in the $1600 to $1800 range brand new. They also offer two different Top Spruce woods. Sitka which is the norm...Sitka gives you the most resonance or apparent harmonics. For an additional charge, you can purchase them with Moonwood Spruce. Moonwood seems to have a more fundamental presence to it. With Sitka more overall chime and overtones, with Moonwood more initial clarity.
I will look at the specs and try to get one in my hands. Thanks!
Old 11-26-2020, 04:53 AM

Fantastic!
Old 11-30-2020, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

Wow!! Great playing. Thanks for sharing

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Tags
martin d15m, wonderwall